In case you live in a city of Madhya Pradesh (MP) and plan to get a driving licence, you should know the correct procedure in order to obtain the document at the earliest. It should be noted here that having a valid driving licence is compulsory if you wish to drive a car or ride a motorcycle on the public roads. In this post, we will tell you how to apply for driving licence in Madhya Pradesh, along with giving you information on how to obtain an international driving permit and how to renew the driving license in MP
Table of Contents
Types of Driving Licence (DL) in Madhya Pradesh (MP)
Based on the type of vehicle you plan to drive or ride, you should apply for one of the following types of driving licences –
- Driving license for motorcycles without gear: Apply for a DL of this type if you wish to use a two-wheeler that doesn’t have gear.
- Driving license issued for light motor vehicles: Apply for a DL of this kind if you wish to use a two-wheeler with gears or a private motor vehicle (cars, SUVs, MPVs).
- Driving license issued for transport vehicles: If you plan to drive a heavy motor vehicle for transportation of goods or passengers, you should obtain this DL.
Madhya Pradesh (MP) Driving Licence (DL) – Eligibility Criteria
You need to meet the following criteria if you wish to get a driving licence in Madhya Pradesh (MP)-
- You should be at least 18 years old
- You should have a learner’s license
- You must apply for a permanent driving licence after 30 days or within 180 days of securing a learner’s license.
- You should be knowing all the traffic rules and regulations.
- In the case of a commercial driving license, you must be at least 20 years old
Documents Required for Driving Licence in Madhya Pradesh
For getting a driving licence in Madhya Pradesh, you need to submit the following documents to the RTO
One of the below for the proof of age:
- Birth certificate
- High school passing certificate
- Attested copy of the passport
- Certificate issued from the employer if you are working for state/ central government or a local body.
One of the below for proof of address:
- Voter’s ID
- Ration card
- LIC policy bond
- Valid passport
- Employers certificate issued by local/central or state government
- Application form 4
- Application form 5 in case of applying for a commercial driving license
- Original learner’s license
- Three passport size photographs
How to Apply for Driving Licence Offline in Madhya Pradesh (MP)?
For applying for a permanent driving licence offline in MP, you should go through the below steps-
- Step 1: Visit the nearest RTO and obtain the application form. Alternatively, you can get this form on the official website of the RTO
- Step 2: Next, fill the following details in the form:
- Full Name
- Father’s Name
- Residential Address
- Educational Qualification
- Date of Birth
- Place of Birth
- Blood Group
- Identification Mark
- Step 3: Submit address proof, passport-size photos, etc.
- Step 4: Obtain a time slot for the first round of the test. The RTO officers will test your knowledge of traffic rules and regulations through an online test.
- Step 5: Once you pass the test, you will be given a learner’s license. For getting a permanent DL, you should have a learner’s licence for at least 30 days and not more than 180 days.
How to Apply for Driving Licence Online in Madhya Pradesh?
For applying for a permanent DL online in Madhya Pradesh, you should go through the below process-
- Step 1: Visit www.transpot.mp.gov.in and download the form
- Step 2: Fill all the details in the printed copy of the form and submit it at the local RTO
- Step 3: Provide all the necessary documents
- Step 4: Get a slot for the driving test
- Step 5: Once you have passed the test, you will get your license in 2 to 3 weeks
- Step 6: The form can be also submitted and uploaded online by following the below steps-
- 1: Visit sarathi.nic.in
- 2: Click on ‘Application for new DL’.
- 3: Click on ‘New driving license’
- 4: Enter all the required details and submit all the documents
- 5: You will be given an application number
- 6: You can also schedule your driving license test
- 7: Appear for the test on the given day
- 8: If you pass the test, you will receive your driving license in a few days
Steps to Check Driving Licence Application Status Online:
Steps to check driving licence status online through State Transport Department website:
For checking the status of your DL application online, you can use any of the two available methods. You can either check the DL status on the State Transport’s official website or check it on the Ministry of Road Transport and Highway’s official website.
- Step 1: Visit the official website of the State Transport Department of Madhya Pradesh
- Step 2: Select ‘DL and LL registration’ option.
