Arya Samaj marriages are very simple to execute and the rituals are straight. Couples from different religions who fall under the broad umbrella of Hindus in India can perform Arya Samaj. This is a choice and wiling preference for couples where one person belongs to Buddhism, Jainism or Sikh religion. The ceremony performs adhering to the Vedic rituals in an Arya Samaj temple. According to the Vedic principles, the hymns spelt during the ceremony are explained to the bride and groom. Arya Samaj marriage is just like Hindu marriage, where the marriage takes place around the fire. Also, it is legally recognised. In fact, there is the Arya Samaj Marriage Validation Act of 1937 provided under the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955.
Table of Contents
Two types of marriage registrations
- The couple can register their marriage under section 8 of the Act. They have to visit the district marriage registration office, where the marriage took place.
However, couples might have the same beliefs or sometimes, different ones too.
- An Arya Samaj marriage can be registered under the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955, in case both couples have the same principles.
- If the beliefs differ, then the couple can register under the Special Marriage Act, 1954.
Who are eligible for an Arya Samaj marriage?
- The groom’s minimum age has to be 21 whereas the bride should have 18.
- Any person who is a Hindu, Buddhist, Jain, Sikh can perform Arya Samaj Marriage.
- Any person who is not a Muslim, Christian, Parsis or Jews can also perform this type of wedding style.
- Inter-Caste Marriages and Inter-Religious Marriages are eligible in an Arya Samaj Marriage. But none of the marrying persons should be a Muslim, Christian, Parsis or Jews.
- If a non-Hindu couple would like to perform the marriage, the Samaj allows them to convert through a process called Shuddhi. Muslims, Christians, Parsis or Jews, if, out of their free will and consent are ready to convert and embrace Hindu Religion, the Arya Samaj Mandir perform a ritual called Shuddhi. Shuddhi means purification for such conversion, and thereafter, such a convert can perform Arya Samaj Marriage.
Six-step procedure for Arya Samaj registration
- Make an appointment at the sub-divisional magistrate’s office. It takes at least a fortnight. So it’s advisable to start this procedure before the marriage takes place.
- Fill the registration form.
- Submit all the proofs and documents needed.
- Two passport size photographs of the bride and the groom along with a photograph of the marriage. Bring the marriage invitation card (optional).
- Two witnesses who have to be physically present to sign.
- Attestation of gazetted officer is mandatory.
Consequently, after fulfilling all the formalities, the magistrate’s office will grant the marriage certificate, which is legally recognized by the court.
Documents required for solemnisation
- 4 copies of coloured photographs of both the bride and the groom.
- Proofs for the DOB and proofs for address by both the parties.
- The bride and the groom should have reached the eligibility.
- Two witnesses are acceptable to witness the wedding.
- In case if one of the spouse is a widow, then the widow has to submit the death certificate of the dead spouse.
- If one of the spouse is a foreign citizen or holding a foreign passport or is having foreign residential address, then the spouse requires the Certificate of present marital status of the party/ NOC from the concerned Embassy and Valid VISA.
Advantages of Marrying under Arya Samaj customs and rituals
- Arya Samaj marriages are very cost-effective as Arya Samaj mandir charges very little amount for the marriage.
- It takes place within a few hours only.
- Two witnesses are enough, who may be anybody including parents, siblings, friends or anybody.
- In practicality, one can plan within 30 minutes, then go to Arya Samaj Mandir and complete the rest ritual within an hour.
Arya Samaj Marriage fees:
An Arya Samaj marriage will cost you anything between Rs.5000 and Rs.10,000 depending on which city the wedding takes places. But if you are planning anything ahead, then it depends on your plans and quantity. These Arya Samaj Mandir marriage fees are inclusive of the wedding rituals as well as the marriage certificate cost.
The validity of the Arya Samaj Certificate:
Why court registration is better?
It’s important to note that an Arya Samaj marriage certificate is not a valid proof of the couple’s marriage abroad. The certificate holds value only in India. This can, however, be easily solved by registering the marriage with the sub registrar’s office. In case, if you receive the certification in a local language, then you will have to translate to English to show it in countries outside India.