Getting a driving license (DL) in Uttarakhand (UK) is quite easy if you know the correct application process. Getting a driving license is compulsory by law if you want to use a motor vehicle on the public roads of UK. Here, we have given you a guide on how to get a driving licence in Uttarakhand. We have also listed out the procedure to get an international driving permit and the process of renewing the driving license in Uttarakhand.
Table of Contents
Types of Driving Licence (DL) in Uttarakhand (UK)
As is the case across the country, in Uttarakhand, you need to apply for DL based on the category of vehicle you plan to use. Below are the 3 types of DLs –
- Driving license for 2-wheeler without gear: You need to apply for this kind of DL is you plan to use a moped or scooter with an automatic gearbox
- Driving license for Light Motor Vehicle (LMV): You need to apply for this kind of DL if you have to ride a two-wheeler with gears or drive a light motor vehicle (cars, SUVs or MPVs) on the public roads.
- Driving license issued for transport vehicles: Apply for this If you intend to drive heavy motor vehicles that transport passengers or goods commercially, you need to get yourself this type of licence
Uttarakhand (UK) Driving Licence (DL) – Eligibility Criteria
As is the case across the country, even in Uttarakhand, to apply for a driving licence, one needs to meet the following conditions-
- Must be minimum of 18 years old
- Must be a learner’s license
- Must apply for a permanent DL after 30 days or within 180 days of obtaining a learner’s license.
- Must be aware of all traffic rules and regulations
- Must be 20 years old or above for a commercial driving license.
Documents Required for Driving Licence in Uttarakhand
One should give a self-attested copy of the below documents to the RTO for getting a DL in Uttarakhand
Just one of the following age proofs-
- Birth Certificate
- Educational certificate
- Certificate issued from the employer if you are working for state/ central government or a local body.
Just one of the following address proofs
- Ration card
- Voter’s ID
- LIC policy bond
- Employers certificate issued by local/central or state government
- Application form 4
- Application form 5 in case of applying for a commercial driving license
- Original learner’s license
- Three passport size photographs
How to Apply for Driving Licence Offline in Uttarakhand (UK)?
To apply for a permanent DL In Uttarakhand, kindly follow the below procedure-
- Step 1: Obtain an application form from the nearest RTO
- Step 2: The same form can be even downloaded from the official website and the printed copy needs to be submitted to the RTO.
- Step 3: Fill the following details:
- Full Name
- Father’s Name
- Residential Address
- Educational Qualification
- Date of Birth
- Place of Birth
- Blood Group
- Identification Mark
- Step 4: Submit the address and age proofs and passport-size photos.
- Step 5: Secure an appointment for the first round of the test where your know-how of traffic rules will be analyzed.
- Step 6: Once you have passed the test, you’ll be given a learner’s licence. You need to apply for a permanent one after a minimum of 30 days and a maximum of 180 days of getting a permanent licence.
How to Apply for Driving Licence Online in Uttarakhand?
If you wish to get a permanent driving licence online in Uttarakhand, you need to follow the below procedure –
- Step 1: Visit www.utc.uk.gov.in and download the application form and print it
- Step 2: The filled form should be provided to the RTO
- Step 3: Submit all the aforementioned documents
- Step 4: Secure a slot for the driving test
- Step 5: Once you have passed the test, you need your license in 2 to 3 weeks
Steps to Check Driving Licence Application Status Online:
Steps to check driving licence status online through State Transport Department website:
You can either check the status of your DL application on the State Transport’s official website or check it on the official website of the Ministry of Road Transport and Highway. Here is the procedure for the first method-
- Step 1: Visit the website of the Transport Department of Uttarakhand
- Step 2: Click on ‘DL and LL registration’ option.
- Step 3: A new page will load, in which, click on ‘Know your application status’.
- Step 4: Enter your application number
- Step 5: Click on the ‘Submit’ button and you will be shown the status of your application.
Steps to check driving licence status online through the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways official website:
- Step 1: Visit parivahan.gov.in.
- Step 2: Click on ‘Driving license-related services’.
- Step 3: Select the state you reside in.
- Step 4: On the new page that loads, click on ‘Verify status’ option
- Step 5: Enter your application number and date of birth.
- Step 6: Fill in the correct captcha code.
- Step 7: You will be shown the status of your driving license.
How to Apply for a Duplicate Driving Licence in Uttarakhand?
Documents required while applying for a duplicate driving license in Uttarakhand
If you plan to obtain a duplicate driving licence in Uttarakhand, below is a list of documents that will be needed to be submitted to the RTO
- Application form LLD
- FIR copy if the DL is stolen
- Challan clearance report issued by traffic police in case of commercial driving license
- Form 1
- Copy of Age Proof and Address Proof
- Copy of Original licence
- License number if the license is stolen
All the photocopied documents should be attested by a gazetted officer or notary public.
Steps to apply for a Duplicate Driving Licence in Uttarakhand
After providing the RTO with the required documents, one can file an application for a duplicate DL in Uttarakhand by following the below procedure
- Step 1: Submit the completed form LLD at the RTO.
