Obtaining a DL (driving license) in West Bengal (WB) is not at all a tough if you know the procedure that should be followed. The driving licence is required to be obtained if you wish to drive a vehicle on the public streets of the state of West Bengal. Here, we have provided you with the information on how to apply for driving licence in West Bengal, along with information on how to obtain an international driving permit and how to renew the driving license in West Bengal.
Table of Contents
Types of Driving Licence (DL) in West Bengal (WB)
There are three types of DLs and the kind of licence you should apply for must be based on the type of vehicle you plan to use
- Driving license for motorcycles without gear: Apply for this type of DL if you plan to use a two-wheeler that doesn’t have gears.
- Driving license issued for light motor vehicles: Apply for this kind of driving licence if you plan to use a two-wheeler with gears or a private motor vehicle (cars, SUVs, MPVs).
- Driving license issued for transport vehicles: If you want to drive heavy motor vehicles for transportation of goods or passengers, you should obtain this DL.
West Bengal (WB) Driving Licence (DL) – Eligibility Criteria
As is the case across the country, an applicant for a DL should meet the following conditions to get a driving licence in West Bengal (WB)-
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Should have a learner’s license for at least 30 days but not more than 180 days.
- Should know all traffic rules and regulations.
- Must be at least 20 years old to obtain a commercial licence
Documents Required for Driving Licence in West Bengal
For applying for a driving licence in West Benga, the applicant needs to submit the following documents to the RTO
Any one of the below for the age proof-
- High school passing certificate
- Birth certificate
- Attested copy of the passport
- Certificate issued from the employer if you are working for state/ central government or a local body.
Any one of the below for the address proof-
- Voter’s ID
- Ration card
- LIC policy bond
- Valid passport
- Employers certificate issued by local/central or state government
- Application form 4
- Application form 5 in case of applying for a commercial driving license
- Original learner’s license
- Three passport size photographs
How to Apply for Driving Licence Offline in West Bengal (WB)?
For applying for a DL offline in West Bengal, you need to go through the following procedure:
- Step 1: Visit the nearest RTO and get the application form. Alternatively, you can download the form from the official website of the RTO
- Step 2: Next, fill the following details in the form:
- Full Name
- Father’s Name
- Residential Address
- Educational Qualification
- Date of Birth
- Place of Birth
- Blood Group
- Identification Mark
- Step 3: Submit address proof, passport-size photos, etc.
- Step 4: You will be given a time slot for the first round of the test. The RTO officers will test your knowledge of traffic rules and regulations through an online test.
- Step 5: After passing the tests, a learner’s license will be issued to you. For obtaining a permanent driving licence, you should hold a learner’s licence for a minimum of 30 days and a maximum of 180 days.
How to Apply for Driving Licence Online in West Bengal?
For applying for driving licence online in West Bengal, you should go through the following steps-
- Step1 : Visit www.transport.wb.gov.in and download the form
- Step 2: Fill all the details in the printed copy of the form and submit it at the local RTO
- Step 3: Provide all the necessary documents
- Step 4: Get a slot for the driving test
- Step 5: Once you have passed the test, you will get your license in 2 to 3 weeks
- Step 6: The form can be also submitted and uploaded online by following the below steps-
- Step 1: Visit sarathi.nic.in
- Step 2: Click on ‘Application for new DL’.
- Step 3: Click on ‘New driving license’
- Step 4: Enter all the required details and submit all the documents
- Step 5: You will be given an application number
- Step 6: You can also schedule your driving license test
- Step 7: Appear for the test on the given day
- Step 8: If you pass the test, you will receive your driving license in a few days
Steps to Check Driving Licence Application Status Online:
Steps to check driving licence status online through State Transport Department website:
The status of the driving licence application can be checked online through any one of the two ways. First is to check out the status of the driving license on the State Transport’s official website. Second is to check the status on the Ministry of Road Transport and Highway’s official website.
- Step 1: Visit the official website of the State Transport Department of West Bengal
- Step 2: Select ‘DL and LL registration’ option.
- Step 3: In the new page that loads, click on ‘Know your application status’.
- Step 4: Enter the application number
- Step 5: Click on ‘Submit’ and the page will then display the status of your driving license.
Steps to check driving licence status online through Ministry of Road Transport and Highways official website:
- Step 1: Visit parivahan.gov.in.
- Step 2: Click on ‘Driving license-related services’.
- Step 3: Select the state you reside in.
- Step 4: On the new page that loads, click on ‘Verify status’ option
- Step 5: Enter your application number and date of birth.
- Step 6: Fill in the correct captcha code.
- Step 7: You will be shown the status of your driving license.
How to Apply for a Duplicate Driving Licence in West Bengal?
Documents required while applying for a duplicate driving license in West Bengal:
If you need to apply for a duplicate copy of driving licence in WB, you need to submit the following documents –
- Application form LLD
- FIR copy, in case the license is stolen
- Challan clearance report issued from traffic police. This is required in case of commercial driving license.
- Form 1
- Age and address proof documents.
- Original license copy
- License number if the license is stolen
- The applicant will have to get the documents photocopied and attested by a gazetted officer or notary public.
