Getting a driving licence is necessary if you plan to use a motor vehicle on the public roads of Sikkim. As per the Motor Vehicle Act, 1988, one is legally-bound to hold a valid DL if he or she wishes to use a vehicle on public streets. Unlike the popular belief, it’s easy to obtain a driving licence in Sikkim, especially if you know the procedure for it. So, we’ve given below all the details on how to get a driving licence in Sikkim. Other than this, we have also provided the information to get an international driving permit without any hassles and the process of easily renewing the driving license in Sikkim.
Table of Contents
Types of Driving Licence (DL) in Sikkim (SK)
Broadly speaking, there are as many as 3 categories of driving licences —
- Driving license for 2-wheeler without gear: Apply for this category of DL if you plan to use a moped or a gearless scooter
- Driving license for Light Motor Vehicle (LMV): Apply for this type of DL if you plan to use a geared two-wheeler or drive a non-commercial four-wheeler like a car or an SUV
- Driving license issued for transport vehicles: Apply for this type of DL if you wish to drive a commercial vehicle
Sikkim (SK) Driving Licence (DL) – Eligibility Criteria
Any applicant for a driving licence in Sikkim needs to meet the following conditions-
- Should be a minimum of 16 years old for using a motorcycle with an engine of size of less than 50cc
- Should be at least 18 years old for using a motorcycle with an engine capacity of more than 50cc.
- For driving a heavy transport vehicle, the applicant of the DL should be a minimum of 20 years old.
- The applicant should be aware of all the traffic rules and regulations.
- The applicant should have a temporary driving licence for at least 30 days but not more than 180 days before he applies for a permanent DL.
Documents Required for Driving Licence in Sikkim
To apply for a DL in Sikkim, a self-attested copy of the below-mentioned documents should be provided to the RTO along with the application-
One of the below age proofs-
- Certificate from a state/ central government if you are an employee
- Birth Certificate
- Educational certificate
One of the below address proofs
- Voter’s ID
- Ration card
- Certificate obtained from a state/ central government or a local body if you are an employee of them
- LIC policy bond
- Application form 4
- Application form 5 if applying for commercial driving license
- Original learner’s license
- 3 passport size photographs
How to Apply for Driving Licence Offline in Sikkim (SK)?
One should go through the below procedure to submit an application for a permanent DL in Sikkim
- Step 1: Get an application form from the nearest RTO
- Step 2: The form can be even downloaded from the official website and the printed copy needs to be submitted to the RTO.
- Step 3: Fill the following details:
- Full Name
- Father’s Name
- Residential Address
- Educational Qualification
- Date of Birth
- Place of Birth
- Blood Group
- Identification Mark
- Step 4: Submit the address and age proofs and passport-size photos.
- Step 5: Secure an appointment for the first round of the test where your know-how of traffic rules will be analyzed.
- Step 6: Once you have passed the test, you’ll be given a learner’s licence. You need to apply for a permanent one after a minimum of 30 days and a maximum of 180 days of getting a permanent licence.
How to Apply for Driving Licence Online in Sikkim?
If you wish to apply online, you are required to follow the procedure-
Step 1: Visit www.sikkim.gov.in/departments/transport-department and select the Driving Licence option
Step 2: Download the application form and print it
Step 3: The filled form should be provided to the RTO
Step 4: Submit all the aforementioned documents
Step 5: Get a slot for the driving test
Step 6: Once you have passed the test, you need your license in 2 to 3 weeks
Steps to Check Driving Licence Application Status Online:
Steps to check driving licence status online through State Transport Department website:
In Sikkim, there are two methods to check the status of the driving licence application. First of these is to check it on the official website of the State Transport Department while the other one is to check it on the official website of the Ministry of Road Transport and Highway. Listed out below is the procedure to check it via the first method
- Step 1: Visit the website of the Transport Department of Sikkim
- Step 2: Click on ‘DL and LL registration’ option.
- Step 3: A new page will load, in which, click on ‘Know your application status’.
- Step 4: Enter your application number
- Step 5: Click on the ‘Submit’ button and you will be shown the status of your application.
Steps to check driving licence status online through the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways official website:
Mentioned below are all the steps that should be followed for checking the status of driving licence application via second method-
- Step 1: Go to parivahan.gov.in.
- Step 2: Click on ‘Driving license-related services’.
- Step 3: Select the state you reside in.
- Step 4: Click on ‘Verify status’ option on the new page that loads
- Step 5: Provide your application number and DOB
- Step 6: Fill in the correct captcha code.
- Step 7: You will be shown the status of your driving license.
How to Apply for a Duplicate Driving Licence in Sikkim?
Documents required while applying for a duplicate driving license in Sikkim
Seen below is the list of all the documents required to be provided to the RTO to obtain a duplicate licence in Sikkim
- Application form LLD
- FIR copy if the DL is stolen
- Challan clearance report issued by traffic police in case of commercial driving license
- Form 1
- Copy of Age Proof and Address Proof
- Copy of Original licence
- License number if the license is stolen
One needs to remember to get the photocopies of the documents attested by a gazetted officer or notary
Steps to apply for a Duplicate Driving Licence in Sikkim
Once you have paid the required fee for a duplicate driving licence, you are needed to submit the below documents to the RTO-
- Step 1: Completed form LLD at the RTO.
