Getting a driving license in Maharashtra is not tough if you are fully aware of the process that needs to be followed. The DL (driving license) is a very important piece of document that is necessary to be obtained in case you plan to drive a vehicle on public roads of Maharashtra. Here, in this post, we have provided you with a detailed guide on how to obtain a driving licence in Maharashtra. Other than this, we have also given you information on how to obtain an international driving permit and how to renew the driving license in Maharashtra.
Table of Contents
Types of Driving Licence (DL) in Maharashtra (MH)
As is the case in other states of the country, even in Maharashtra, you need to apply for a type of driving licence as per the kind of vehicle you plan to use. There are the available categories-
- Driving license for a motorcycle without gear: In case you need to ride a motorcycle or a scooter that doesn’t have manual gear, you need to apply for this kind of DL.
- Driving license for light motor vehicles: This is the type of driving license you need to apply for in case you plan to ride a two-wheeler with gears or a light motor vehicle such as cars, SUVs or MPVs.
- Driving license issued for transport vehicles: In case you wish to drive heavy motor vehicles that transport goods or passengers, you need to obtain this DL.
Maharashtra (MH) Driving Licence (DL) – Eligibility Criteria
An applicant of a driving licence needs to satisfy the following conditions in order to get a driving licence-
- Should be at least 18 years old
- Should already have a learner’s license
- Should apply for a permanent driving license only after 30 days or within 180 days of obtaining a learner’s license.
- Should be aware of all the traffic rules and regulations.
- Should be at least 20 years old if applying for a commercial driving license.
Documents Required for Driving Licence in Maharashtra
When applying for a driving licence in Maharashtra, the person applying needs to submit a self-attested copy of the following documents to the RTO –
One of the following documents for the Age proof-
- Birth Certificate
- Educational certificate
- Certificate issued from the employer if you are working for state/ central government or a local body.
One of the following documents for Address Proof
- Ration card
- Voter’s ID
- LIC policy bond
- Employers certificate issued by local/central or state government
- Application form 4
- Application form 5 in case of applying for a commercial driving license
- Original learner’s license
- Three passport size photographs
How to Apply for Driving Licence Offline in Maharashtra?
In case you have applied for a permanent driving license offline in Maharashtra, you need to go through the following procedure
- Step 1: Visit the RTO near you and collect an application form
- Step 2: The application form can be also downloaded from the official website and the printed copy can be submitted at the nearest RTO.
- Step 3: Fill the following details:
- Full Name
- Father’s Name
- Residential Address
- Educational Qualification
- Date of Birth
- Place of Birth
- Blood Group
- Identification Mark
- Step 4: Submit address proof, age proof and passport-size photos.
- Step 5: You will receive an appointment for the first round of the test where your knowledge of traffic rules will be also tested.
- Step 6: After passing the test, a learner’s license will be issued. A permanent driving licence can be obtained only if have a learner’s licence for a minimum of 30 days and a maximum of 180 days.
How to Apply for Driving Licence Online in Maharasthra?
To apply for a permanent driving licence online in Maharashtra, the following steps should be followed-
- Step1: Go to transport.maharashtra.gov.in and get the application form and print it
- Step 2: Submit the completed form at the RTO
- Step 3: Submit all the necessary documents
- Step 4: You will get a slot for the driving test
- Step 5: On successfully completing the test, you will obtain your license in 2 to 3 weeks
Steps to Check Driving Licence Application Status Online:
Steps to check driving licence status online through State Transport Department website:
You can verify the status of your driving licence online through any of the following tw methods. One is to check the status of the driving license on the State Transport’s official website. Otherwise, you can also check the status of your driving license on the official website of the Ministry of Road Transport and Highway. The same can be done through the following steps-
- Step 1: Visit the official website of the Transport Department of Maharashtra
- Step 2: Click on ‘DL and LL registration’ option.
- Step 3: A new page will load, in which, click on ‘Know your application status’.
- Step 4: Enter your application number
- Step 5: Click on the ‘Submit’ button and you will be shown the status of your application.
Steps to check driving licence status online through the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways official website:
- Step 1: Visit parivahan.gov.in.
- Step 2: Click on ‘Driving license-related services’.
- Step 3: Select the state you reside in.
- Step 4: On the new page that loads, click on ‘Verify status’ option
- Step 5: Enter your application number and date of birth.
- Step 6: Fill in the correct captcha code.
- Step 7: You will be shown the status of your driving license.
How to Apply for a Duplicate Driving Licence in Maharashtra?
Documents required while applying for a duplicate driving license in Maharashtra
If applying for a duplicate driving licence in Maharashtra, the following documents are required to be submitted-
- Application form LLD
- FIR copy will be required if the DL is stolen
- Challan clearance report given by the traffic police in case of commercial driving license
- Form 1
- Copy of Age and address proof documents.
- Copy of Original licence
- License number if the license is stolen
- The photocopied documents are required to be attested by a gazetted officer or notary public.
Steps to apply for a Duplicate Driving Licence in Maharashtra:
After submitting the above-mentioned documents, one can apply for a duplicate driving licence in Maharashtra through the following steps.
- Step 1: Submit the completed form LLD at the RTO.
- Step 2: Submit a fee of Rs. 200
- Step 3: On successful verification, a duplicate driving license will be given
In case you don’t remember your licence number, you will have to apply for a new driving licence. Also, one is required to apply for a duplicate driving licence within 30 days of loss of the original copy.
How to Renew Driving Licence in Maharashtra?
License to drive a Non-Transport Vehicle is valid for 20 years from the date of issue or until the holder attains the age of 50 years, whichever is earlier. After that, the License is renewed every 5 years. Transport Vehicle License is valid for a period of 3 years from the date of issue or renewal.