Steps to apply for a Duplicate Driving Licence in West Bengal:
After having the above documents, the applicant can apply for a duplicate driving licence in West Bengal by following the below steps.
- Step 1: Collect the form LLD, fill it and submit it at the RTO along with the above-mentioned documents.
- Step 2: Submit a fee of Rs. 250
- Step 3: After successful verification of the documents, a duplicate driving license will be provided
If you don’t remember your licence number, you need to apply for a new driving licence. Also, the request for a duplicate DL has to be made within 30 days from the loss of the document.
How to Renew Driving Licence in West Bengal?
A DL issued in West Bengal has a validity of 20 years. However, if you are 50 years of age or above before the completion of 20 years, the renewal should be processed immediately.
Documents required for renewal of driving license in WB:
- Duly filled application form 9
- A copy of the expired original driver’s licence.
- Medical certificate and Form 1 A if the driver is more than 40 years of age.
- 2 passport size photographs.
- Self-attested copies of age proof and address proof.
- Application fee of Rs.250 and receipt.
Steps to apply for a Duplicate Licence in West Bengal:
- Step 1: Visit the RTO website and select the tab for renewal.
- Step 2: Apply for the renewal and pay the fees of Rs.250- for the smart card driving licence issued in West Bengal.
- Step 3: Submit the necessary documents to expedite the request quicker. As soon as the documents will be verified, you will be issued the new driving licence.
- Step 1: Collect the form from the RTO
- Step 2: Fill and submit the form along with the relevant documents at the RTO
- Step 3: On verification of the documents, the applicant will be issued the renewed license on the same day.
- Step 1: Visit West Bengal Government’s transport website- www.uptransport.co.in
- Step 2: Download the form online and print it
- Step 3: Fill it and submit it along with the relevant documents at the RTO office.
- On verification of the documents, the driving license is issued to the applicant on the same day.
How to apply for an International Driving Licence in West Bengal?
One can apply for an international driving licence at any of the RTOs spread across the state of West Bengal. International DLs have a validity of 1 year. There is no test for getting an international permit but an applicant must already hold a permanent driving licence is mandatory.
Documents required for getting an International Driving License in West Bengal:
Following documents need to be submitted for application of an international driving licence-
- Attested copy of the permanent driving license, passport and visa
- Proof of nationality
- Attested copy of a valid residence proof
- Medical Form 1-A
- Five passport-sized photos
Steps to apply for a Duplicate Licence in West Bengal:
- Step 1: Visit the RTO website and select the tab to renewal request tab
- Step 2: Apply for renewal and pay the fees of Rs.250 for the smart card
- Step 3: Submit the required documents to expedite the request quicker. As soon as the documents will be verified, you will be issued the new driving licence.
Driving Test Procedure in West Bengal:
The driving test in West Bengal is the same as how it is in rest of the country. A Motor Vehicle Inspector overlooks the test one needs to have his own vehicle, which should be of the same class as the one for which the applicant has applied for a licence. In case you don’t own a vehicle, then you can get a motor vehicle from your driving school.
Test for Two-Wheeler & Three-Wheeler:
The test for two-wheeler and three-wheeler is conducted near the RTO. The applicant has to ride the vehicle within a border and he or she may be required to make ‘Eight’ figure without touching the poles embedded at the corners. The applicant also needs to show proper gear change, vehicle control while speed shifts, bending corners or reversing, and making ‘figure of eight’ without the feet touching the ground. If the inspector finds that the applicant can do all the above, he gives approval for a road test, where the applicant must show correct riding skills for a certain distance.
Test for Four Wheeler:
Driving test for four-wheeler is largely similar to that of two or three-wheeler. In this case, the applicant will need to drive along the marked ‘H’ without touching the columns. After clearing the test, the driver is required to drive correctly on the road. The tests for two-, three-, and four-wheelers are conducted in accordance with the guidelines under Rule 15 of the Central Vehicle Motor Act (1989). In case the candidate fails in either of the tests, a re-test is conducted within 7 days, for which a nominal fee is charged.
Tips for Clearing Your Driving Test:
- Practice well before the test so that you stay confident of your driving
- Reach the RTO a bit earlier than the scheduled time for the test to avoid any last moment delays
- Turn off the vehicle ignition only after it has come to a complete halt.
- Shift gears smoothly.
- Use the outside rear view mirrors while driving or riding.
- While turning, show an indicator and hand signal.
- The Driving test should not last more than 15 mins.
- An RTO officer will be present to see how well you drive. While driving the car, he will sit beside you to check the movement of the clutch and gear.
Q: What is the validity of a commercial driving license issued in West Bengal?
A: In WB, a commercial driving license has a validity of 3 years.
Q: How can I check my driving license status in West Bengal?
A: You can check the DL status of your license in West Bengal online at Sarathi.nic.in
Q: Do I have to give an online test before giving a driving license test at the RTO in West Bengal?
A: Yes, in West Bengal, an applicant needs to give an online test before the driving test
Q: What is the fee for DL test in West Bengal? What is the need for obtaining a driving license in West Bengal?
A: The fee for driving licence test in West Bengal is Rs. 50.