Driving license is an official document that permits an individual to operate or drive a motorized vehicle on road. It includes all types of vehicles starting from a moped to a truck. It is again a document that entitles a person to operate the vehicle on road without formal supervision. However, in order to facilitate the learning process, the RTO’s or the Regional transport offices issue a learner’s license first. This is a provisional document that would entitle one to practice driving under the supervision of a trainer or a person who already has a valid license.
Table of Contents
Types of Driving License in India
There are different types of vehicles that are available in the market and used by individuals for different purposes. You should apply for the license depending on the vehicle/ vehicles you might be driving. The types of Driving license can be categorized as
- Two wheeler license for motorcycles with engine capacity of 50cc or even less than that.
- Light Motor Vehicle license for motorcycles with gear and an engine capacity over 50cc as well as cars.
- Motorcycle license for any cc vehicle but without gears. Mopeds and scooters fall under this category.
- Light motor vehicle license for the non-transport purpose
- Light motor vehicle for commercial purpose
- Heavy Passenger motor vehicle license or open license. It is also called the All India driving permit for cars and trucks.
- Heavy goods motor vehicle license
- Heavy trailer license for persons who already possess a heavy vehicle Driving license.
List of India States For Driving Licence
Why do you need a Driving License in India?
You cannot drive a vehicle without a Driving license as per the rules and provisions laid down in the Motor Vehicles Act of 1988. The RTO or Regional transport offices were established in different districts the state to issue licenses after conducting driving tests especially apart from its other duties. It can be got by applying for the same at the RTO online or offline and taking up the driving test on the date allotted. You need a driving license in India because
- It is one of the important documents that are acceptable for personal identification and is a valid ID proof.
- It is mandatory to have a Driving license if you wish to drive a vehicle. Having a driving license would make commuting easier.
Eligibility for Driving License in India
The eligibility criteria for getting a license varies depending on the type of license you are applying for. The eligibility criteria are as follows.
|Motor cycle: gearless, engine capacity below 50cc||The applicant must be more than 16 years old|
|LMV Motor cycle with gear and cars||The person who applies should be 18 years old|
|Commercial heavy vehicles and transport||The person who is applying should have studied till 8th standard and must be 18/20 years old. It varies in different states|
Documents Required for Driving License in India
Applying for a Driving license is a simple process. You can do it offline by visiting the RTO near you and collecting the application form or download the form online. However, to make sure that the process of allotting the license is not delayed, it is important to attach all the important documents that are required for getting the license like
- Birth certificate or any other valid document for proving the age like PAN card, Passport, 10th mark list, TC from school for any class that has the date of birth printed on it.
- Proof of address- it includes any one of the documents like Aadhar card, house agreement with you as the owner, electricity bill, Voter’s ID card, Ration card, bank passbook, and others. In case of rented house, rental agreement or the electricity bill or the LPG bill has to be attached.
- Application form
- 6 passport size photos in case you are applying for learner’s license
- 1 passport size photo while applying for a permanent license
- Application fee
- Medical certificate- Form 1A and 1 that is issued by a doctor in Government service. it is mandatory for all applicants over the age of 40.
How to Apply for Driving License in India?
You can follow the following simple steps and apply for a driving license in India. However, there are two possible methods- applying online, applying offline.
How to Apply for Driving License Online?
It is now possible to apply for the driving license online. however, you can only proceed till you fix up an appointment for the driving test. The license would be issued only after completing the driving test successfully. The steps in getting the appointment include
- Visiting the official website of the RTO of your region and downloading the application form either for a learner’s license or permanent license.
- Fill the form following the instructions that you see on the screen and click on the submit button once done.
- Add form D if the applicant is 16 years old and has to attach the consent form from the parent or guardian.
- Upload the application along with the documents required that has to be uploaded too.
- A web application number would be generated. This number would help you track the status of the application later.
- You would receive a notification regarding the driving test through SMS once the processing is done.
How to Apply for Driving License in RTO/Offline?
The steps for applying offline for Driving license include
- Visiting the RTO near you to obtain form 4 which is the application for driving license
- Filling up the application, sign and attach all the required documents mentioned above.
- Submit it at the RTO near you and schedule a slot for the driving test
- Pay the fee for the test
Complete the test and collect the license when notified.
Driving License FAQ
Q: How to apply for a learner’s license?
Answer: It is the same process as that of applying for a permanent Driving license. You can apply online as well as offline.form 1and form 1A has to be submitted along with all other documents that are required.
Q: What happens if one fails in the driving test?
Answer: In case of failure in the driving test has to be repeated. It can be done 7 days after the first test.
Q: How long will it take to get the license after driving test is completed successfully?
Answer: The Driving license would be delivered at your doorstep within 3 weeks after the completion of the driving test.