Most of you take the help of a middleman to easily process the application for a driving licence. However, getting a permanent driving licence (DL) in Bihar (BR) is not a complicated task if you know all the processes. Going about the process yourself will save you some money as you won’t need help of a middleman. To make things easier for you, we have provided a detailed guide on how to get a driving licence in Bihar. Also, we have even provided the procedure to get an international driving permit and the process of renewing the driving license in Bihar.
Table of Contents
Types of Driving Licence (DL) in Bihar (BR)
Basically, there are 3 broad types of DLs from which you have to apply for the one that is for the type of vehicle you plan to use-
- Driving license for 2-wheeler without gear: If you wish to use a moped or a gearless scooter, you should apply for this category of DL
- Driving license for Light Motor Vehicle (LMV): If you wish to use a geared two-wheeler or drive a four-wheeler, this is the kind of DL you should have
- Driving license issued for transport vehicles: Those who plan on driving a transport vehicle need to apply for this DL.
Bihar (BR) Driving Licence (DL) – Eligibility Criteria
Akin to the other states of the country, even in Bihar, the applicant needs to meet a set of parameters to be eligible for applying for a driving licence.
- Must be 18 years of age or more
- Should have a learner’s license for a minimum of 30 days but not more than 180 days
- Should be aware of all traffic rules and regulations
- Should be at least 20 years of age for a commercial driving license.
Documents Required for Driving Licence in Bihar
For applying for a driving licence in Bihar, the applicant should submit a self-attested copy of the below documents to an RTO in Bihar
One of the below age proofs-
- Birth Certificate
- Certificate issued from the employer if you are working for state/ central government or a local body.
- Educational certificate
One of the below address proofs
- Voter’s ID
- Ration card
- Employers certificate issued by local/central or state government
- LIC policy bond
- Application form 4
- Application form 5 in case of applying for a commercial driving license
- Original learner’s license
- Three passport size photographs
How to Apply for Driving Licence Offline in Bihar (BR)?
To apply for a permanent driving licence In Bihar, the process mentioned below needs to be followed-
- Step 1: Get an application form from the nearest RTO
- Step 2: The form can be even downloaded from the official website and the printed copy needs to be submitted to the RTO.
- Step 3: Fill the following details:
- Full Name
- Father’s Name
- Residential Address
- Educational Qualification
- Date of Birth
- Place of Birth
- Blood Group
- Identification Mark
- Step 4: Submit the address and age proofs and passport-size photos.
- Step 5: Secure an appointment for the first round of the test where your know-how of traffic rules will be analyzed.
- Step 6: Once you have passed the test, you’ll be given a learner’s licence. You need to apply for a permanent one after a minimum of 30 days and a maximum of 180 days of getting a permanent licence.
How to Apply for Driving Licence Online in Bihar?
In case you apply online, the below process is required to be followed carefully –
- Step 1: Visit www.transport.bih.nic.in and select the Transport Department
- Step 2: Download the application form and print it
- Step 3: The filled form should be provided to the RTO
- Step 4: Submit all the aforementioned documents
- Step 5: Secure a slot for the driving test
- Step 6: Once you have passed the test, you need your license in 2 to 3 weeks
Steps to Check Driving Licence Application Status Online:
Steps to check driving licence status online through State Transport Department website:
One can verify the status of his or her DL application online through any of the two available methods. First is to verify the status of the application on the website of State Transport and the other is to go to the website of the Ministry of Road Transport and Highway and check the status over there. Below is the procedure for the first method –
- Step 1: Visit the website of the Transport Department of Bihar
- Step 2: Click on ‘DL and LL registration’ option.
- Step 3: A new page will load, in which, click on ‘Know your application status’.
- Step 4: Enter your application number
- Step 5: Click on the ‘Submit’ button and you will be shown the status of your application.
Steps to check driving licence status online through the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways official website:
Below is the process to check out the status of the application for DL using the second method we have mentioned above-
- Step 1: Go to parivahan.gov.in.
- Step 2: Click on ‘Driving license-related services’.
- Step 3: Select the state you reside in.
- Step 4: Click on ‘Verify status’ option on the new page that loads
- Step 5: Provide your application number and DOB
- Step 6: Fill in the correct captcha code.
- Step 7: You will be shown the status of your driving license.
How to Apply for a Duplicate Driving Licence in Bihar?
Documents required while applying for a duplicate driving license in Bihar
The following documents are needed to be given to the RTO in case you plan to apply for a duplicate driving licence in Bihar
- Application form LLD
- FIR copy if the DL is stolen
- Challan clearance report issued by traffic police in case of commercial driving license
- Form 1
- Copy of Age Proof and Address Proof
- Copy of Original licence
- License number if the license is stolen
It may be noted here that all the photocopies of the documents that are needed to be submitted should be attested by a gazetted officer or notary public
Steps to apply for a Duplicate Driving Licence in Bihar
After submitting the required documents, an applicant for a duplicate DL has to submit the following to the RTO in BR
- Step 1: Completed form LLD at the RTO.