- Step 3: In the new page that loads, click on ‘Know your application status’.
- Step 4: Enter the application number
- Step 5: Click on ‘Submit’ and the page will then display the status of your driving license.
Steps to check driving licence status online through Ministry of Road Transport and Highways official website:
- Step 1: Visit parivahan.gov.in.
- Step 2: Click on ‘Driving license-related services’.
- Step 3: Select the state you reside in.
- Step 4: On the new page that loads, click on ‘Verify status’ option
- Step 5: Enter your application number and date of birth.
- Step 6: Fill in the correct captcha code.
- Step 7: You will be shown the status of your driving license.
How to Apply for a Duplicate Driving Licence in Madhya Pradesh?
Documents required while applying for a duplicate driving license in Madhya Pradesh:
In case you end up in a scenario where you have lost your driving licence, you can apply for a duplicate DL in Madhya Pradesh by first submitting the below documents –
- Application form LLD
- FIR copy, in case the license is stolen
- Challan clearance report issued from traffic police. This is required in case of commercial driving license.
- Form 1
- Age and address proof documents.
- Original license copy
- License number if the license is stolen
- The applicant will have to get the documents photocopied and attested by a gazetted officer or notary public.
Steps to apply for a Duplicate Driving Licence in Madhya Pradesh:
Once you have submitted the required documents, you can file an application for a duplicate driving licence in MP by following the below process-
- Step 1: Collect the form LLD, fill it and submit it at the RTO along with the above-mentioned documents.
- Step 2: Submit a fee of Rs. 200
- Step 3: After successful verification of the documents, a duplicate driving license will be provided
If you don’t remember your DL number, you will need to apply for a new licence. Also, the request for a duplicate copy of the DL should be made within 30 days from losing the document.
How to Renew Driving Licence in Madhya Pradesh?
In Madhya Pradesh, a driving licence is valid for 20 years. However, in case one gets 50 years old before the completion of 20 years, the renewal should be processed immediately.
Documents required for renewal of driving license in MP:
- Duly filled application form 9
- A copy of the expired original driver’s licence.
- Medical certificate and Form 1 A if the driver is more than 40 years of age.
- 2 passport size photographs.
- Self-attested copies of age proof and address proof.
- Application fee of Rs.200/- and receipt.
Steps to apply for a Duplicate Licence in Madhya Pradesh:
- Step 1: Visit the RTO website and select the tab for renewal.
- Step 2: Apply for the renewal and pay the fees of Rs.200/- for the smart card driving licence issued in Madhya Pradesh
- Step 3: Submit the necessary documents to expedite the request quicker. As soon as the documents will be verified, you will be issued the new driving licence.
- Step 1: Collect the form from the RTO
- Step 2: Fill and submit the form along with the relevant documents at the RTO
- Step 3: On verification of the documents, the applicant will be issued the renewed license on the same day.
- Step 1: Visit Madhya Pradesh Government’s transport website- www.transport.mp.gov.in
- Step 2: Download the form online and print it
- Step 3: Fill it and submit it along with the relevant documents at the RTO office.
- On verification of the documents, the driving license is issued to the applicant on the same day.
How to apply for an International Driving Licence in Madhya Pradesh?
International DLs can be obtained from any of the RTOs spread across Madhya Pradesh. These are valid for 1 year. There isn’t any test for obtaining an international DL but having a permanent driving licence is a must.
Documents required for getting an International Driving License in Madhya Pradesh:
Following are the documents that should be submitted along with an application for an international driving licence-
- Proof of nationality
- Attested copy of the permanent driving license, passport and visa
- Attested copy of a valid residence proof
- Five passport-sized photos
- Medical Form 1-A
Steps to apply for a Duplicate Licence in Madhya Pradesh:
- Step 1: In order to get the driving licence renewed in MP, you should visit the RTO website and select the tab to request the renewal.
- Step 2: Next, you need to apply for the renewal and pay the fees of Rs.200/- for the smart card driving licence issued in MP
- Step 3: Provide the required documents to the RTO to expedite the request quicker.
You’ll be provided with the duplicate DL as soon as the documents are verified.
