Securing a Driving Licence (DL) for yourself in the state of Telangana is quite an easy task if you know exactly how to go about the application process. It must be noted here that getting a valid driving licence is mandatory in case you wish to use a motor vehicle on the public roads of the Telangana state. In this post, we tell you how to obtain a driving licence in Telangana and also give you the process of getting an international driving permit and the procedure to renew the driving license in Telangana (TS).
Table of Contents
Types of Driving Licence (DL) in Telangana (TS)
You need to apply for a driving licence from any one of the three categories based on the class of vehicle you plan to use. Below are the 3 types of driving licences-
- Driving license for 2-wheeler without gear: This is for using a scooter or a moped that doesn’t have the requirement for manual gear shifting.
- Driving license for Light Motor Vehicle (LMV): This type of driving licence is for those who need to drive a two-wheeler with manual gears or a Light Motor Vehicle (LMV) such as cars, SUVs and MPVs.
- Driving license issued for transport vehicles: This is the driving licence you should apply for if you plan to use commercial vehicles to transport goods or passengers.
Telangana (TS) Driving Licence (DL) – Eligibility Criteria
As is the case in every other state in India, even in Telangana, you need to satisfy the following conditions while applying for a driving licence.
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Must have a learner’s license before applying for a permanent licence
- Must hold a learner’s driving license for at least 30 days and not more than 180 days before applying for a permanent DL.
- Must be aware of all the traffic rules
- Should be a minimum of 20 years of age if applying for a commercial driving license.
Documents Required for Driving Licence in Telangana
In order to apply for a DL in the state of Telangana, you need to provide the following documents to the RTO-
One of the below age proofs-
- Birth Certificate
- Educational certificate
- Certificate issued from the employer if you are working for state/ central government or a local body.
One of the below address proofs
- Ration card
- Voter’s ID
- LIC policy bond
- Employers certificate issued by local/central or state government
- Application form 4
- Application form 5 in case of applying for a commercial driving license
- Original learner’s license
- Three passport size photographs
How to Apply for Driving Licence Offline in Telangana (TS)?
In the state of Telangana, in order to apply for a permanent driving license offline, one needs to follow the below-mentioned steps-
- Step 1: Get an application form from the RTO closest to you
- Step 2: You can also download the same form from the official website and take a print out and then submit the physical copy to the RTO
- Step 3: Enter the below information –
- Full Name
- Father’s Name
- Residential Address
- Educational Qualification
- Date of Birth
- Place of Birth
- Blood Group
- Identification Mark
- Step 4: Submit the address and age proofs and passport-size photos to the RTO
- Step 5: Obtain an appointment for the first round of the test in which your knowledge of traffic rules will be analyzed.
- Step 6: On passing this test, you will get a learner’s driving licence. You will need to apply for a permanent DL after a minimum of 30 days and a maximum of 180 days of getting a permanent licence.
How to Apply for Driving Licence Online in Telangana?
In case you want to obtain a permanent driving licence online in the state of Telangana, you need to follow the below procedure-
- Step 1: Visit www.transport.telangana.gov.in and download the application form and print it
- Step 2: Submit the completed form at the RTO
- Step 3: Submit all the aforementioned documents to the RTO
- Step 4: Obtain a slot for the driving test
- Step 5: On passing the test, you will get your DL in 2 to 3 weeks
Steps to Check Driving Licence Application Status Online:
Steps to check driving licence status online through State Transport Department website:
You can find out the status of your DL application through any of the two methods we have given here. One of these is to find out the status on the State Transport’s official website. The other method is to check the status on the website of the Ministry of Road Transport and Highway. For the first method, here’s the procedure-
- Step 1: Visit the website of the Transport Department of Telangana
- Step 2: Click on ‘DL and LL registration’ option.
- Step 3: Click on ‘Know your application status’.
- Step 4: Enter the application number and submit button
- Step 5: Check the status shown on your screen
Steps to check driving licence status online through the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways official website:
- Step 1: Visit parivahan.gov.in.
- Step 2: Click on ‘Driving license-related services’.
- Step 3: Select the state you reside in.
- Step 4: On the new page that loads, click on ‘Verify status’ option
- Step 5: Enter your application number and date of birth.
- Step 6: Fill in the correct captcha code.
- Step 7: You will be shown the status of your driving license.
How to Apply for a Duplicate Driving Licence in Telangana?
Documents required while applying for a duplicate driving license in Telangana:
If you need to apply for a duplicate driving licence in Telangana, the below given documents should be submitted to the RTO-
- Application form LLD
- FIR copy if the DL is stolen
- Challan clearance report issued by traffic police in case of commercial driving license
- Form 1
- Copy of Age Proof and Address Proof
- Copy of Original licence
- License number if the license is stolen
You will be required to get the photocopies of the documents attested by a gazetted officer or notary
Steps to apply for a Duplicate Driving Licence in Telangana:
After submission of the required documents, you can file an application for a duplicate driving licence in Telangana through below steps.
