As per the Motor Vehicle Act, 1988, having a driving licence is compulsory in case you wish to use a motor vehicle on the public roads of the country. In case you are a resident of the North-eastern state of Arunachal Pradesh and have been wondering how to easily get a driving licence in Arunachal Pradesh without requiring to pay a broker, our guide here should be highly helpful to you. In fact, other than telling you how to get a driving licence, we have also told you how to get an international driving permit without any trouble. That’s not all as we have also given the procedure of easily renewing the driving license in Arunachal Pradesh.
Types of Driving Licence (DL) in Arunachal Pradesh (AR)
There are 3 broad categories of driving licences —
- Driving license for 2-wheeler without gear: Apply for this category of DL if you plan to use a moped or a gearless scooter
- Driving license for Light Motor Vehicle (LMV): Apply for this type of DL if you plan to use a geared two-wheeler or drive a non-commercial four-wheeler like a car or an SUV
- Driving license issued for transport vehicles: Apply for this type of DL if you wish to drive a commercial vehicle
Arunachal Pradesh (AR) Driving Licence (DL) – Eligibility Criteria
In Arunachal Pradesh, anyone who wishes to apply for a driving licence needs to meet the below criteria-
- Must be at least 16 years old for using a motorcycle with an engine of size of less than 50cc
- Must be at least 18 years old for using a motorcycle with an engine capacity of more than 50cc.
- Must be at least 20 years old for getting a licence of driving a heavy transport vehicle
- The applicant should be aware of all the traffic rules and regulations.
- The applicant should have a temporary driving licence for at least 30 days but not more than 180 days before he applies for a permanent DL.
Documents Required for Driving Licence in Arunachal Pradesh
To apply for a driving licence in Arunachal Pradesh, a self-attested copy of the following documents are required to be provided to the RTO
One of the below age proofs-
- Certificate from a state/ central government if you are an employee
- Birth Certificate
- Educational certificate
One of the below address proofs
- Voter’s ID
- Ration card
- Certificate obtained from a state/ central government or a local body if you are an employee of them
- LIC policy bond
- Application form 4
- Application form 5 if applying for commercial driving license
- Original learner’s license
- 3 passport size photographs
How to Apply for Driving Licence Offline in Arunachal Pradesh (AR)?
For applying for a driving license offline in Arunachal Pradesh by following the below procedure-
- Step 1: Get an application form from the nearest RTO
- Step 2: The form can be even downloaded from the official website and the printed copy needs to be submitted to the RTO.
- Step 3: Fill the following details:
- Full Name
- Father’s Name
- Residential Address
- Educational Qualification
- Date of Birth
- Place of Birth
- Blood Group
- Identification Mark
- Step 4: Provide the RTO with the address and age proofs and passport-size photos.
- Step 5: Get an appointment for the first round of the test. In this, your knowledge of traffic rules is tested.
- Step 6: On passing the test, you’ll be issued a learner’s licence. You can apply for a permanent DL after holding a learner’s licence for at least 30 days but not more than 180 days.
How to Apply for Driving Licence Online in Arunachal Pradesh?
If you wish to apply online, you are required to follow the procedure-
- Step 1: Go to www.arunachalipr.gov.in and select the Driving Licence option
- Step 2: Download the application form and print it
- Step 3: Submit the filled form to the RTO
- Step 4: Submit all the aforementioned documents
- Step 5: Obtain a slot for the driving test
- Step 6: On passing the test, you will receive your license in 2 to 3 weeks
Steps to Check Driving Licence Application Status Online:
Steps to check driving licence status online through State Transport Department website:
In case you need to check the status of your driving licence application in Arunachal Pradesh, you can do any of the two available methods, One of these is to check out the status online on the website of the State Transport Department, while other is to check the status on the website of Ministry of Road Transport and Highway. For the first method, one should follow the below steps-
- Step 1: Visit the website of the Transport Department of Arunachal Pradesh
- Step 2: Click on ‘DL and LL registration’ option.
- Step 3: A new page will load, in which, click on ‘Know your application status’.
- Step 4: Enter your application number
- Step 5: Click on the ‘Submit’ button and you will be shown the status of your application.
Steps to check driving licence status online through the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways official website:
Listed out below are the steps that one needs to follow to get to know the status of his or her driving application using the second method mentioned above. –
- Step 1: Go to parivahan.gov.in.
- Step 2: Click on ‘Driving license-related services’.
- Step 3: Select the state you reside in.
- Step 4: Click on ‘Verify status’ option on the new page that loads
- Step 5: Provide your application number and DOB
- Step 6: Fill in the correct captcha code.
- Step 7: You will be shown the status of your driving license.
How to Apply for a Duplicate Driving Licence in Arunachal Pradesh?
Documents required while applying for a duplicate driving license in Arunachal Pradesh
Below is a list of all the documents that one needs to submit to the RTO to obtain a duplicate licence in Arunachal Pradesh
- Application form LLD
- FIR copy if the DL is stolen
- Challan clearance report issued by traffic police in case of commercial driving license
- Form 1
- Copy of Age Proof and Address Proof
- Copy of Original licence
- License number if the license is stolen
It’s noteworthy here that the photocopies of the documents are required to be attested by a gazetted officer or notary
Steps to apply for a Duplicate Driving Licence in Arunachal Pradesh
Once the fee for a duplicate DL has been paid, one should go through the below process at the RTO
- Step 1: Completed form LLD at the RTO.