Documents required for renewal of driving license in MH:
- Filled application form 9
- A copy of the expired driver’s licence.
- Medical certificate and Form 1 A if the driver’s age is more than 40 years
- 2 passport size photographs.
- Self-attested copies of age proof and address proof.
- Application fee of Rs.200/- and receipt.
Steps to apply for a Duplicate Licence in Maharashtra:
- Step 1: Visit the RTO website and select the tab for renewal.
- Step 2: Apply for the renewal and pay the fees of Rs.200/- for the smart card driving licence issued in Maharashtra
- Step 3: Submit the necessary documents to expedite the request quicker. As soon as the documents will be verified, you will be issued the new driving licence.
- Step 1: Collect the form from the RTO
- Step 2: Fill and submit the form along with the relevant documents at the RTO
- Step 3: On verification of the documents, the applicant will be issued the renewed license on the same day.
- Step 1: Visit the official transport website of Maharashtra government
- Step 2: Download the form and print it
- Step 3: Submit the filled form along with the required documents at the RTO office.
- On successful verification of the documents, a driving license will be issued.
How to apply for an International Driving Licence in Maharashtra?
One can obtain an International driving license from any of the RTOs in Maharashtra. The international driving license has a validity of 12 months. It’s required to have a permanent driving licence to apply for an international permit. A fee of Rs 500 needs to be paid.
Documents required for getting an International Driving License in Maharashtra:
The below-mentioned documents are required to be submitted when applying for an international driving licence in Maharashtra
- Valid proof of nationality
- Attested copy of the valid driving license, passport and visa
- Attested copy of a valid residence proof
- Five passport-sized photos
- Medical Form 1-A
Steps to apply for a Duplicate Licence in Maharashtra:
- Step 1: In order to get the driving licence renewed, you need to visit the RTO website and select the tab for renewal.
- Step 2: Apply for the renewal and pay the fees of Rs.200/- for the smart card driving licence that is issued in Maharashtra.
- Step 3: Submit the necessary documents. You will be issued the new driving licence as soon as your documents are verified
Driving Test Procedure in Maharashtra:
In Maharashtra, a Motor Vehicle Inspector supervises the driving tests for permanent licence. Regardless of whether you have applied for a DL online of offline, you will be required to visit the RTO to undergo a test. For this, one is required to have his own vehicle, which should be of the same class as the one for which an application is given. If you don’t have a vehicle, you can bring along a motor vehicle from your driving school
Test for Two-Wheeler & Three-Wheeler
The applicant for a DL for two-wheeler or three-wheeler has to ride his or her vehicle within a given border and make ‘Eight’ figure without touching the poles embedded at the corners. The inspector will even analyse how comfortably the applicant can change gears, control vehicle in corners or reversing, and during the making of ‘figure of eight’ without the feet touching the ground. In case the applicant is successful in satisfying the inspector, he is given an approval for a road test where he or she should ride properly for some distance on a public road.
Test for Four Wheeler:
Driving test for four-wheeler is mostly similar in nature to that of two or three-wheeler. However, in this case, the applicant is required to drive along the marked ‘H’ without touching the columns. Once the applicant has satisfied the inspected with his driving skills, he or she is required to drive properly for some distance on a public road. In case a candidate fails in either of the tests, a re-test is conducted within 7 days and a nominal fee is charged.
Tips for Clearing Your Driving Test:
- Practice in advance so that you are confident of your driving skills.
- Arrive a little early for the test
- Don’t turn off the bike or car till it has come to a total halt.
- Shift gears smoothly.
- Use both side and rear mirrors while riding.
- While turning, show an indicator and hand signal.
- The Driving test should not last more than 15 mins.
- An RTO officer will be present to see how well you drive. While driving the car, he will sit beside you to check the movement of the clutch and gear.
Q: What is the procedure for address change in a Maharashtra Driving License?
A: Below is the step-by-step procedure:
Step 1: Submit your documents online.
Step 2: Pay Drivekool service charge online.
Step 3: Visit RTO and meet Drivekool executive.
Step 4: Complete your Change of Address in license Process by giving biometric test in RTO.
Step 5: Get your Driving license within 10-15 working days via post.
Q: Where can I get a learner’s license in Maharashtra?
A: You need to visit an RTO in the area of your residence and apply for a learner’s license
Q: Do I have to give a test for getting an international driving license?
A: While it’s not required to give a test for getting an international driving license, it’s compulsory to hold a permanent driving license.
Q: Do I have to take my own car for giving driving license test in Maharashtra?
A: It’s recommended to take the car you plan to drive to give a driving license test. However, if you don’t have a car, you can take the car from the centre where you learnt driving.
Q: How to make corrections in a driving license in Maharashtra?
A: As driving license also serves as an important identity document, it is important there is no mistake in the details given on it. In case of any minor correction, you need to follow below procedure to get the details corrected. The application for correction can be given to the RTO that has issued your DL. Next, submit the following documents:
1. Application form
2. Submit supporting documents
3. Copy of the driving license
Corrected driving license will be issued within a period of 7 days
Q: Is a learner’s licence mandatory when applying for a Driver’s licence?
A: Yes, holding a learner’s licence for not less than 30 days and more than 180 days is mandatory when applying for a permanent driver’s licence.
Q: What documents do I have to submit pertaining to my car when applying for a driver’s licence in Maharashtra?
A: Below are the documents required:
1. Registration certificate.
2. Car insurance proof.
3. Fitness certificate (in case of transport vehicles)
4. Tax payment proof.
Q: What documents should I keep with me when driving?
A: You need to carry the following documents in your vehicle:
1. Registration Certificate
3. Copy of Insurance of Vehicle