Driving Test Procedure in Madhya Pradesh:
In Madhya Pradesh, the DL test of all kinds of vehicles is conducted under the supervision of a Motor Vehicle Inspector. Regardless of whether you have applied for the driving licence offline or online, you will need to go to the RTO to give the test. Also, you are required to have your own vehicle of the same category for which you have applied for a DL. In case you don’t own such a vehicle you can take along a vehicle from your driving school.
Test for Two-Wheeler & Three-Wheeler:
The test for two-wheeler and three-wheeler is conducted near the RTO. The applicant of the DL for two-wheeler or three-wheeler is tested by having to ride the vehicle within a border and make ‘Eight’ figure without touching the poles embedded at the corners. The applicant also needs to show proper gear change, vehicle control while speed shifts, bending corners or reversing, and making ‘figure of eight’ without the feet touching the ground. If the inspector finds that the applicant can do all the above, he gives approval for a road test, where the applicant must show correct riding skills for a certain distance.
Test for Four Wheeler:
The driving test for applicants of driving licence for four-wheeler stays fundamentally the same as that for two or three-wheeler. In the driving test for four wheelers, the applicant must drive along an ‘H’ marked on the testing ground without touching any of the columns. Once the test is cleared, the driver will need to drive correctly on the road. case, the applicant will need to drive along the marked ‘H’ without touching the columns. After clearing the test, the driver is required to drive correctly on the road. The tests for two-, three-, and four-wheelers are conducted in accordance with the guidelines under Rule 15 of the Central Vehicle Motor Act (1989). If the applicant fails, he can reappear for the test in 7 days after paying a nominal charge.
Tips for Clearing Your Driving Test:
- Practice well before going for the test
- Be confident
- Reach a bit early for the test to avoid last-minute delays
- Turn off engine only after the vehicle has come to a complete halt
- Shift gears smoothly.
- Use both side rearview mirrors
- Use indicators and hand signals on turns
Q: What happens if the applicant fails in the driving test?
A: The applicant can re-appear for a driving test after a period of 7 days.
Q: Does the applicant require a medical certificate for Learner’s Licence?
A: As per the RTO, only those who have applied for a commercial driving licence require a medical certificate.
Q: What are the subjects covered in the “Driving Preliminary Test”?
A: Rules and Regulations of Traffic Signs and Signals, as per the Motor Vehicles Act.
1. Duties and responsibilities of drivers on road.
2. Road safety
3. Information on documents to be carried while on road.
Q: What is the validity of a learner’s licence?
A: The validity of a learner’s licence is 180 days.
Q: How long is a permanent driving licence valid?
A: The permanent DL is valid for 20 years if the applicant is below 50 years. In case he is 50 years old, the DL is valid only for 10 years.
Q: How can I change my address in the driving license?
A: You can change the address in your driving license by filling and submitting form 7 along with documents such as age and address proof, new residential address proof and passport size photographs.
Q: How to check driving license status in Madhya Pradesh?
A: You can check the status of your driving license online on the website-dpes.mptransport.org/MPTS/Default.htm.
Q: Can I add a new vehicle class to my motor vehicle?
A: Yes, you can add a new vehicle class to your DL. You will have to submit filled copy of form 8 and other documents to the RTO.
Q: What are the documents required for getting a conductor’s driving license in Madhya Pradesh?
A: For obtaining a conductors’ driving license, you are required to fill and submit form L.CON.A, form M.C.CON, attested copies of address and age proof, attested copy of 10th class certificate, 2 passport size photographs and a fee of Rs. 200.
Q: What is the fee for renewal of driving license in Madhya Pradesh?
A: The fee for renewal of driving license within 30 days from the date of expiry is Rs. 250. A late submission charge of Rs. 50 is added in case of renewal after 30 days from the date of expiry.
Q: How frequently should someone renew his/her DL in Madhya Pradesh?
What can I do if I fail the DL test?
A: Once the DL is expired, the holder should renew it every five years. For commercial vehicle licence, the renewal should be done every three years.
Q: Can I modify or cancel the dates for Driving License test?
A: You can modify or cancel the test dates but you will need to pay a small fee for it.