- Step 2: A fee of Rs. 200
- Step 3: On successful verification, the applicant receives a duplicate copy of driving license on the same day
If the applicant doesn’t remember the DL number, he should apply for a new licence.
How to Renew Driving Licence in Sikkim?
In Sikkim, a DL for a non-commercial vehicle is valid for 20 years or until the holder gets 50 years old (whatever comes earlier). On expiration, it needs to be renewed every 5 years. On the other hand, a driving licence for a CV is valid just for 3 years.
Documents required for renewal of driving license in Sikkim
- Form 9
- Copy of Expired driver’s licence.
- Form 1A if the driver’s age is more than 40 years
- 2 passport size photographs.
- Self-attested copies of age proof and address proof.
- Receipt of payment of application fee of Rs.200/-
Steps to apply for a Duplicate Licence in Sikkim
In Sikkim, you can either commence the application process to get a driving licence online or you can do it offline, based entirely on what is more convenient for you.
- Step 1: Obtain the required form from the RTO
- Step 2: Fill and submit the form along with the relevant documents at the RTO
- Step 3: On verification of the documents, the applicant will be issued the renewed license on the same day.
- Step 1: Visit the official transport website of Sikkim government
- Step 2: Download the form and print it
- Step 3: Submit it to the RTO with the necessary documents
- Step 4: A duplicate DL is issued after verification.
How to apply for an International Driving Licence in Sikkim?
For obtaining an international driving licence in Sikkim, you can visit an RTO in the state. There is no test for getting the international licence but holding a permanent DL is mandatory. The international driving licence issued in Sikkim is valid for 12 months.
Documents required for getting an International Driving License in Sikkim
Mentioned in the list below are the documents that you need to give to the RTO in case when applying for an international driving licence.
- Nationality proof
- Attested copy of the permanent driving license, visa and passport
- Attested copy of a residence proof
- 5 passport-sized photos
- Medical Form 1-A
Steps to apply for a Duplicate Licence in Sikkim
- Step 1: Visit the RTO website and select the renewal option.
- Step 2: Pay Rs.200/- fee for a duplicate licence
- Step 3: Submit all the necessary documents and obtain the duplicate DL after their successful verification
Driving Test Procedure in Sikkim
The driving test procedure in Sikkim stays pretty much the same as what it’s in other states of the country. Hence, even in this north-eastern state, the process of this test is defined by Rule 15 of the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988. A motor vehicle inspector from the RTO supervises the driving test and judges the candidate’s driving skills. An applicant needs to take along his own vehicle for giving the test. The vehicle needs to be of the same type for which he has applied for a DL. In case someone doesn’t own the required vehicle, he can use the vehicle of a motor driving school.
Test for Two-Wheeler & Three-Wheeler:
For the driving licence test of a two and a three-wheeler, the applicant needs to ride inside a boundary and show his riding skill by making a pattern of ‘8’ without touching his feet on the ground. The applicant is judged on the basis of how comfortable he is while controlling the vehicle. Once the invigilator is satisfied, he asks the candidate to ride on a public road. Based on the performance, the candidate is declared failed or passed.
Test for Four Wheeler
The test for driving licence of a four-wheeler is fundamentally similar to that of a two-wheeler as even here, the invigilator tests the skills of the examinee. In case of the DL test for a four-wheeler, the invigilator of the exam checks how comfortable the applicant is while controlling the vehicle. The candidate should drive on an H pattern marked on the testing ground without touching any of the columns. If satisfied, the invigilator asks the candidate to drive the car on a public road. If the examiner is happy with the performance, he passes the application for DL. However, if the candidate fails, he can reappear in the test after 7 days.
Tips for Clearing Your Driving Test:
- Be prepared before going for the test by practising a lot
- Maintain your confidence in front of the invigilator
- You should reach the testing ground ahead of time to avoid last moment hassles
- Shift gears smoothly
- Turn off the ignition only when the vehicle has completely stopped
- Use indicators when making a turn
Q: How can I check my driving license status in Sikkim?
A: You can verify the status of your driving licence application in Sikkim on sarathi.nic.in.
Q: What is the fee for application of driving license in Sikkim?
A: In Sikkim, the application fees for a driving license is Rs.200.
Q: What is the validity of a commercial license in Sikkim?
A: Akin to other states in the country, even in Sikkim, the validity of a commercial licence is 3 years.
Q: Is smart card DL issued in Sikkim?
A: Yes, you are given a smart card DL in the state of Sikkim.
Q: Is it necessary to know about traffic rules and regulations while driving in Sikkim?
A: Of course, like in other states, it is totally required to know all the traffic rules and regulations while driving in Sikkim.