- Step 2: A fee of Rs. 200
- Step 3: On successful verification, the applicant receives a duplicate copy of driving license on the same day
If the applicant doesn’t remember the DL number, he should apply for a new licence.
How to Renew Driving Licence in Arunachal Pradesh?
In AP, the validity of a driving licence for a non-commercial is 20 years or till the holder becomes 50 years old (whichever is earlier). Once expired, the DL should be renewed every 5 years. On the other hand, a driving licence for a commercial vehicle has a validity of just 3 years.
Documents required for renewal of driving license in Arunachal Pradesh
- Form 9
- A photocopy of Expired driver’s licence.
- Form 1A is required in case the driver’s age is more than 40 years
- 2 passport size photographs.
- Self-attested copies of age proof and address proof.
- Receipt of payment of application fee of Rs.200/-
Steps to apply for a Duplicate Licence in Arunachal Pradesh
In Arunachal Pradesh, you can either initiate the process of procurement of a duplicate DL online or offline, depending entirely on your convenience.
- Step 1: Get the required form from the RTO
- Step 2: Fill and submit the form along with the relevant documents at the RTO
- Step 3: On verification of the documents, the applicant will be issued the renewed license on the same day.
- Step 1: Go to the official transport website of Arunachal Pradesh government
- Step 2: Download the form
- Step 3: Print the form and fill it
- Step 4: Submit the form to the RTO along with the required documents
- Step 5: A duplicate DL is issued after successful verification.
How to apply for an International Driving Licence in Arunachal Pradesh?
In Arunachal Pradesh, you can visit any of the RTOs to apply for an international driving licence. While you need to hold a permanent DL to be eligible to apply for an international licence, there is no test.
Documents required for getting an International Driving License in Arunachal Pradesh
Given below are all the necessary documents that are to be produced to the RTO on the application of an international driving licence
- Nationality proof
- Attested copy of the permanent driving license, visa and passport
- Attested copy of a residence proof
- 5 passport-sized photos
- Medical Form 1-A
Steps to apply for a Duplicate Licence in Arunachal Pradesh
- Step 1: Visit the official website of the RTO and choose the renewal option.
- Step 2: Pay a fee of Rs.200 for the duplicate licence
- Step 3: Submit the required documents to the RTO and obtain the duplicate DL on successful verification
Driving Test Procedure in Arunachal Pradesh
As is the case in all parts of the country, even in Arunachal Pradesh, the driving test is conducted as per the Rule 15 of the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988. The driving test is supervised by a motor vehicle inspector from the RTO, who decides to pass or fail the applicant on how good or bad he is. The candidate is required to take along his or her own vehicle of the same type for which he or she has applied for a DL. However, if one doesn’t have the required vehicle, he can take a vehicle from the motor driving school.
Test for Two-Wheeler & Three-Wheeler
In case of a driving licence test of a 2 and a 3-wheeler, the candidate needs to ride his vehicle inside a boundary and ride in a way to make a pattern of ‘8’ without having his feet touch the ground even once. If satisfied, the candidate is asked to ride on a public road. As per the performance, the candidate is passed or failed. The applicant is failed or passed as per how well he performs in the test.
Test for Four Wheeler
The practical test for the driving licence for a 4-wheeler in Arunachal Pradesh is exactly the same as how it is in other parts of the country. Even here, the invigilator asks the candidate to drive on an H pattern marked on the testing ground without coming in contact with the columns fixed on the perimeter. After this, the candidate has to drive on the public roads. He is passed and given a DL in case the examiner is satisfied. On failing, a candidate can apply for a re-test after 7 days. A small fee has to be paid for the re-test.
Tips for Clearing Your Driving Test
- Make sure you have practised well before you go to give the driving test
- Also, during the test, stay confident in front of the invigilator
- Reach the testing ground a bit early to avoid last-minute delays
- You need to be smooth hen shifting gears, braking and turning
- Turn the ignition off after the vehicle has stopped completely.
- Use indicators when making a turn
Q: How can I check my driving license status in Arunachal Pradesh?
A: You can check the status of your driving licence application in Arunachal Pradesh by visiting the RTO office where you have applied for the DL
Q: Can I apply for a DL online in Arunachal Pradesh?
A: No, in Arunachal Pradesh, one can’t apply for a DL online
Q: I lost my DL 6 months ago, can I apply for a duplicate DL now in Arunachal Pradesh?
A: Yes, you can apply for a duplicate DL in Arunachal Pradesh within 5 years of the loss or damage of the original driving licence.
Q: Do we need to submit medical certificate while applying for a duplicate DL in Arunachal Pradesh?
A: There is no requirement of a medical certificate when applying for a duplicate driving licence (DL) in Arunachal Pradesh.
Q: How many RTOs does Arunachal Pradesh have?
A: In Arunachal Pradesh, there are more than 22 RTOs