The Motor Vehicle Act, 1988 states that one needs to hold a valid driving licence in order to legally use a motor vehicle on public roads. In case you are a resident of Dadra and Nagar Haveli (DN) and plan to obtain a driving licence (DL) effortlessly, you can go through this guide of ours as we tell you how to get a driving licence in Dadra and Nagar Haveli online and offline. We also tell you the process to obtain a driving licence to obtain an international driving licence or a duplicate driving licence in Dadra and Nagar Haveli.
Table of Contents
Types of Driving Licence (DL) in Dadra and Nagar Haveli (DN)
As it has been everywhere else in India, even in Dadra and Nagar Haveli, there are three types of DLs –
- Driving license for 2-wheeler without gear: For use of a moped or a gearless scooter with an engine of less than 50cc
- Driving license for Light Motor Vehicle (LMV): For use of a geared two-wheeler with engine of more than 50cc or a non-commercial four-wheeler
- Driving license issued for transport vehicles: For use of a commercial vehicle
Dadra and Nagar Haveli (DN) Driving Licence (DL) – Eligibility Criteria
The following conditions should be satisfied for getting a DL In Dadra and Nagar Haveli
- Should be 16 years of age or more to legally use a motorcycle with an engine of less than 50cc
- Should be 18 years of age or more to legally use a motorcycle with an engine capacity of more than 50cc and a four-wheeler like a car or an SUV.
- Should be 20 years of age or more to legally drive a heavy transport vehicle
- Should know of all the traffic rules
- Should hold a temporary DL for at least 30 days but not above 180 days
Documents Required for Driving Licence in Dadra and Nagar Haveli
For getting a Driving Licence in Dadra and Nagar Haveli, one must submit self-attested copies of below-mentioned documents to the RTO.
Just one of the below age proofs-
- Birth Certificate
- Educational certificate
- Certificate from a state/ central government if you are an employee
Just one of the below address proofs
- Voter’s ID
- Ration card
- Certificate obtained from a state/ central government or a local body if you are an employee of them
- LIC policy bond
- Application form 4
- Application form 5 if applying for commercial driving license
- Original learner’s license
- 3 passport size photographs
How to Apply for Driving Licence Offline in Dadra and Nagar Haveli (DN)?
To obtain a driving license in Dadra and Nagar Haveli, one must go through all the steps given in the list we have below
- Step 1: Get an application form from the RTO
- Step 2: The same form can be even downloaded from the official website and the printed copy needs to be submitted to the RTO.
- Step 3: Fill the following details:
- Full Name
- Father’s Name
- Residential Address
- Educational Qualification
- Date of Birth
- Place of Birth
- Blood Group
- Identification Mark
- Step 4: Provide the address and age proofs and passport-size photos to the RTO.
- Step 5: Obtain an appointment for the first stage of the test, in which the RTO tests your knowledge of traffic rules is tested.
- Step 6: On passing the test, you’ll be issued a learner’s licence. You can apply for a permanent DL after holding a learner’s licence for at least 30 days but not more than 180 days.
How to Apply for Driving Licence Online in Dadra and Nagar Haveli?
In Dadra and Nagar Haveli, the below-given steps should be followed when applying for a driving licence online –
- Step 1: Go to www.dnh.nic.in/Departments/Transport.aspx and go the Transport section.
- Step 2: Choose the Driving Licence option
- Step 3: Obtain the application form by downloading it and print it
- Step 4: Deposit the filled form to the RTO
- Step 5: Deposit all the required documents that are mentioned above
- Step 6: Obtain a slot from the RTO for the driving test
- Step 7: Once you pass this test, you will get the driving license in 2 to 3 weeks
Steps to Check Driving Licence Application Status Online:
Steps to check driving licence status online through State Transport Department website:
The status of the application of driving licence can be verified through any of the two methods that are available. First of these is to go to the official website of the State Transport Department of Dadra and Nagar Haveli to check out the status and the second is to check it on the website of the Ministry of Road Transport and Highway. Below is the process to check the status using the first method-
- Step 1: Visit the website of the Transport Department of Dadra and Nagar Haveli
- Step 2: Click on ‘DL and LL registration’ option.
- Step 3: A new page will load, in which, click on ‘Know your application status’.
- Step 4: Enter your application number
- Step 5: Click on the ‘Submit’ button and you will be shown the status of your application.
Steps to check driving licence status online through the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways official website:
Below is the method to check the status of driving licence application through the second option that is available-
- Step 1: Visit parivahan.gov.in.
- Step 2: Click on ‘Driving license-related services’.
- Step 3: Select the state you reside in.
- Step 4: Click on ‘Verify status’ option on the new page that loads
- Step 5: Provide your application number and DOB
- Step 6: Fill in the correct captcha code.
- Step 7: You will be shown the status of your driving license.
