Obtaining a driving license in Delhi is not at all a complicated job in case you know the procedure that is required to be followed. The driving license or DL, as it’s commonly called, is a highly important document that needs to be obtained if you wish to drive a vehicle on the public roads of Delhi. Here, we provide you a detailed guide on how to apply for driving licence in Delhi. We also tell you how to obtain an international driving permit and how to renew the driving license in Delhi.
Table of Contents
Types of Driving Licence (DL) in Delhi
As per the kind of vehicle you wish to use, you can apply for the driving license at the RTO near your residence in Delhi-
- Driving license for motorcycle without gear: This is the DL you should obtain in case you wish to use a moped or scooters that don’t have gear.
- Driving license issued for light motor vehicles: This is the kind of driving license you need to obtain in case you need to use a two-wheeler with gears or a privte motor vehicle (cars, SUVs, MPVs).
- Driving license issued for transport vehicles: In case you wish to drive heavy motor vehicles that transport goods or passengers, you need to obtain this DL.
Delhi Driving Licence (DL) – Eligibility Criteria
The following conditions are required to be met by an applicant if he or she wishes to obtain a driving licence in Delhi-
- Age should be a minimum of 18 years
- Applicant should already hold a learner’s license
- Applicant should apply for a permanent driving license only after 30 days or within 180 days of obtaining a learner’s license.
- He or she should know of all the traffic rules and regulations.
- In case of applying for a commercial driving license, the applicant should be at least 20 years old.
Documents Required for Driving Licence in Delhi
For applying for DL in Delhi, the applicant needs to submit the following documents to the relevant RTO office-
One of the below mentioned documents for the Age proof-
- Educational certificate
- Birth certificate
- Attested copy of the passport
- Certificate issued from the employer if you are working for state/ central government or a local body.
One of the below mentioned documents for Address Proof
- Voter’s ID
- Ration card
- LIC policy bond
- Valid passport
- Employers certificate issued by local/central or state government
- Application form 4
- Application form 5 in case of applying for a commercial driving license
- Original learner’s license
- Three passport size photographs
How to Apply for Driving Licence Offline in Delhi?
When applying for a permanent driving license offline in Delhi, one is required to follow the below procedure procedure:
- Step 1: Visit the RTO that is relevant to your locality and obtain an application form.
- Step 2: The same form can be even downloaded from the official website and a printed copy can be used for submission. nearest RTO and obtain the application form.
- Step 3: Fill the following details:
- Full Name
- Father’s Name
- Residential Address
- Educational Qualification
- Date of Birth
- Place of Birth
- Blood Group
- Identification Mark
- Step 4: Submit address proof, age proof and passport-size photos.
- Step 5: You will be given an appointment for the first round of test. The RTO officers will even test your knowledge of traffic rules. The test will be conducted online at the RTO.
- Step 6: After you have passed, the learner’s license will be issued to you. A permanent driving licence can be obtained only if have a learner’s licence for a minimum of 30 days and a maximum of 180 days.
How to Apply for Driving Licence Online in Delhi?
In order to apply for a permanent driving licence online in Delhi, the below given steps should be followed-
- Step 1: Visit www.transport.delhi.gov.in and obtain the application form and print it
- Step 2: Submit the duly filled form at the RTO near your residence.
- Step 3: Submit all the required documents
- Step 4: You will be given a slot for the driving test
- Step 5: On passing the test, you will get your license in 2 to 3 weeks
Steps to Check Driving Licence Application Status Online:
Steps to check driving licence status online through State Transport Department website:
You can check the status of the driving licence online through any of the two following steps. One of them is to figure out the status of the driving license on the State Transport’s official website. Otherwise, you can check the status on the official website of the Ministry of Road Transport and Highway. The same can be done through the following steps-
- Step 1: Visit the official website of the Transport Department of Delhi
- Step 2: Click on ‘DL and LL registration’ option.
- Step 3: A new page will load, in which, click on ‘Know your application status’.
- Step 4: Enter your application number
- Step 5: Click on ‘Submit’ button and you will be shown the status of your application.
Steps to check driving licence status online through Ministry of Road Transport and Highways official website:
- Step 1: Visit parivahan.gov.in.
- Step 2: Click on ‘Driving license-related services’.
- Step 3: Select the state you reside in.
- Step 4: On the new page that loads, click on ‘Verify status’ option
- Step 5: Enter your application number and date of birth.
- Step 6: Fill in the correct captcha code.
- Step 7: You will be shown the status of your driving license.
How to Apply for a Duplicate Driving Licence in Delhi?
Documents required while applying for a duplicate driving license in Delhi:
When applying for a duplicate driving licence in Delhi, the following documents are required to be submitted-
- Application form LLD
- FIR copy will be required if the DL is stolen
- Challan clearance report given by the traffic police in case of commercial driving license
- Form 1
- Copy of Age and address proof documents.
- Copy of Original licence
- License number if the license is stolen
- The photocopied documents are required to be attested by a gazetted officer or notary public.
Steps to apply for a Duplicate Driving Licence in Delhi:
After submitting the above documents, one can apply for a duplicate driving licence in Delhi through the following steps.
- Step 1: Submit duly filled form LLD at the RTO.
