Holding a driving licence is compulsory as per the Motor Vehicle Act 1988 for anyone who wishes to use a motor vehicle, be it a two-wheeler, three-wheeler or a four-wheeler, on the public roads. In case you live in the Union Territory of Puducherry and have been thinking about how to get a driving licence without many efforts, then our post here should help you with some useful information. It will also tell you how to get a driving licence offline and online in Puducherry (PY)and even give you full information on the process of getting an international driving licence or a duplicate driving licence in Puducherry.
Table of Contents
Types of Driving Licence (DL) in Puducherry (PY)
As in other parts of the nation, even in the Union Territory of Puducherry, there are three chief categories of driving licences-
- Driving license for 2-wheeler without gear: You need to apply for this sort of driving licence if you plan to use a moped or a gearless scooter with engine size below 50cc
- Driving license for Light Motor Vehicle (LMV): You need to apply for this driving licence if you plan to use a geared two-wheeler with an engine size above 50cc or a non-commercial four-wheeler
- Driving license issued for transport vehicles: You need to get this driving licence if you wish to use a commercial vehicle
Puducherry (PY) Driving Licence (DL) – Eligibility Criteria
In the Union Territory of Puducherry, those wishing to get a driving licence should meet the below criteria –
- Should be at least 16 years old for being eligible to use a motorcycle with an engine of the size of less than 50cc
- Should be at least 18 years old for being eligible to use a motorcycle with an engine capacity of more than 50cc.
- Should be at least 20 years old for being eligible for driving a heavy transport vehicle
- Should know of all the traffic rules
- Should possess a temporary driving licence for at least 30 days but not more than 180 days
Documents Required for Driving Licence in Puducherry
The applicant should provide a self-attested copy of each of the below-mentioned documents to the RTO along with the DL application –
Just one of the below age proofs-
- Birth Certificate
- Educational certificate
- Certificate from a state/ central government if you are an employee
Just one of the below address proofs
- Voter’s ID
- Ration card
- Certificate obtained from a state/ central government or a local body if you are an employee of them
- LIC policy bond
- Application form 4
- Application form 5 if applying for commercial driving license
- Original learner’s license
- 3 passport size photographs
How to Apply for Driving Licence Offline in Puducherry (PY)?
To get a DL offline in Puducherry, you should go through the below steps-
- Step 1: Obtain an application form from the RTO
- Step 2: The form can be even downloaded from the official website and the printed copy needs to be submitted to the RTO.
- Step 3: Fill the following details:
- Full Name
- Father’s Name
- Residential Address
- Educational Qualification
- Date of Birth
- Place of Birth
- Blood Group
- Identification Mark
- Step 4: Submit the address and age proofs and passport-size photos to the RTO.
- Step 5: Obtain an appointment for the first round of the test, in which the RTO tests your knowledge of traffic rules is tested.
- Step 6: On passing the test, you’ll be issued a learner’s licence. You can apply for a permanent DL after holding a learner’s licence for at least 30 days but not more than 180 days.
How to Apply for Driving Licence Online in Puducherry?
If you want to apply for a driving licence in Puducherry, you need to go through the below steps-
- Step 1: Visit www.transport.py.gov.in and choose the Driving Licence option
- Step 2: Download the application form and print it
- Step 3: Deposit the filled form to the RTO
- Step 4: Deposit all the required documents that are mentioned above
- Step 5: Get a slot for the driving test
- Step 6: On passing the test, you will receive your license in 2 to 3 weeks
Steps to Check Driving Licence Application Status Online:
Steps to check driving licence status online through State Transport Department website:
To check the DL application status online in Puducherry, one can use either do so through the official website of the State Transport Department of Puducherry or the through the website of Ministry of Road Transport and Highway. The following process is for checking the status through the first method –
- Step 1: Visit the website of the Transport Department of Puducherry
- Step 2: Click on ‘DL and LL registration’ option.
- Step 3: A new page will load, in which, click on ‘Know your application status’.
- Step 4: Enter your application number
- Step 5: Click on the ‘Submit’ button and you will be shown the status of your application.
Steps to check driving licence status online through the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways official website:
Below is the process to check the status of driving licence application through the second method provided above-
- Step 1: Go to parivahan.gov.in.
- Step 2: Click on ‘Driving license-related services’.
- Step 3: Select the state you reside in.
- Step 4: Click on ‘Verify status’ option on the new page that loads
- Step 5: Provide your application number and DOB
- Step 6: Fill in the correct captcha code.
- Step 7: You will be shown the status of your driving license.
How to Apply for a Duplicate Driving Licence in Puducherry?