- Step 1: Submit the completed form LLD at the RTO.
- Step 2: Submit a fee of Rs. 200
- Step 3: On successful verification, a duplicate driving license will be given
In case you do not remember your DL’s number, you will have to obtain a new licence altogether. Also, you should apply for a duplicate DL within 30 days of loss of the document.
How to Renew Driving Licence in Telangana?
The DL for a Non-Transport Vehicle is valid for 20 years or till the time the holder of the DL gets 50 years old (whichever of these is earlier). After that, the License is required to be renewed every 5 years. On the other hand, the driving licence for a transport vehicle is valid for just 3 years from the date of issue or renewal.
Documents required for renewal of driving license in TS:
- Filled application form 9
- A copy of the expired driver’s licence.
- Medical certificate and Form 1 A if the driver’s age is more than 40 years
- 2 passport size photographs.
- Self-attested copies of age proof and address proof.
- Application fee of Rs.200/- and receipt.
Steps to apply for a Duplicate Licence in Telangana:
- Step 1: Visit the RTO website and select the tab for renewal.
- Step 2: Apply for the renewal and pay the fees of Rs.200/- for the smart card driving licence issued in Telangana
- Step 3: Submit the necessary documents to expedite the request quicker. As soon as the documents will be verified, you will be issued the new driving licence.
- Step 1: Collect the form from the RTO
- Step 2: Fill and submit the form along with the relevant documents at the RTO
- Step 3: On verification of the documents, the applicant will be issued the renewed license on the same day.
- Step 1: Visit the official transport website of Telangana government
- Step 2: Download the form and print it
- Step 3: Submit the filled form along with the required documents at the RTO office.
- On successful verification of the documents, a driving license will be issued.
How to apply for an International Driving Licence in Telangana?
You can get an international driving licence from any of the RTOs in the state. The international driving licence has a validity of just 1 year and while there is no test to obtain it, one must hold a permanent driving licence to be eligible for applying for the international permit.
Documents required for getting an International Driving License in Telangana:
Following documents are required to be submitted to the RTO for getting an international driving licence in Telangana
- Valid proof of nationality
- Attested copy of the valid driving license, passport and visa
- Attested copy of a valid residence proof
- Five passport-sized photos
- Medical Form 1-A
Steps to apply for a Duplicate Licence in Telangana:
- Step 1: Visit the RTO website and select the tab for renewal.
- Step 2: Apply for the renewal and pay the fees of Rs.200/- for the smart card driving licence that is issued in Telangana
- Step 3: Submit the necessary documents. You will be issued the new driving licence as soon as your documents are verified
Driving Test Procedure in Telangana:
As is the case across the country, even in Telangana, a Motor Vehicle Inspector overlooks all the driving tests that are conducted by the RTO for giving a permanent driving licence. The applicant should have his own vehicle to appear in the test. In case an applicant doesn’t have a vehicle, he can use the vehicle of the driving school.
Test for Two-Wheeler & Three-Wheeler:
Those who have applied for a licence for a two-wheeler have to ride the vehicle within a boundary and make ‘8’ figure without hitting the poles embedded at the corners. The inspector will also test how smoothly you can change the gears and control the vehicle in the corners. In case the applicant is successful in satisfying the inspector, he is given an approval for a road test where he or she should ride properly for some distance on a public road.
Test for Four Wheeler:
Driving test for four-wheeler is mostly similar in nature to that of two or three-wheeler. However, in this case, the applicant is required to drive along the marked ‘H’ without touching the columns. Once the applicant has satisfied the inspected with his driving skills, he or she is required to drive properly for some distance on a public road. In case a candidate fails in either of the tests, a re-test is conducted within 7 days and a nominal fee is charged.
Tips for Clearing Your Driving Test:
- Practice in advance so that you are confident of your driving skills.
- Arrive a little early for the test
- Don’t turn off the bike or car till it has come to a total halt.
- Shift gears smoothly.
- Use both side and rear mirrors while riding.
- While turning, show an indicator and hand signal.
- The Driving test should not last more than 15 mins.
- An RTO officer will be present to see how well you drive. While driving the car, he will sit beside you to check the movement of the clutch and gear.
Q: What is the validity of commercial driving license issued in Telangana?
A: The validity of commercial driving licence in Telangana is 3 years.
Q: How can I check my driving license status in Telangana?
A: You can find out the status of your DL application through the State Transport’s official website or through the website of the Ministry of Road Transport and Highway.
Q: Is it necessary to appear for the driving test for obtaining Telangana driving license?
A: Yes, it is mandatory to appear for the driving test for getting a driving licence in Telangana
Q: Can I get driving license form online in Telangana?
A: Yes, even if you decide to download the application form from the official website, you’ll have to be physically present at the RTO to give the driving test
Q: Can I get a driving license for more than one class of vehicle in Telangana?
A: Yes, you can get driving license for more than one class of vehicle in Telangana.