It is not too difficult obtaining a driving licence (DL) in Goa as long as you are aware of the process you need to go through. The driving licence, aka DL, as it’s popularly called, is a mandatory piece of document for driving or riding on the public roads. Here, we have compiled all the details on how to get a driving licence in Goa (GA), and even put together the information on how to obtain an international driving permit and how to renew the driving license in Goa.
Table of Contents
Types of Driving Licence (DL) in Goa (GA)
There are 3 types of driving licences in Goa. You are required to apply for the type of DL based on the class of vehicle you wish to use
- Driving license for motorcycles without gear: This is the type of DL you should apply for if you have to use a two-wheeler without gears.
- Driving license issued for light motor vehicles: This is the kind of DL you need to apply for if you plan to use a two-wheeler with gears or a private motor vehicle (cars, SUVs, MPVs).
- Driving license issued for transport vehicles: In case you plan to drive heavy motor vehicles for transportation of goods or passengers, this is the type of DL you need to apply for.
Goa (GA) Driving Licence (DL) – Eligibility Criteria
In case you wish to apply for a driving licence (DL) in Goa, you should meet all of the following conditions for eligibility-
- Must be 18 years old or above
- Must have held a learner’s license for a minimum of 30 days but not more than 180 days.
- Must know all the traffic rules and regulations.
- Must be 20 years old or more if you need a commercial driving licence
Documents Required for Driving Licence in Goa
In order to apply for a driving licence, the applicant needs to provide the RTO with the following documents-
One of the below-listed documents for the age proof-
- High school passing certificate
- Birth certificate
- Attested copy of the passport
- Certificate issued from the employer if you are working for state/ central government or a local body.
One of the below-listed documents for the address proof-
- Voter’s ID
- Ration card
- LIC policy bond
- Valid passport
- Employers certificate issued by local/central or state government
- Application form 4
- Application form 5 in case of applying for a commercial driving license
- Original learner’s license
- Three passport size photographs
How to Apply for Driving Licence Offline in Goa (GA)?
In order to apply for a DL offline in Goa, you need to go through the steps given below
- Step 1: Visit the Goa RTO and obtain an application form. You can also download the application form from the official website of the RTO
- Step 2: Fill the form with the following details-
- Full Name
- Father’s Name
- Residential Address
- Educational Qualification
- Date of Birth
- Place of Birth
- Blood Group
- Identification Mark
- Step 3: Submit the address proof, passport-size photos, etc.
- Step 4: You’ll be given a time slot for the first round of the test, in which the RTO officers will test your knowledge of traffic rules and regulations through an online test.
- Step 5: On passing the test, you’ll be given a learner’s license. For a permanent DL, one needs to apply after at least 30 days but before 180 days of obtaining the learner’s licence.
How to Apply for Driving Licence Online in Goa?
For online application of a driving licence in Goa, one needs to go through the following steps-
- Step1 : Visit www.goatransport.gov.in/ and go to “Form” section to download the form
- Step 2: Fill all the details in the printed copy of the form and submit it at the local RTO
- Step 3: Provide all the necessary documents
- Step 4: Get a slot for the driving test
- Step 5: Once you have passed the test, you will get your license in 2 to 3 weeks
- Step 6: The form can be also submitted and uploaded online by following the below steps-
- Step 1: Visit sarathi.nic.in
- Step 2: Click on ‘Application for new DL’.
- Step 3: Click on ‘New driving license’
- Step 4: Enter all the required details and submit all the documents
- Step 5: You will be given an application number
- Step 6: You can also schedule your driving license test
- Step 7: Appear for the test on the given day
- Step 8: If you pass the test, you will receive your driving license in a few days
Steps to Check Driving Licence Application Status Online:
Steps to check driving licence status online through State Transport Department website:
There are two ways to check the status of your driving licence online. You can use any of the two methods. One is to check the status on the State Transport’s official website, while the other is to check the status on the Ministry of Road Transport and Highway’s official website.
- Step 1: Visit the official website of the State Transport Department of Goa
- Step 2: Select ‘DL and LL registration’ option.
- Step 3: In the new page that loads, click on ‘Know your application status’.
- Step 4: Enter the application number
- Step 5: Click on ‘Submit’ and the page will then display the status of your driving license.
Steps to check driving licence status online through Ministry of Road Transport and Highways official website:
- Step 1: Visit parivahan.gov.in.
- Step 2: Click on ‘Driving license-related services’.
- Step 3: Select the state you reside in.
- Step 4: On the new page that loads, click on ‘Verify status’ option
- Step 5: Enter your application number and date of birth.
- Step 6: Fill in the correct captcha code.
- Step 7: You will be shown the status of your driving license.
How to Apply for a Duplicate Driving Licence in Goa?
Documents required while applying for a duplicate driving license in Goa
If you want a duplicate copy of DL in case you lose the original copy, you need to submit the following documents to the Goa RTO-
- Application form LLD
- FIR copy if the license is stolen
- Challan clearance report given by the traffic police. This is required only in case of commercial driving license.
- Form 1
- Address and age proof documents.
- Original license copy
- License number if the license is stolen
- The applicant will have to get the documents photocopied and attested by a gazetted officer or notary public.
Steps to apply for a Duplicate Driving Licence in Goa
Once you have submitted the aforementioned documents, the applicant can apply for a duplicate DL in Goa by following the below steps.
