Getting yourself a driving license (DL) in Haryana is easy as long as you know how to go about the application process. Having a valid driving license is compulsory to use a motor vehicle on the roads of Haryana. Here is a guide on how to obtain a driving licence in Haryana and also the procedure to get an international driving permit and the process of renewing the driving license in Haryana.
Table of Contents
Types of Driving Licence (DL) in Haryana (HR)
Like in other states of India, even in Haryana, you have to apply for a category of driving licence as per the type of vehicle you wish to use. Below are the 3 types of DLs –
- Driving license for 2-wheeler without gear: In case you have to ride a scooter that doesn’t come with manual gearbox, you should apply for this kind of DL.
- Driving license for Light Motor Vehicle (LMV): You should apply for this DL if you plan to use a two-wheeler with gears or drive a light motor vehicle (cars, SUVs or MPVs).
- Driving license issued for transport vehicles: If you intend to drive heavy motor vehicles that transport passengers or goods commercially, you need to get yourself this type of licence
Haryana (HR) Driving Licence (DL) – Eligibility Criteria
Like everywhere else in the country, even in Haryana, to apply for a driving licence, one needs to meet the following conditions-
- Should be a minimum of 18 years old
- Should have a learner’s license
- Should give an application for obtaining a permanent driving license only after 30 days or within 180 days of obtaining a learner’s license.
- Should know all the traffic rules and regulations
- Must be at least 20 years old for a commercial driving license.
Documents Required for Driving Licence in Haryana
For getting a DL in Haryana, one should give a self-attested copy of the below documents to the RTO
Any one of the following age proofs-
- Birth Certificate
- Educational certificate
- Certificate issued from the employer if you are working for state/ central government or a local body.
Any one of the following address proofs
- Ration card
- Voter’s ID
- LIC policy bond
- Employers certificate issued by local/central or state government
- Application form 4
- Application form 5 in case of applying for a commercial driving license
- Original learner’s license
- Three passport size photographs
How to Apply for Driving Licence Offline in Haryana (HR)?
In Haryana, to apply for a permanent driving license offline, you should follow the below procedure-
- Step 1: Obtain an application form from the nearest RTO
- Step 2: The same form can be even downloaded from the official website and the printed copy needs to be submitted to the RTO.
- Step 3: Fill the following details:
- Full Name
- Father’s Name
- Residential Address
- Educational Qualification
- Date of Birth
- Place of Birth
- Blood Group
- Identification Mark
- Step 4: Submit the address and age proofs and passport-size photos.
- Step 5: Secure an appointment for the first round of the test where your know-how of traffic rules will be analyzed.
- Step 6: Once you have passed the test, you’ll be given a learner’s licence. You need to apply for a permanent one after a minimum of 30 days and a maximum of 180 days of getting a permanent licence.
How to Apply for Driving Licence Online in Haryana?
If you want to get a permanent driving licence online in Haryana, you should go through the following procedure-
- Step 1: Visit www.haryanatransport.gov.in and download the application form and print it
- Step 2: The filled form needs to be submitted at the RTO
- Step 3: Submit all the documents that are mentioned above
- Step 4: Secure a slot for the driving test
- Step 5: Once you have passed the test, you will obtain your license in 2 to 3 weeks
Steps to Check Driving Licence Application Status Online:
Steps to check driving licence status online through State Transport Department website:
You can check the status of your application for obtaining a driving licence through one of the two methods mentioned here. First is to find out the status on the State Transport’s official website. Else, one can check the status on the official website of the Ministry of Road Transport and Highway. For the first method, here’s the procedure-
- Step 1: Visit the website of the Transport Department of Haryana
- Step 2: Click on ‘DL and LL registration’ option.
- Step 3: A new page will load, in which, click on ‘Know your application status’.
- Step 4: Enter your application number
- Step 5: Click on the ‘Submit’ button and you will be shown the status of your application.
Steps to check driving licence status online through the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways official website:
- Step 1: Visit parivahan.gov.in.
- Step 2: Click on ‘Driving license-related services’.
- Step 3: Select the state you reside in.
- Step 4: On the new page that loads, click on ‘Verify status’ option
- Step 5: Enter your application number and date of birth.
- Step 6: Fill in the correct captcha code.
- Step 7: You will be shown the status of your driving license.
How to Apply for a Duplicate Driving Licence in Haryana?
Documents required while applying for a duplicate driving license in Haryana:
In case you need to apply for a duplicate driving licence in Haryana, following documents will be required to be given to the RTO-
- Application form LLD
- FIR copy if the DL is stolen
- Challan clearance report issued by traffic police in case of commercial driving license
- Form 1
- Copy of Age Proof and Address Proof
- Copy of Original licence
- License number if the license is stolen
Please note – Photocopied documents will be required to be attested by a gazetted officer or notary public.
Steps to apply for a Duplicate Driving Licence in Haryana:
After submitting the above documents, you can apply for a duplicate driving licence in Haryana through below steps.
- Step 1: Submit the completed form LLD at the RTO.
