Obtaining a driving licence is mandatory as per Motor Vehicle Act, 1988 in case you plan to use a motor vehicle on the public roads of Assam. While it’s believed that getting a DL is a hectic task, it’s completely untrue, especially if you know the procedure for it. So, below, we have provided all the details on how to get a driving licence in Assam. Also, we have even given details of how to get an international driving permit without any hassles and the process of easily renewing the driving license in Assam.
Table of Contents
Types of Driving Licence (DL) in Assam (AS)
Broadly speaking, there are as many as 3 categories of driving licences —
- Driving license for 2-wheeler without gear: Apply for this category of DL if you plan to use a moped or a gearless scooter
- Driving license for Light Motor Vehicle (LMV): Apply for this type of DL if you plan to use a geared two-wheeler or drive a non-commercial four-wheeler like a car or an SUV
- Driving license issued for transport vehicles: Apply for this type of DL if you wish to drive a commercial vehicle
Assam (AS) Driving Licence (DL) – Eligibility Criteria
Like in other parts of the country, in Assam, an applicant for a driving licence needs to meet the following conditions-
- Must be at least 16 years old for using a motorcycle with an engine of size of less than 50cc
- Must be at least 18 years old for using a motorcycle with an engine capacity of more than 50cc.
- Must be at least 20 years old for getting a licence of driving a heavy transport vehicle
- The applicant should be aware of all the traffic rules and regulations.
- The applicant should have a temporary driving licence for at least 30 days but not more than 180 days before he applies for a permanent DL.
Documents Required for Driving Licence in Assam
In order to apply for a driving licence in Assam, one should submit a self-attested copy of the below-mentioned documents to the RTO together with the application-
One of the below age proofs-
- Certificate from a state/ central government if you are an employee
- Birth Certificate
- Educational certificate
One of the below address proofs
- Voter’s ID
- Ration card
- Certificate obtained from a state/ central government or a local body if you are an employee of them
- LIC policy bond
- Application form 4
- Application form 5 if applying for commercial driving license
- Original learner’s license
- 3 passport size photographs
How to Apply for Driving Licence Offline in Assam (AS)?
For applying for a driving license offline in Assam by following the below procedure-
- Step 1: Get an application form from the nearest RTO
- Step 2: The form can be even downloaded from the official website and the printed copy needs to be submitted to the RTO.
- Step 3: Fill the following details:
- Full Name
- Father’s Name
- Residential Address
- Educational Qualification
- Date of Birth
- Place of Birth
- Blood Group
- Identification Mark
- Step 4: Provide the RTO with the address and age proofs and passport-size photos.
- Step 5: Get an appointment for the first round of the test. In this, your knowledge of traffic rules is tested.
- Step 6: On passing the test, you’ll be issued a learner’s licence. You can apply for a permanent DL after holding a learner’s licence for at least 30 days but not more than 180 days.
How to Apply for Driving Licence Online in Assam?
If you wish to apply online, you are required to follow the procedure-
To embed the code on your website, click on Copy Code button to copy the code.
- Step 1: Go to www.transport.assam.gov.in and select the Driving Licence option
- Step 2: Download the application form and print it
- Step 3: Submit the filled form to the RTO
- Step 4: Submit all the aforementioned documents
- Step 5: Obtain a slot for the driving test
- Step 6: On passing the test, you will receive your license in 2 to 3 weeks
Steps to Check Driving Licence Application Status Online:
Steps to check driving licence status online through State Transport Department website:
In Assam, you can find the status of your driving licence application through any of the two available methods. One of these is to find the status online on the official website of the State Transport Department. The other one is to check the status on the official website of the Ministry of Road Transport and Highway. Below is the process to check the status via the first method
- Step 1: Visit the website of the Transport Department of Assam
- Step 2: Click on ‘DL and LL registration’ option.
- Step 3: A new page will load, in which, click on ‘Know your application status’.
- Step 4: Enter your application number
- Step 5: Click on the ‘Submit’ button and you will be shown the status of your application.
Steps to check driving licence status online through the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways official website:
Seen below is a list of the steps that are needed to be followed for verifying the status of driving licence application via the second method-
- Step 1: Go to parivahan.gov.in.
- Step 2: Click on ‘Driving license-related services’.
- Step 3: Select the state you reside in.
- Step 4: Click on ‘Verify status’ option on the new page that loads
- Step 5: Provide your application number and DOB
- Step 6: Fill in the correct captcha code.
- Step 7: You will be shown the status of your driving license.
How to Apply for a Duplicate Driving Licence in Assam?
Documents required while applying for a duplicate driving license in Assam
Following are all the documents that are needed to be given to the RTO to have a duplicate licence in Assam
- Application form LLD
- FIR copy if the DL is stolen
- Challan clearance report issued by traffic police in case of commercial driving license
- Form 1
- Copy of Age Proof and Address Proof
- Copy of Original licence
- License number if the license is stolen
One needs to remember to get the photocopies of the documents attested by a gazetted officer or notary
Steps to apply for a Duplicate Driving Licence in Assam
After paying the fee for a duplicate DL, you should follow the below process at the RTO
- Step 1: Completed form LLD at the RTO.