- Step 2: Submit a fee of Rs. 200
- Step 3: Once the documents are successfully verified, a duplicate driving license will be provided
In case you are not aware of your licence number, you will need to reapply for a new driving licence. Also, one needs to apply for duplicate driving licence within 30 days of loss.
How to Renew Driving Licence in Delhi?
License to drive a Non-Transport Vehicle is valid for 20 years from the date of issue or until the holder attains the age of 50 years, whichever is earlier. After that, the License is renewed every 5 years. Transport Vehicle License is valid for a period of 3 years from the date of issue or renewal.
Documents required for renewal of driving license in Delhi:
- Filled application form 9
- A copy of the expired driver’s licence.
- Medical certificate and Form 1 A if the driver’s age is more than 40 years
- 2 passport size photographs.
- Self-attested copies of age proof and address proof.
- Application fee of Rs.200/- and receipt.
Steps to apply for a Duplicate Licence in Delhi:
- Step 1: Visit the RTO website and select the tab for renewal.
- Step 2: Apply for the renewal and pay the fees of Rs.200/- for the smart card driving licence issued in Delhi.
- Step 3: Submit the necessary documents to expedite the request quicker. As soon as the documents will be verified, you will be issued the new driving licence.
- Step 1: Collect the form from the RTO
- Step 2: Fill and submit the form along with the relevant documents at the RTO
- Step 3: On verification of the documents, the applicant will be issued the renewed license on the same day.
- Step 1: Visit the official transport website of Delhi government- .transport.delhi.gov.in
- Step 2: Download the form and print it
- Step 3: Submit the filled form along with the required documents at the RTO office.
- On successful verification of the documents, a driving license will be issued.
How to apply for an International Driving Licence in Delhi?
One can obtain an International driving license from any of the RTOs in Delhi. The international driving license has a validity of 12 months. It’s required to have a permanent driving licence to apply for an international permit. A fee of Rs 500 needs to be paid.
Documents required for getting an International Driving License in Delhi:
The below mentioned documents are required to be submitted when applying for an international driving licence in Delhi-
- Valid proof of nationality
- Attested copy of the valid driving license, passport and visa
- Attested copy of a valid residence proof
- Five passport-sized photos
- Medical Form 1-A
Steps to apply for a Duplicate Licence in Delhi:
- Step 1: In order to get the driving licence renewed, you need to visit the RTO website and select the tab for renewal.
- Step 2: Apply for the renewal and pay the fees of Rs.200/- for the smart card driving licence that is issued in Delhi.
- Step 3: Submit the necessary documents. You will be issued the new driving licence as soon as your documents are verified
Driving Test Procedure in Delhi:
In Delhi, a Motor Vehicle Inspector supervises the driving tests for permanent licence. Regardless of whether you have applied for a DL online of offline, you will be required to visit the RTO to undergo a test. For this, one is required to have his own vehicle, which should be of the same class as the one for which an application is given. If you don’t have a vehicle, you can bring along a motor vehicle from your driving school
Test for Two-Wheeler & Three-Wheeler
The applicant for a DL for two-wheeler or three-wheeler has to ride his or her vehicle within a given border and make ‘Eight’ figure without touching the poles embedded at the corners. The inspector will even analyse how comfortably the applicant can change gears, control vehicle in corners or reversing, and during the making of ‘figure of eight’ without the feet touching the ground. In case the applicant is successful in satisfying the inspector, he is given an approval for a road test where he or she should ride properly for some distance on a public road.
Test for Four Wheeler:
Driving test for four-wheeler is mostly similar in nature to that of two or three-wheeler. However, in this case, the applicant is required to drive along the marked ‘H’ without touching the columns. Once the applicant has satisfied the inspected with his driving skills, he or she is required to drive properly for some distance on a public road. In case a candidate fails in either of the tests, a re-test is conducted within 7 days and a nominal fee is charged.
Tips for Clearing Your Driving Test:
- Practice in advance so that you are confident of your driving skills.
- Arrive a little early for the test
- Don’t turn off the bike or car till it has come to a total halt.
- Shift gears smoothly.
- Use both side and rear mirrors while riding.
- While turning, show an indicator and hand signal.
- The Driving test should not last more than 15 mins.
- An RTO officer will be present to see how well you drive. While driving the car, he will sit beside you to check the movement of the clutch and gear.
Q: Why do people hang the ‘L’ size board while driving?
A: People can be seen hanging the L sign board on their vehicles to show other road users that they are new to driving or riding and hence, one should be careful while being near them. It’s also mandatory by law for all holders of learner’s licence to have the L sign on their vehicles.
Q: Is commercial driving license in Delhi valid for 20 years?
A: In case of commercial driving license, it is required to be renewed every three years.
Q: How can I check driving license status in Delhi?
A: You can check the status of the driving licence online either on the State Transport’s official website or on the official website of the Ministry of Road Transport and Highwa
Q: How long is my driving license valid?
A: A driving licence for private vehicle is valid for 20 years, while one for commercial vehicles is required to be renewed every 3 years.
Q: Is it necessary that I go for driving training from a Motor Driving School?
A: No, in case of private or non-commercial vehicles, it is not compulsory
Q: Why should my record be substantiated to renew my commercial license?
A: The renewal of license for commercial driving vehicle license takes a thorough substantiation before the license is sent to you through speed post.