- Step 2: A fee of Rs. 200
- Step 3: On successful verification, the applicant receives a duplicate copy of driving license on the same day
If you do not remember your DL number, you will have to apply for a fresh licence. Also, one needs to apply for a duplicate licence within 30 days of loss of original copy
How to Renew Driving Licence in Bihar?
As is the case everywhere else, even in Bihar, the validity of a DL of a non-transport vehicle is 20 years or until the holder becomes 50 years of age (whichever is earlier). Once the licence is expired, it needs to be renewed every 5 years. A commercial vehicle licence, however, is valid only for 3 years.
Documents required for renewal of driving license in Bihar
- Form 9
- Copy of Expired driver’s licence.
- Form 1A if the driver’s age is more than 40 years
- 2 passport size photographs.
- Self-attested copies of age proof and address proof.
- Receipt of payment of application fee of Rs.200/-
Steps to apply for a Duplicate Licence in Bihar
In Bihar, you can either get a duplicate DL online or you can obtain it offline. Below are the procedures for both
- Step 1: Obtain the required form from the form from the RTO
- Step 2: Fill and submit the form along with the relevant documents at the RTO
- Step 3: On verification of the documents, the applicant will be issued the renewed license on the same day.
- Step 1: Go to the official transport website of Bihar government
- Step 2: Download the form and print it
- Step 3: Submit it along with the required documents at the RTO office.
- Step 4: Once the documents are verified successfully, a DL is issued.
How to apply for an International Driving Licence in Bihar?
For getting an international driving licence (ILD) in Bihar, one can reach any RTO of the state. An ILD issued in Bihar has a validity of 12 months and one isn’t required to give any test for the same. However, one must possess a valid driving licence to be eligible for getting an international driving licence.
Documents required for getting an International Driving License in Bihar
Mentioned below are the documents that are required to be given to an RTO in Bihar for successfully obtaining an international DL
- Nationality proof
- Attested copy of permanent driving license, visa and passport
- Attested copy of a residence proof
- 5 passport-sized photos
- Medical Form 1-A
Steps to apply for a Duplicate Licence in Bihar
- Step 1: Go the RTO website and select the renewal option.
- Step 2: Pay the fees of Rs.200/-
- Step 3: Submit all the required documents. A duplicate DL will be issued on successful verification of the documents.
Driving Test Procedure in Bihar
In Bihar, the driving licence test is pretty much the same as it is in other parts of the country. The driving test is supervised by a Motor Vehicle Inspector from the RTO and the test is held in a ground near the Regional Transport Office. The applicant must take his vehicle along to the test. The vehicle should be of the same category for which he has applied for a licence. In case the candidate doesn’t have the required vehicle, he can use the vehicle of the driving school.
Test for Two-Wheeler & Three-Wheeler:
For the test for the driving licence for two and three-wheeler, the candidate has to ride inside a given boundary and make patterns of ‘8’ without touching his feet on the ground. During this process, the invigilator of the exam assesses how confident the candidate is while controlling the vehicle, braking, shifting gears, etc. Once he is satisfied with the result, the candidate is asked to ride on a public road. Based on the assessment of the rider, the Motor Vehicle Inspector decides to fail or pass the applicant.
Test for Four Wheeler:
The driving test for a four-wheeler DL is more or less the same as that for three or two-wheelers, which means its main motive is to help the invigilator figure out how comfortable one is while using the vehicle. The applicant needs to drive on an ‘H’ marked on the ground without coming in contact with the columns. After performing to the satisfaction of the inspector, the applicant is needed to drive on a public road for some distance with the inspector in the passenger seat. If a candidate fails in either of the tests, a re-test is conducted within 7 days and a nominal fee is charged.
Tips for Clearing Your Driving Test:
- Practice well in advance
- Stay confident while giving the test
- Reach a bit early
- Turn off the engine only after the vehicle has completely halted
- Be smooth with shifting gears
- Use indicators on a turn
Q: How to check driving license status in Bihar?
A: You can check your driving license status in Bihar through parivahan.gov.in or can directly visit the office and inquire about the status.
Q: What is the fee for availing an International DL in Bihar?
A: The fee for availing an International DL in Bihar is Rs. 1000.
Q: Is a driving license issued in Bihar valid all over India?
A: Yes, the DL issued in Bihar is valid all over the country
Q: Is obtaining a driving license certificate necessary?
A: No, getting a driving license certificate isn’t necessary unless you’re applying for a commercial vehicle licence.
Q: Do I have to pay any fees for driving license test?
A: Yes, a fee of Rs 50 needs to be paid for the DL test in Bihar.