- Step 2: A fee of Rs. 200
- Step 3: On successful verification, the applicant receives a duplicate copy of driving license on the same day
If the applicant doesn’t remember the DL number, he should apply for a new licence.
How to Renew Driving Licence in Assam?
In the state of Assam, a driving licence for a non-commercial vehicle has a validity of 20 years or till the holder attains the age of 50 years (whichever is earlier). Once expired, the DL should be renewed every 5 years. However, a driving licence for a commercial vehicle has a validity of 3 years.
Documents required for renewal of driving license in Assam
- Form 9
- Copy of Expired driver’s licence.
- Form 1A if the driver’s age is more than 40 years
- 2 passport size photographs.
- Self-attested copies of age proof and address proof.
- Receipt of payment of application fee of Rs.200/-
Steps to apply for a Duplicate Licence in Assam
In Assam, you can start the application process of getting a duplicate DL online or you can even do it offline.
- Step 1: Obtain the required form from the RTO
- Step 2: Fill and submit the form along with the relevant documents at the RTO
- Step 3: On verification of the documents, the applicant will be issued the renewed license on the same day.
- Step 1: Visit the official transport website of Assam government
- Step 2: Download the form and print it
- Step 3: Submit it to the RTO with the necessary documents
- Step 4: A duplicate DL is issued after verification.
How to apply for an International Driving Licence in Assam?
In Assam, for getting an international driving licence in Assam, you can visit any RTO in the entire state. While one must hold a permanent driving licence to be eligible, there is no need for a test. An international driving licence has a validity of 12 months.
Documents required for getting an International Driving License in Assam
Provided below are all the documents that are to be given to the RTO when applying for an international driving licence.
- Nationality proof
- Attested copy of the permanent driving license, visa and passport
- Attested copy of a residence proof
- 5 passport-sized photos
- Medical Form 1-A
Steps to apply for a Duplicate Licence in Assam
- Step 1: Go to the RTO website and select the renewal option.
- Step 2: Pay the fee of Rs.200/- for a duplicate licence
- Step 3: Provide all the necessary documents and get the duplicate driving licence after their successful verification
Driving Test Procedure in Assam
The driving test in Assam is exactly like how it is in other states of the country. Therefore, even in this north-eastern state of Assam, the procedure is governed by Rule 15 of the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988. The test is supervised by a motor vehicle inspector from the RTO and he decides to fail or pass the candidate on the basis of his driving skills. An applicant is required to have his own vehicle of the same class for which he has applied for a driving licence. However, if he doesn’t own the required vehicle, he should use a vehicle of a motor driving school.
Test for Two-Wheeler & Three-Wheeler:
In case of a driving licence test of a 2 and a 3-wheeler, the candidate needs to ride his vehicle inside a boundary and ride in a way to make a pattern of ‘8’ without having his feet touch the ground even once. The candidate is judged by the invigilator on the basis of how comfortable he is while controlling the vehicle. If satisfied, the invigilator tells the candidate to ride the vehicle on a public road. As per the performance, the candidate is passed or failed.
Test for Four Wheeler
The driving licence test for a 4-wheeler stays the same fundamentally similar to what happens in the 2 or 3-wheeler test. However, in this case, the applicant has to drive the vehicle on an H pattern marked on the testing ground without coming in contact with the columns placed on the perimeter. In case the invigilator is satisfied, he asks the applicant to drive on the public roads, where he judges how good the candidate is whle shifting geas, braking, turning and accelerating. If the candidate performs to the satisfaction of the examiner, he is marked passed. In case the candidate fails, he can reappear in the test after 7 days.
Tips for Clearing Your Driving Test:
- Practice will in advance so that you are confident enough when going to give the DL test
- Reach the testing ground ahead of time to avoid last moment hiccups
- Be smooth while changing gears, braking and turning
- Turn off the engine only after the vehicle has stopped completely.
- Use indicators when making a turn
Q: How to check driving license status in Assam?
A: You can check the status of your DL application online on sarathi.nic.in. You can even check driving license status offline at the RTO where you submitted your driving licence application.
Q: Is smart card DL issued in Assam?
A: Yes, smart card driving licence is issued in the state of Assam.
Q: What is the fees for the application of duplicate driving license?
A: The fees for application of duplicate driving license in Assam is Rs. 200.
Q: What are the documents required for adding another class to a driving license?
A: You are required to submit the following documents for the addition of new class to your DL:
- Driving license
- Learner’s license
- Application form in schedule IV
- Form 1 and form 1A
- Applicable application fee
Q: What is the validity of learner’s license in Assam?
A: In Assam, a learner’s license has a validity of 6 months.