It isn’t a tough job to acquire a permanent driving license (DL) in Odisha (OD) as long as you are aware of the right application process. It must be noted here that having a driving license is mandatory in order to legally use a motor vehicle on the public roads of Odisha. In this post, we have come up with a detailed guide on how to get a driving licence in Odisha. Also, we have even provided the procedure to get an international driving permit and the process of renewing the driving license in Odisha.
Table of Contents
Types of Driving Licence (DL) in Odisha (OD)
Like in every other state in the country, even in Odisha, broadly, there are three categories of the driving licences to choose from as per the type of vehicle you plan to drive-
- Driving license for 2-wheeler without gear: In case you plan on using a moped or a gearless scooter, you should apply for this category of DL
- Driving license for Light Motor Vehicle (LMV): If you plan to ride a geared motorcycle or a scooter or drive a four-wheeler, this is the type of driving licence you should apply for
- Driving license issued for transport vehicles: This is the category of driving licence you should apply for in case you plan on driving a transport vehicle, which could range from a light commercial vehicle to a heavy commercial vehicle
Odisha (OD) Driving Licence (DL) – Eligibility Criteria
Again, as it is across the nation, even in Odisha, one should meet a standard set of requirements to apply for a driving licence.
- Should be 18 years old or above
- Should already have a learner’s license for at least 30 days but not more than 180 days
- Should know all traffic rules and regulations
- Should be 20 years old or above for a commercial driving license.
Documents Required for Driving Licence in Odisha
A self-attested copy of the following documents is required to be given to the RTO for getting a Driving Licence in Odisha
Any one of the below age proofs-
- Educational certificate
- Birth Certificate
- Certificate issued from the employer if you are working for state/ central government or a local body.
Any one of the below address proofs
- Voter’s ID
- Ration card
- LIC policy bond
- Employers certificate issued by local/central or state government
- Application form 4
- Application form 5 in case of applying for a commercial driving license
- Original learner’s license
- Three passport size photographs
How to Apply for Driving Licence Offline in Odisha (OD)?
In order to apply for a permanent DL In Odisha, the following process should be carefully followed by the applicant-
- Step 1: Get an application form from the nearest RTO
- Step 2: The form can be even downloaded from the official website and the printed copy needs to be submitted to the RTO.
- Step 3: Fill the following details:
- Full Name
- Father’s Name
- Residential Address
- Educational Qualification
- Date of Birth
- Place of Birth
- Blood Group
- Identification Mark
- Step 4: Submit the address and age proofs and passport-size photos.
- Step 5: Secure an appointment for the first round of the test where your know-how of traffic rules will be analyzed.
- Step 6: Once you have passed the test, you’ll be given a learner’s licence. You need to apply for a permanent one after a minimum of 30 days and a maximum of 180 days of getting a permanent licence.
How to Apply for Driving Licence Online in Odisha?
In case you plan on applying for a permanent driving licence online in Odisha, the below process is required to be followed carefully –
- Step 1: Visit www.utc.uk.gov.in and download the application form and print it
- Step 2: The filled form should be provided to the RTO
- Step 3: Submit all the aforementioned documents
- Step 4: Secure a slot for the driving test
- Step 5: Once you have passed the test, you need your license in 2 to 3 weeks
Steps to Check Driving Licence Application Status Online:
Steps to check driving licence status online through State Transport Department website:
There are two ways to check the status of your driving licence online. One is to check the application status on the State Transport’s official website while the other is to visit the official website of the Ministry of Road Transport and Highway to check the status. Below is the procedure for the first method –
- Step 1: Visit the website of the Transport Department of Odisha
- Step 2: Click on ‘DL and LL registration’ option.
- Step 3: A new page will load, in which, click on ‘Know your application status’.
- Step 4: Enter your application number
- Step 5: Click on the ‘Submit’ button and you will be shown the status of your application.
Steps to check driving licence status online through the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways official website:
Below is the procedure to check the status of the driving licence application using the second method
- Step 1: Visit parivahan.gov.in.