How to Apply for a Duplicate Driving Licence in Dadra and Nagar Haveli?
Documents required while applying for a duplicate driving license in Dadra and Nagar Haveli
Following are all the documents that should be provided to the RTO to obtain a duplicate driving licence in the UT of Dadra and Nagar Haveli
- Application form LLD
- FIR copy if the DL is stolen
- Challan clearance report issued by traffic police in case of commercial driving license
- Form 1
- Copy of Age Proof and Address Proof
- Copy of Original licence
- License number if the license is stolen
All the photocopies should be attested by a notary or a gazetted officer
Steps to apply for a Duplicate Driving Licence in Dadra and Nagar Haveli
Below steps are to be gone through once you have paid the fee for duplicate driving licence to the RTO
- Step 1: Submit the duly filled form LLD at the RTO.
- Step 2: Submit fee payment receipt
- Step 3: Obtain a duplicate driving licence on successful verification of the documents
One has to apply for a new driving licence if you don’t remember the driving licence number
How to Renew Driving Licence in Dadra and Nagar Haveli?
In Dadra and Nagar Haveli, a driving licence for a non-commercial vehicle has a validity for 20 years or until the licence-holder becomes 50 years old (whatever happens earlier). Once the driving licence has expired, it should be renewed every 5 years. Meanwhile, a commercial driving licence has to be renewed every 3 years.
Documents required for renewal of driving license in Dadra and Nagar Haveli
- Form 9
- A Xerox copy of Expired driver’s licence.
- Form 1A is required in case the driver’s age is more than 40 years
- 2 passport size photographs.
- Self-attested copies of age proof and address proof.
- Receipt of payment of application fee of Rs.200/-
Steps to apply for a Duplicate Licence in Dadra and Nagar Haveli
The procedure for obtaining a duplicate copy of the driving licence can be started online or offline based completely on your convenience.
- Step 1: Visit the RTO and get the required form
- Step 2: Provide the duly filled form and the necessary documents to the RTO
- Step 3: On successful verification, a renewed license is issued on the same day.
- Step 1: Visit the official transport website of Dadra and Nagar Haveli
- Step 2: Download the form
- Step 3: Print the form and fill it
- Step 4: Submit the form to the RTO along with the required documents
- Step 5: A duplicate DL is issued after successful verification.
How to apply for an International Driving Licence in Dadra and Nagar Haveli?
To get an international driving licence in Dadra and Nagar Haveli, simply visit the RTO and apply for the international driving licence on the submission of the documents mentioned below. You won’t have to appear in any test for obtaining an international driving licence but it is compulsory to hold a permanent driving licence to be eligible for getting the international driving licence.
Documents required for getting an International Driving License in Dadra and Nagar Haveli
Here is a list of all the documents that should be provided to the RTO on applying for an international driving licence
- Nationality proof
- Attested copy of the permanent driving license, visa and passport
- Attested copy of a residence proof
- 5 passport-sized photos
- Medical Form 1-A
Steps to apply for a Duplicate Licence in Dadra and Nagar Haveli
- Step 1: Visit the official website of the RTO
- Step 2: Choose the renewal option.
- Step 3: Submit the required fee for the duplicate licence
- Step 4: Provide the RTO with the required documents and collect the duplicate DL on successful verification of the documents
Driving Test Procedure in Dadra and Nagar Haveli
In Dadra and Nagar Haveli, Rule 15 of Motor Vehicle Act, 1988 defines the procedure to conduct the driving test. This test is conducted by a Motor Vehicle Inspector from the RTO, who acts as an invigilator. The candidate is required to have his own vehicle for the test. Of course, it should be of the same category as the one for which he requires a licence. In case he doesn’t have the required type of vehicle, he can use the vehicle of the motor driving school.
Test for Two-Wheeler & Three-Wheeler:
For the driving licence test of a two-wheeler or a three-wheeler, the candidate has to ride the vehicle inside a boundary and ride in a way so as to make an imaginary pattern of ‘8’ without touching the feet on the ground. Once the invigilator is satisfied, he asks the applicant to ride on the public road, where he notes how comfortable the applicant is when using the vehicle in a real-world situation.
Test for Four Wheeler
For the test for the driving licence for a 4-wheeler, the applicant is first required to drive on an ‘H’ marked on the ground without touching any of the columns placed on the boundary. Once the invigilator is satisfied, he asks the applicant to drive on a public road, where his performance in real-world conditions is judged. If satisfied, he is passed. On failing, he can apply for a re-test after 7 days after the payment of a nominal fee.
Tips for Clearing Your Driving Test:
- Practice well before giving the exam
- Don’t be nervous during the test
- Reach early to avoid last-minute delays
- Drive smoothly
- Turn off the ignition only once the vehicle has come to a complete halt
- Use turn indicators when changing directions