Getting yourself a driving licence is of high importance if you wish to use a motor vehicle in the state of Tripura. As defined by the Motor Vehicle Act, 1988, it is compulsory for anyone using a motor vehicle to have a valid driving licence. While it’s believed to be a tough task to obtain a DL, one can’t be further away from the truth. Getting a driving licence in Tripura is a very easy task as long as you are aware of the correct procedure. In line with this, here are the required details on how to get a driving licence in Tripura. Other than this, we have also provided the information to get an international driving permit without any hassles and the process of easily renewing the driving license in Tripura.
Table of Contents
Types of Driving Licence (DL) in Tripura (TR)
Broadly speaking, there are as many as 3 categories of driving licences —
- Driving license for 2-wheeler without gear: One should obtain this type of driving licence if he or she plans to use a moped or a gearless scooter
- Driving license for Light Motor Vehicle (LMV): One needs to apply for this type of DL if he or she wishes to use a geared two-wheeler or drive a non-commercial four-wheeler like a car or an SUV
- Driving license issued for transport vehicles: One should apply for this type of driving licence if he or she wishes to drive a commercial vehicle
Tripura (TR) Driving Licence (DL) – Eligibility Criteria
Any applicant for a driving licence in Tripura needs to meet the following conditions-
- Should be a minimum of 16 years old for using a motorcycle with an engine of size of less than 50cc
- Should be at least 18 years old for using a motorcycle with an engine capacity of more than 50cc.
- For driving a heavy transport vehicle, the applicant of the DL should be a minimum of 20 years old.
- The applicant should be aware of all the traffic rules and regulations.
- The applicant should have a temporary driving licence for at least 30 days but not more than 180 days before he applies for a permanent DL.
Documents Required for Driving Licence in Tripura
In order to apply for a driving licence in Tripura, a self-attested copy of the following documents should be submitted to the RTO-
One of the below age proofs-
- Certificate from a state/ central government if you are an employee
- Birth Certificate
- Educational certificate
One of the below address proofs
- Voter’s ID
- Ration card
- Certificate obtained from a state/ central government or a local body if you are an employee of them
- LIC policy bond
- Application form 4
- Application form 5 if applying for commercial driving license
- Original learner’s license
- 3 passport size photographs
How to Apply for Driving Licence Offline in Tripura (TR)?
One should follow the below procedure for submitting an application for a permanent driving licence in Tripura
- Step 1: Get an application form from the nearest RTO
- Step 2: The form can be even downloaded from the official website and the printed copy needs to be submitted to the RTO.
- Step 3: Fill the following details:
- Full Name
- Father’s Name
- Residential Address
- Educational Qualification
- Date of Birth
- Place of Birth
- Blood Group
- Identification Mark
- Step 4: Submit the address and age proofs and passport-size photos.
- Step 5: Secure an appointment for the first round of the test where your know-how of traffic rules will be analyzed.
- Step 6: Once you have passed the test, you’ll be given a learner’s licence. You need to apply for a permanent one after a minimum of 30 days and a maximum of 180 days of getting a permanent licence.
How to Apply for Driving Licence Online in Tripura?
If you wish to apply online, you are required to follow the procedure mentioned below-
- Step 1: Visit www.tsu.trp.nic.in and select the Transport Department
- Step 2: Download the application form and print it
- Step 3: The filled form should be provided to the RTO
- Step 4: Submit all the aforementioned documents
- Step 5: Get a slot for the driving test
- Step 6: Once you have passed the test, you need your license in 2 to 3 weeks
Steps to Check Driving Licence Application Status Online:
Steps to check driving licence status online through State Transport Department website:
In Tripura, you can check the status of your driving licence application through any of the two available ways to check the status of your DL application online. One of these is to check on the official website of the State Transport Department while the second method is to verify the status on the official website of the Ministry of Road Transport and Highway. Following is the process to check the status through the first method
- Step 1: Visit the website of the Transport Department of Tripura
- Step 2: Click on ‘DL and LL registration’ option.
- Step 3: A new page will load, in which, click on ‘Know your application status’.
- Step 4: Enter your application number
- Step 5: Click on the ‘Submit’ button and you will be shown the status of your application.
Steps to check driving licence status online through the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways official website:
Given below is the procedure to check the status of driving licence application through the second method-
- Step 1: Go to parivahan.gov.in.
- Step 2: Click on ‘Driving license-related services’.
- Step 3: Select the state you reside in.
- Step 4: Click on ‘Verify status’ option on the new page that loads
- Step 5: Provide your application number and DOB
- Step 6: Fill in the correct captcha code.
- Step 7: You will be shown the status of your driving license.
How to Apply for a Duplicate Driving Licence in Tripura?
Documents required while applying for a duplicate driving license in Tripura
Given below is the list of all the documents that should be submitted to the RTO to obtain a duplicate licence in Tripura
- Application form LLD
- FIR copy if the DL is stolen
- Challan clearance report issued by traffic police in case of commercial driving license
- Form 1
- Copy of Age Proof and Address Proof
- Copy of Original licence
- License number if the license is stolen
All the photocopies of the documents should be submitted only after they are attested by a gazetted officer or notary
Steps to apply for a Duplicate Driving Licence in Tripura
Once you have paid the required fee for a duplicate driving licence, you are needed to submit the below documents to the RTO-
- Step 1: Completed form LLD at the RTO.
