It is not a very tough job to attain a driving licence in the state of Chhattisgarh, especially if you know the entire process of getting one. To get you easily get a DL without requiring to hire the services of a middleman, we have given you all the details on how to get a driving licence in Chhattisgarh. We have also provided you all the details to get an international driving permit and the process of renewing the driving license in Chhattisgarh.
Table of Contents
Types of Driving Licence (DL) in Chhattisgarh (CG)
Basically, there are 3 broad categories of DLs and one should apply for the kind of DL that allows the applicant to use the vehicle he or she plans to drive on public roads-
- Driving license for 2-wheeler without gear: This is the kind of driving licence you should apply for if you want to use a moped or a gearless scooter
- Driving license for Light Motor Vehicle (LMV): If one plans to drive a geared two wheeler or use a non-commercial four-wheeler like a car or an SUV, he or she should apply for this kind of DL.
- Driving license issued for transport vehicles: One should apply for this type of driving licence if you want to drive a commercial vehicle
Chhattisgarh (CG) Driving Licence (DL) – Eligibility Criteria
As is the case in other parts of India, even in Chattisgarh, anyone who has applied for a permanent DL should comply with a set of rules that are given below-
- The applicant should be at least 18 years old
- The applicant for the DL should hold a learner’s license for at least 30 days but not more than 180 days to be eligible for applying for a permanent DL
- Anyone who has applied for DL should be aware of all traffic rules
- The applicant must be 20 years old or above in case he or she is applying for a DL for driving license.
Documents Required for Driving Licence in Chhattisgarh
If you plan to apply for driving licence in Chhattisgarh, you are required to submit self-attested copies of the following documents-
One of the below age proofs-
- Certificate from a state/ central government if you are an employee
- Birth Certificate
- Educational certificate
One of the below address proofs
- Voter’s ID
- Ration card
- Certificate obtained from a state/ central government or a local body if you are an employee of them
- LIC policy bond
- Application form 4
- Application form 5 if applying for commercial driving license
- Original learner’s license
- 3 passport size photographs
How to Apply for Driving Licence Offline in Chhattisgarh (CG)?
In case you plan to file an application for a permanent driving licence in the state of Chhattisgarh, you need to follow the below procedure-
- Step 1: Get an application form from the nearest RTO
- Step 2: The form can be even downloaded from the official website and the printed copy needs to be submitted to the RTO.
- Step 3: Fill the following details:
- Full Name
- Father’s Name
- Residential Address
- Educational Qualification
- Date of Birth
- Place of Birth
- Blood Group
- Identification Mark
- Step 4: Submit the address and age proofs and passport-size photos.
- Step 5: Secure an appointment for the first round of the test where your know-how of traffic rules will be analyzed.
- Step 6: Once you have passed the test, you’ll be given a learner’s licence. You need to apply for a permanent one after a minimum of 30 days and a maximum of 180 days of getting a permanent licence.
How to Apply for Driving Licence Online in Chhattisgarh?
If applying online, the procedure mentioned below should be followed carefully –
- Step 1: Visit www.cgtransport.org and select the Transport Department
- Step 2: Download the application form and print it
- Step 3: The filled form should be provided to the RTO
- Step 4: Submit all the aforementioned documents
- Step 5: Get a slot for the driving test
- Step 6: Once you have passed the test, you need your license in 2 to 3 weeks
Steps to Check Driving Licence Application Status Online:
Steps to check driving licence status online through State Transport Department website:
In Chattisgarh, there are two ways through which you can check the status of your driving licence application online. You can either check the status on the official website of State Transport Department or verify it on the official website of the Ministry of Road Transport and Highway. Please follow the below steps for the first method.
- Step 1: Visit the website of the Transport Department of Chhattisgarh
- Step 2: Click on ‘DL and LL registration’ option.
- Step 3: A new page will load, in which, click on ‘Know your application status’.
- Step 4: Enter your application number
- Step 5: Click on the ‘Submit’ button and you will be shown the status of your application.
Steps to check driving licence status online through the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways official website:
Given below are the steps to check the DL application status through the second available method-
- Step 1: Go to parivahan.gov.in.
- Step 2: Click on ‘Driving license-related services’.
- Step 3: Select the state you reside in.
- Step 4: Click on ‘Verify status’ option on the new page that loads
- Step 5: Provide your application number and DOB
- Step 6: Fill in the correct captcha code.
- Step 7: You will be shown the status of your driving license.
How to Apply for a Duplicate Driving Licence in Chhattisgarh?
Documents required while applying for a duplicate driving license in Chhattisgarh
The documents that are required to be submitted along with the form to obtain a duplicate licence in Chhattisgarh have been listed below-
- Application form LLD
- FIR copy if the DL is stolen
- Challan clearance report issued by traffic police in case of commercial driving license
- Form 1
- Copy of Age Proof and Address Proof
- Copy of Original licence
- License number if the license is stolen
All the photocopies of the documents that are needed to be given to the RTO should be attested by a gazetted officer or notary
Steps to apply for a Duplicate Driving Licence in Chhattisgarh
After payment of the fee for a duplicate licence, one needs to provide the RTO with the below-mentioned things-
- Step 1: Completed form LLD at the RTO.