Documents required while applying for a duplicate driving license in Puducherry
Following are all the documents that are required to be provided to the local RTO to get a DL in Puducherry
- Application form LLD
- FIR copy if the DL is stolen
- Challan clearance report issued by traffic police in case of commercial driving license
- Form 1
- Copy of Age Proof and Address Proof
- Copy of Original licence
- License number if the license is stolen
All the photocopies of the documents should be attested by a notary or a gazetted officer before being submitted to the RTO
Steps to apply for a Duplicate Driving Licence in Puducherry
After payment of the fee for a duplicate driving licence, the below procedure should be followed-
- Step 1: Completed form LLD at the RTO.
- Step 2: A fee of Rs. 200
- Step 3: On successful verification, the applicant receives a duplicate copy of driving license on the same day
You will have to apply for a fresh licence in case you do not remember your driving licence’s number
How to Renew Driving Licence in Puducherry?
In Puducherry, a DL for a non-commercial vehicle is a valid for 20 years or till the time the holder get 50 years old. Once expired, the licence should be renewed every 5 years. Meanwhile, the commercial driving licence is valid for just 3 years.
Documents required for renewal of driving license in Puducherry
- Form 9
- A photocopy of Expired driver’s licence.
- Form 1A is required in case the driver’s age is more than 40 years
- 2 passport size photographs.
- Self-attested copies of age proof and address proof.
- Receipt of payment of application fee of Rs.200/-
Steps to apply for a Duplicate Licence in Puducherry
In the Union Territory of Puducherry, you can initiate the process of getting a driving licence either online or offline, as per what is more convenient for you.
- Step 1: Get the required form from the RTO
- Step 2: Fill and submit the form along with the relevant documents at the RTO
- Step 3: On verification of the documents, the applicant will be issued the renewed license on the same day.
- Step 1: Visit the official transport website of Puducherry government
- Step 2: Download the form
- Step 3: Print the form and fill it
- Step 4: Submit the form to the RTO along with the required documents
- Step 5: A duplicate DL is issued after successful verification.
How to apply for an International Driving Licence in Puducherry?
To obtain an international driving licence In Puducherry, you won’t need to give a test but it is mandatory to have a permanent driving licence to be eligible for getting the international driving licence, which has a validity of 12 months.
Documents required for getting an International Driving License in Puducherry
Following are the names of all documents that are needed to be given to the RTO when applying for an international driving licence.
- Nationality proof
- Attested copy of the permanent driving license, visa and passport
- Attested copy of a residence proof
- 5 passport-sized photos
- Medical Form 1-A
Steps to apply for a Duplicate Licence in Puducherry
- Step 1: Go to the official website of the RTO and choose the renewal option.
- Step 2: Pay a fee of Rs.200 for the duplicate licence
- Step 3: Submit the required documents to the RTO and obtain the duplicate DL on successful verification
Driving Test Procedure in Puducherry
The driving licence test in Puducherry is exactly like how it is everywhere else in the country. It is conducted as per Rule 15 of the Motor Vehicle Act, 1988. The test is conducted by a Motor Vehicle Inspector who acts as an invigilator. He has the authority to fail or pass a candidate based on the applicant performs in the test. The applicant has to take his or her own vehicle of the same class for which a DL has been applied for. In case the applicant doesn’t own a vehicle of the required category, the vehicle from the motor driving school can be used.
Test for Two-Wheeler & Three-Wheeler:
For the driving licence test for a 2 and a 3-wheeler, the applicant is asked to ride his vehicle inside a border and ride it in a fashion that the vehicle is being driven on an imaginary ‘8’ without touching his feet on the ground. Once the invigilator is satisfied, he asks the applicant to ride on a public road, where the invigilator judges how comfortable the applicant is when riding in real-world conditions. A candidate is passed or failed based on his performance.
Test for Four Wheeler
As is the case across the country, even in Puducherry, the test for driving licence for a four-wheeler is fundamentally the same as that of a two or a three-wheeler. For this test, the invigilator judges the candidate on the basis of how good he or she is while controlling the vehicle. The applicant is required to drive the vehicle on an ‘H’ pattern without coming in contact with any of the columns placed on the edges. Once the invigilator is satisfied, he asks the applicant to drive on a public road, where the driving skill of the candidate is noted. The candidate is passed if the invigilator is satisfied. In case the applicant fails, he can apply for a re-test in 7 days after paying a nominal fee.
Tips for Clearing Your Driving Test:
- Ensure you practise enough before you to take the driving test
- Do not get nervous during the test
- Reach the testing grounds a bit early to avoid last-minute delays
- Shift gears, apply brakes and make turns smoothly
- Switch off the ignition only after the vehicle has stopped
- Use indicators when turning