- Step 1: Collect the form LLD, fill it and submit it at the RTO along with the above-mentioned documents.
- Step 2: Submit a fee of Rs. 200 for smart card and Rs 30 in case it’s in book form
- Step 3: After successful verification of the documents, a duplicate driving license will be provided
It should be noted that if you don’t remember your licence number, you are requested to apply for a new DL. The request for a duplicate driving licence needs to be made within 30 days of loss.
How to Renew Driving Licence in Goa?
Like in rest of the country, a DL issued in Goa has a validity of 20 years. However, if your age is 50 years or above or you attain the age of 50 years before the completion of 20 years of age, the renewal of the DL should be processed immediately.
Documents required for renewal of driving license in GA:
- Application form no. 9
- A copy of the expired original DL
- Medical certificate and Form 1 A if the driver is aged above 40 years
- 2 passport size photos
- Self-attested copies of address proof and age proof.
- Application fee of Rs.200 and receipt.
Steps to apply for a Duplicate Licence in Goa:
- Step 1: Go to the official website of the RTO and select the tab for renewal.
- Step 2: Apply for the renewal and pay the fees of Rs.200 for smart card driving licence issued in Goa
- Step 3: Submit the necessary documents to expedite the request quicker. As soon as the documents will be verified, you will be issued the new driving licence.
- Step 1: Collect the form from the RTO
- Step 2: Fill and submit the form along with the relevant documents at the RTO
- Step 3: On verification of the documents, the applicant will be issued the renewed license on the same day.
- Step 1: Visit Goa Government’s transport website
- Step 2: Download the form online
- Step 3: Print it, fill it and submit it with required documents
Once the above documents are verified, a driving license is issued to the applicant on the same day.
How to apply for an International Driving Licence in Goa?
You can apply for an international driving licence at the Goa RTO. The validity of an International driving licence is 1 year. One doesn’t need to give any test for obtaining an international licence but you must hold a permanent driving licence.
Documents required for getting an International Driving License in Goa:
Listed below are the documents which are to be given to the RTO when applying for an international driving licence-
- Attested copy of the permanent driving license, passport and visa
- Proof of nationality
- Attested copy of a valid residence proof
- Medical Form 1-A
- Five passport-sized photos
Steps to apply for a Duplicate Licence in Goa:
- Step 1: Visit the RTO website and select the tab to renewal request tab
- Step 2: Apply for renewal and pay the fees of Rs.250 for the smart card
- Step 3: Submit the required documents to expedite the request quicker. As soon as the documents will be verified, you will be issued the new driving licence.
Driving Test Procedure in Goa:
In Goa, the driving test is the same as how it is in all other states of the country. A Motor Vehicle Inspector overlooks the entire test. The applicant needs to have his own vehicle for the test, which should be of the same class as for which he has applied for a DL. If the applicant doesn’t own the required vehicle, he can use the vehicle of the motor driving school.
Test for Two-Wheeler & Three-Wheeler:
The applicant needs to ride the vehicle in a given boundary and make a pattern of ‘8’ without coming in contact with the poles set at the corners. The applicant even needs to show proper gear change, correct cornering or reversing, and making ‘figure of eight’ without the feet touching the ground. If the inspector is satisfied with the way the candidate performs, a road test is conducted where one needs to show correct riding skills on public road for a certain distance.
Test for Four Wheeler:
Fundamentally, the driving test for a four-wheeler is more or less the same as that for a two or three-wheeler. The applicant needs to drive along the marked ‘H’ without touching the columns. After clearing the test, the driver is required to drive correctly on the road. The tests for two-, three-, and four-wheelers are conducted in accordance with the guidelines under Rule 15 of the Central Vehicle Motor Act (1989). In case the candidate fails in either of the tests, a re-test is conducted within 7 days, for which a nominal fee is charged.
Tips for Clearing Your Driving Test:
- Practice well in advance before the day of the test
- Remain confident during the test
- Reach the RTO a bit early to avoid any last-minute hiccups
- Make sure to turn off the ignition once the vehicle has come to a complete halt
- Shift gears smoothly.
- Use the outside rearview mirrors
- While turning, show an indicator
Q: How can I check my driving license status in Goa?
A: Go to sarathi.nic.in, click on ‘status of license’ option and then provide your application number and date of birth. The DL status will be displayed on the screen. You can also visit the RTO to check the status.
Q: Can I book my driving license test slot online in Goa?
A: Yes, you can book your driving license test slot online by going to www.goatransport.gov.in/Sarthi4Services. Click on ‘enquiry on slot availability for DL transaction’.
Q: Do I have to pay any fees for driving license test?
A: Yes, a fee of Rs. 300 needs to be submitted for a DL test in Goa.
Q: Can I download the medial certificate 1A online in Goa?
A: Yes, you can download the medical certificate form 1A from www.goatransport.gov.in/FormsDownload
Q: Can I get few tips for passing the driving test in Goa?
A: Shift gears smoothly, don’t brake abruptly or accelerate too hard, use hand signals, indicators and also follow all the traffic rules.
1 thought on “Driving Licence Goa – Driving Licence Online & Offline Apply in Goa”
COULD YOU PROVIDE MORE DETAILS REGARDING THE DONOR SYMBOL IN THE LICENCE