- Step 2: Submit a fee of Rs. 200
- Step 3: On successful verification, a duplicate driving license will be given
If you don’t remember your licence number, you will have to obtain a new DL. Also, one should apply for a duplicate DL within 30 days of loss.
How to Renew Driving Licence in Haryana?
Driving licence for a Non-Transport Vehicle is valid for 20 years or till the time the holder of the DL gets 50 years old ( whichever is earlier). After that, the License needs to be renewed every 5 years. Transport Vehicle License is valid for a period of 3 years from the date of issue or renewal.
Documents required for renewal of driving license in HR:
- Filled application form 9
- A copy of the expired driver’s licence.
- Medical certificate and Form 1 A if the driver’s age is more than 40 years
- 2 passport size photographs.
- Self-attested copies of age proof and address proof.
- Application fee of Rs.200/- and receipt.
Steps to apply for a Duplicate Licence in Haryana:
- Step 1: Visit the RTO website and select the tab for renewal.
- Step 2: Apply for the renewal and pay the fees of Rs.200/- for the smart card driving licence issued in Haryana
- Step 3: Submit the necessary documents to expedite the request quicker. As soon as the documents will be verified, you will be issued the new driving licence.
- Step 1: Collect the form from the RTO
- Step 2: Fill and submit the form along with the relevant documents at the RTO
- Step 3: On verification of the documents, the applicant will be issued the renewed license on the same day.
- Step 1: Visit the official transport website of Haryana government
- Step 2: Download the form and print it
- Step 3: Submit the filled form along with the required documents at the RTO office.
- On successful verification of the documents, a driving license will be issued.
How to apply for an International Driving Licence in Haryana?
One can get an International DL from any of the RTOs in the entire state of Haryana. This licence is valid for 12 months. There is no test to get an international driving permit but it is compulsory to have a permanent driving licence before applying for an international one.
Documents required for getting an International Driving License in Haryana:
Below mentioned documents are required to be given to the RTO when applying for an international driving licence in Haryana
- Valid proof of nationality
- Attested copy of the valid driving license, passport and visa
- Attested copy of a valid residence proof
- Five passport-sized photos
- Medical Form 1-A
Steps to apply for a Duplicate Licence in Haryana:
- Step 1: In order to get the driving licence renewed, you need to visit the RTO website and select the tab for renewal.
- Step 2: Apply for the renewal and pay the fees of Rs.200/- for the smart card driving licence that is issued in Haryana
- Step 3: Submit the necessary documents. You will be issued the new driving licence as soon as your documents are verified
Driving Test Procedure in Haryana:
Like everywhere else, even in Haryana, a Motor Vehicle Inspector supervises the driving tests conducted for giving a permanent driving licence. One needs to visit the RTO to give a test. The applicant should have his own vehicle of the same class for which he has applied for a DL. Else, he can also use the vehicle of the driving school.
Test for Two-Wheeler & Three-Wheeler
The applicant for a DL for two-wheeler or three-wheeler has to ride his or her vehicle within a given border and make ‘Eight’ figure without touching the poles embedded at the corners. The inspector will even analyse how comfortably the applicant can change gears, control vehicle in corners or reversing, and during the making of ‘figure of eight’ without the feet touching the ground. In case the applicant is successful in satisfying the inspector, he is given an approval for a road test where he or she should ride properly for some distance on a public road.
Test for Four Wheeler:
Driving test for four-wheeler is mostly similar in nature to that of two or three-wheeler. However, in this case, the applicant is required to drive along the marked ‘H’ without touching the columns. Once the applicant has satisfied the inspected with his driving skills, he or she is required to drive properly for some distance on a public road. In case a candidate fails in either of the tests, a re-test is conducted within 7 days and a nominal fee is charged.
Tips for Clearing Your Driving Test:
- Practice in advance so that you are confident of your driving skills.
- Arrive a little early for the test
- Don’t turn off the bike or car till it has come to a total halt.
- Shift gears smoothly.
- Use both side and rear mirrors while riding.
- While turning, show an indicator and hand signal.
- The Driving test should not last more than 15 mins.
- An RTO officer will be present to see how well you drive. While driving the car, he will sit beside you to check the movement of the clutch and gear.
Q: What is the validity of smart card DL issued in Haryana?
A: A smart card DL issued in Haryana is valid for a period of 20 years or until the age of 50, whichever is earlier.
Q: What happens if I fail the DL test in Haryana?
A: In case you fail in the driving test, you can re-apply after a week.
Q: Can I give my driving license to my friend to drive his vehicle?
A: No, you cannot give your licence to a friend who is a non-holder of a valid driving licence. Also, if you do so and get caught, you may have to pay a hefty fine or even face imprisonment.
Q: How can I check my driving license status in Haryana?
A: You can check the DL status in Haryana through sarathi.nic.in or at the RTO.
Q: What is the validity of a renewed commercial DL issued in Haryana?
A: A renewed commercial driving licence in Haryana is valid for 1 year.