- Step 2: Submit a fee of Rs. 200
- Step 3: On successful verification, a duplicate driving license will be given
In case you don’t remember your driving licence number, you will need to get a new DL. One needs to apply for a duplicate DL within 30 days of loss.
How to Renew Driving Licence in Uttarakhand?
For a non-transport vehicle, the validity of the DLis 20 years or until the holder of the DL becomes 50 years old (whatever is earlier). Once expired, a Driving License should be renewed every 5 years. A Commercial Vehicle License, on the other hand, is valid for 3 years from the date of issue or renewal.
Documents required for renewal of driving license in Uttarakhand
- Form 9
- Copy of Expired driver’s licence.
- Form 1A if the driver’s age is more than 40 years
- 2 passport size photographs.
- Self-attested copies of age proof and address proof.
- Receipt of payment of application fee of Rs.200/-
Steps to apply for a Duplicate Licence in Uttarakhand
In Uttarakhand, you can either obtain a duplicate licence online or offline, depending on your convenience.
- Step 1: Collect the form from the RTO
- Step 2: Fill and submit the form along with the relevant documents at the RTO
- Step 3: On verification of the documents, the applicant will be issued the renewed license on the same day.
- Step 1: Visit the official transport website of Uttarakhand government
- Step 2: Download the form and print it
- Step 3: Submit the filled form along with the required documents at the RTO office.
- On successful verification of the documents, a driving license will be issued.
How to apply for an International Driving Licence in Uttarakhand?
One can obtain an International driving licence from any RTO in Uttarakhand. The international driving licence is valid for 12 months. There is no requirement of a test to get an international driving permit but it is compulsory to hold a permanent driving licence to apply for an international permit.
Documents required for getting an International Driving License in Uttarakhand
Following are the documents required to be provided to the RTO if applying for an international driving licence in Uttarakhand
- Nationality proof
- Attested copy of permanent driving license
- Attested copy of passport
- Attested copy of visa
- Attested copy of a residence proof
- Five passport-sized photos
- Medical Form 1-A
Steps to apply for a Duplicate Licence in Uttarakhand
- Step 1: To get the DL renewed, you should visit the RTO website and select the tab for renewal.
- Step 2: Apply for the renewal and pay the fees of Rs.200/- for the smart card driving licence that is issued in Uttarakhand
- Step 3: Submit the necessary documents. You will be issued the new driving licence as soon as your documents are verified
Driving Test Procedure in Uttarakhand:
The driving test procedure in Uttarakhand is the same as every other state in the country. The exam is supervised by a Motor Vehicle Inspector . One needs to visit the RTO to give a test. The applicant should have his own vehicle of the same class for which he has applied for a DL. Else, he can also use the vehicle of the driving school.
Test for Two-Wheeler & Three-Wheeler:
For the driving licence test for a two or three-wheeler, an applicant has to ride his or her vehicle within a given border and make ‘Eight’ figure without touching the poles embedded at the corners. One is also judged on the basis of how comfortable he or she is when changing gears, controlling vehicles in corners, reversing, and during the making of ‘figure of eight’ without the feet touching the ground. In case the applicant is successful in satisfying the inspector, he is given an approval for a road test where he or she should ride properly for some distance on a public road.
Test for Four Wheeler:
For four-wheelers, the driving test stays fundamentally the same as that for two or three-wheelers. The applicant has to drive along an ‘H’ marked on the ground without coming in contact with the columns. Once the applicant has driven to the satisfaction of the inspector, he or she is needed to drive on a public road for some distance with the inspector in the passenger seat. If a candidate fails in either of the tests, a re-test is conducted within 7 days and a nominal fee is charged.
Tips for Clearing Your Driving Test:
- Practice well in advance
- Stay confident while giving the test.
- Reach the testing ground a bit early to avoid last-minute hiccups
- Don’t turn off the ignition until the vehicle has come to a total halt.
- Change gears smoothly.
- Use all rearview mirrors of the vehicle
- When turning, show an indicator and hand signal.
Q: How to check driving license status in Uttarakhand?
A: To check the status of his or her driving license application in Uttarakhand online, one needs to go to parivahan.gov.in/sarathiservice9/state. One can even check it offline by visiting the RTO
Q: What is the fee for addition of a new class to a driving license issued in Uttarakhand?
A: There is a fee of Rs 500 for an addition of a new class of vehicle to one’s DL
Q: When do I need to submit a no objection certificate for obtaining a driving license?
A: A no-objection certificate (NOC) should be provided to the RTO for getting a duplicate driving license or renewal or for an international DL
Q: For obtaining a learner’s license in Uttarakhand, do I need to submit a medical certificate?
A: A medical certificate is required to be submitted for obtaining a learner’s license
Q: If I pass my learner’s license test, but if I fail during my driving license test for permanent, will I be eligible to obtain it?
A: On failing in the DL test, you can reappear for it after 7 days. However, if you fail in three consecutive attempts, you can’t reappear before 60 days.