- Step 2: A fee of Rs. 200
- Step 3: On successful verification, the applicant receives a duplicate copy of driving license on the same day
If the applicant can’t remember the DL no., he has to apply for a fresh licence.
How to Renew Driving Licence in Chhattisgarh?
As is the case across the nation, in Chhattisgarh, the driving licence for a non-commercial vehicle is valid for 20 years or until the holder attains the age of 50 years. After this, the DL should be renewed every 5 years. On the other hand, a commercial vehicle driving licence is valid for just 3 years.
Documents required for renewal of driving license in Chhattisgarh
- Form 9
- Copy of Expired driver’s licence.
- Form 1A if the driver’s age is more than 40 years
- 2 passport size photographs.
- Self-attested copies of age proof and address proof.
- Receipt of payment of application fee of Rs.200/-
Steps to apply for a Duplicate Licence in Chhattisgarh
In Chhattisgarh, you can either get a duplicate DL online or you can obtain it offline. Below are the procedures for both
- Step 1: Obtain the required form from the RTO
- Step 2: Fill and submit the form along with the relevant documents at the RTO
- Step 3: On verification of the documents, the applicant will be issued the renewed license on the same day.
- Step 1: Go to the official transport website of Chhattisgarh government
- Step 2: Download the form and print it
- Step 3: Submit it along with the required documents at the RTO office.
- Step 4: Once the documents are verified successfully, a DL is issued.
How to apply for an International Driving Licence in Chhattisgarh?
One can get an international driving licence from any RTO located across Chhattisgarh. For obtaining an international permit, there is no requirement of a test but the applicant should hold a permanent driving licence issued in Chhattisgarh. An international driving licence has a validity of 12 months.
Documents required for getting an International Driving License in Chhattisgarh
Following documents are required to be provided to the RTO to apply for an international driving licence.
- Nationality proof
- Attested copy of permanent driving license, visa and passport
- Attested copy of a residence proof
- 5 passport-sized photos
- Medical Form 1-A
Steps to apply for a Duplicate Licence in Chhattisgarh
- Step 1: Go the RTO website and select the renewal option.
- Step 2: Pay the fees of Rs.200/-
- Step 3: Submit all the required documents. A duplicate DL will be issued on successful verification of the documents.
Driving Test Procedure in Chhattisgarh
Like we’ve been saying, the driving test procedure stays pretty much the same across all states in the country. Hence, even in the state of Chhattisgarh, the driving licence test is supervised by a Motor Vehicle Inspector from the RTO who analyzes the applicant at a ground near the RTO. The applicant is required to have a vehile of the same class for which he needs a DL. In case he doesn’t own such a vehicle, he can use the vehicle of the driving school.
Test for Two-Wheeler & Three-Wheeler:
For the driving licence test for two and three-wheeler in Chhattisgarh, the candidate has to ride inside a given boundary and make patterns of ‘8’ without touching his feet on the ground. During this process, the invigilator of the exam assesses how confident the candidate is while controlling the vehicle, braking, shifting gears, etc. Once he is satisfied with the result, the candidate is asked to ride on a public road. Based on the assessment of the rider, the Motor Vehicle Inspector decides to fail or pass the applicant.
Test for Four Wheeler:
Fundamentally speaking, the driving test for a 4-wheeler remains the same as that for 2- or 3-wheeler as even for this category, the invigilator analyzes how confident the applicant is while using the vehicle. The examinee has to drive on an ‘H’ marked on the ground without touching the columns. Once the invigilator is satisfied by the driving, he asks the applicant to drive on a public road for some distance. Once the examiner is satisfied, he approves the application for the DL. In case the applicant fails the test, he can re-apply after seven days after paying a nominal fee.
Tips for Clearing Your Driving Test:
- Practice well in advance so that you are confident in front of the invigilator
- Reach the exam ground a bit early to avoid last moment delays
- Turn off the ignition only after the vehicle has completely stopped
- Be smooth with shifting gears
- Use indicators on a turn
Q: Can I use an international driving license issued in Chhattisgarh for driving on Indian roads?
A: No, you cannot use an international driving licence to drive in India, regardless of which state you got it issued from. For local driving, you should carry a valid permanent DL.
Q: What is the driving test fee in Chhattisgarh?
A: The driving test fee in Chhattisgarh is Rs 50.
Q: When is a medical certificate required for obtaining a driving license in Chhattisgarh?
A: A medical certificate is required when applying for a driving licence in Chhattisgarh only if the age of the applicant is more than 50 years.
Q: How can I check my driving license status in Chhattisgarh?
A: You can check the DL status in Chhattisgarh online through http://cgtransport.org or directly at the RTO.
Q: Can I apply for driving license test online in Chhattisgarh?
A: Yes, you can apply online for driving licence test in Chhattisgarh.
Q: What is the fee for obtaining a smart card DL in Chhattisgarh?
A: The fee for obtaining a smart card DL in Chhattisgarh is Rs 200.