- Step 2: A fee of Rs. 200
- Step 3: On successful verification, the applicant receives a duplicate copy of driving license on the same day
In case the applicant no longer remembers the driving licence number, he has to apply for a fresh licence.
How to Renew Driving Licence in Tripura?
Like in every other state of the country, even in Tripura, a driving licence for a non-commercial vehicle has a validity of 20 years of it stays valid until the holder attains the age of 50 (whatever comes earlier). Once expired, the DL needs to be renewed every 5 years. On the other hand, in case of a commercial DL, the driving licence is valid only for 3 years.
Documents required for renewal of driving license in Tripura
- Form 9
- Copy of Expired driver’s licence.
- Form 1A if the driver’s age is more than 40 years
- 2 passport size photographs.
- Self-attested copies of age proof and address proof.
- Receipt of payment of application fee of Rs.200/-
Steps to apply for a Duplicate Licence in Tripura
In Tripura, you can either commence the application process to get a driving licence online or you can do it offline, based entirely on what is more convenient for you.
- Step 1: Obtain the required form from the RTO
- Step 2: Fill and submit the form along with the relevant documents at the RTO
- Step 3: On verification of the documents, the applicant will be issued the renewed license on the same day.
- Step 1: Go to the official transport website of Tripura government
- Step 2: Download the form and print it
- Step 3: Submit it along with the required documents at the RTO office.
- Step 4: Once the documents are verified successfully, a DL is issued.
How to apply for an International Driving Licence in Tripura?
If you want to apply for an international driving licence in Tripura, you need to visit any of the 4 RTOs located in the state. While you don’t need to give any test to obtain an international driving licence, you should be a holder of a permanent driving licence to be eligible for obtaining an international permit. The international driving licence issued in Tripura is valid for 12 months.
Documents required for getting an International Driving License in Tripura
Listed out below are all the documents that are needed to be submitted to the RTO in case you wish to apply for an international driving licence.
- Nationality proof
- Attested copy of the permanent driving license, visa and passport
- Attested copy of a residence proof
- 5 passport-sized photos
- Medical Form 1-A
Steps to apply for a Duplicate Licence in Tripura
- Step 1: Go the RTO website and select the renewal option.
- Step 2: Pay the fees of Rs.200/-
- Step 3: Submit all the required documents. A duplicate DL will be issued on successful verification of the documents.
Driving Test Procedure in Tripura
As we have been saying, the driving test procedure stays pretty much the same across all the states of the country. So, even in Tripura, the driving test is conducted according to Rule 15 of the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988. The driving test is supervised by a motor vehicle inspector who judges an applicant’s driving skills in test conditions. Also, the applicant of the driving licence should go to the testing ground with his own vehicle that is of the same category for which he requires a DL. In case the applicant doesn’t have such a vehicle, he should take along the vehicle of a motor driving school.
Test for Two-Wheeler & Three-Wheeler:
In case of the driving licence test for a two or a three-wheeler in Tripura, the candidate needs to ride the vehicle inside a boundary and showcase his riding skills by making a pattern of ‘8’ without placing his feet on the ground even once. In this test, the inspector notes how comfortable the applicant is with controlling the vehicle. If satisfied, the candidate is asked to ride on a public road. Based on how satisfied the invigilator is, the candidate is declared failed or passed.
Test for Four Wheeler:
The driving licence test for a 4-wheeler is practically the same as that for a two or a three-wheeler. Even in case of 4-wheelers, the motor vehicle inspector who supervises the test notes how comfortable the applicant is while using the vehicle. The examinee needs to drive on an ‘H’ pattern marked on the ground without coming in contact with any of the columns. On satisfying the invigilator, the applicant is then required to drive on the road. In case the applicant fails, he can apply for a retest after seven days.
Tips for Clearing Your Driving Test:
- Practice well before going for the test
- Stay confident in front of the invigilator
- Reach to the testing ground earlier than the given time slot to avoid last moment delays
- Shift gears smoothly
- Turn off the ignition only after the vehicle has come to a complete stop
- Use indicators on a turn
Q: How can I check driving license status in Tripura?
A: You can check the status of your driving license application online in Tripura on tsu.trp.nic.in/transport/public/sarathi/license_citz.aspx.
Q: Where can I apply for a DL in Tripura?
A: You can apply for a driving licence in Tripura in any of the following RTOs-
- West Tripura RTO
- South Tripura RTO
- Ambassa RTO
- Kailashahar RTO
Q: Can I avail smart card DL in Tripura?
A: Yes, you can avail smart card DL in Tripura.
Q: What is the validity of learner’s license in Tripura?
A: Like in all other states, a learner’s license issued in Tripura has a validity of 6 months.
Q: Is there any application fees for DL test in Tripura?
A: Yes, you need to pay a fee of Rs. 50 for the driving licence test
Q: Will I be asked to drive while applying for renewal of driving license in Tripura?
A: No, you do not need to give the driving test again on getting the DL renewed in Tripura.