- Step 2: Click on ‘Driving license-related services’.
- Step 3: Select the state you reside in.
- Step 4: On the new page that loads, click on ‘Verify status’ option
- Step 5: Enter your application number and date of birth.
- Step 6: Fill in the correct captcha code.
- Step 7: You will be shown the status of your driving license.
How to Apply for a Duplicate Driving Licence in Odisha?
Documents required while applying for a duplicate driving license in Odisha
You need to produce the following documents while applying for a duplicate driving licence in Odisha
- Application form LLD
- FIR copy if the DL is stolen
- Challan clearance report issued by traffic police in case of commercial driving license
- Form 1
- Copy of Age Proof and Address Proof
- Copy of Original licence
- License number if the license is stolen
It may be noted that all photocopies of the documents should have been attested by a gazetted officer or notary public at the time of submission.
Steps to apply for a Duplicate Driving Licence in Odisha
Once the necessary documents have been given to the RTO, an application for a duplicate driving licence needs to be submitted to the RTO in Odisha
- Step 1: Submit the completed form LLD at the RTO.
- Step 2: Submit a fee of Rs. 200
- Step 3: On successful verification, a duplicate driving license will be give
In case you don’t remember your driving licence number, you will need to get a new DL. One needs to apply for a duplicate DL within 30 days of loss.
How to Renew Driving Licence in Odisha?
In case of a DL for a non-transport vehicle, the validity is 20 years or until the holder becomes 50 years old (whatever is earlier). On expiration, the document should be renewed every 5 years. A Commercial Vehicle License, on the other hand, is valid for 3 years from the date of issue or renewal.
Documents required for renewal of driving license in Odisha
- Form 9
- Copy of Expired driver’s licence.
- Form 1A if the driver’s age is more than 40 years
- 2 passport size photographs.
- Self-attested copies of age proof and address proof.
- Receipt of payment of application fee of Rs.200/-
Steps to apply for a Duplicate Licence in Odisha
In the state of Odisha, you can choose to get a duplicate copy of the DL either online or offline as per what is more convenient for you.
- Step 1: Collect the form from the RTO
- Step 2: Fill and submit the form along with the relevant documents at the RTO
- Step 3: On verification of the documents, the applicant will be issued the renewed license on the same day.
- Step 1: Visit the official transport website of Odisha government
- Step 2: Download the form and print it
- Step 3: Submit the filled form along with the required documents at the RTO office.
- On successful verification of the documents, a driving license will be issued.
How to apply for an International Driving Licence in Odisha?
In case one needs to obtain an international driving licence in Odisha, he or she can do so from any RTO in the entire state. An international DL is valid for 12 months and there is no test to be given to get this permit. However, already having a permanent DL is a must for anyone to apply for an international driving licence.
Documents required for getting an International Driving License in Odisha
In the list below, we have mentioned all the documents that are required to be given to an RTO in Odisha when applying for an international driving licence
- Nationality proof
- Attested copy of permanent driving license, visa and passport
- Attested copy of a residence proof
- 5 passport-sized photos
- Medical Form 1-A
Steps to apply for a Duplicate Licence in Odisha
- Step 1: Go to the RTO website and select the option for renewal.
- Step 2: Apply for the renewal and pay the fees of Rs.200/- for the smart card driving licence that is issued in Odisha
- Step 3: Submit the necessary documents. You will be issued the new driving licence as soon as your documents are verified
Driving Test Procedure in Odisha
The test for driving licence stays pretty much the same throughout the country. Hence, even in Odisha, it’s exactly like how it is in other parts of the country. The test is conducted by a Motor Vehicle Inspector in the RTO premises and one is required to have his or her own vehicle of the same class as for which an application for a DL is filed. In case one doesn’t have his own vehicle, he can use the vehicle of the driving school.
Test for Two-Wheeler & Three-Wheeler:
The DL test for two or three-wheelers is conducted by having the applicant ride his or her vehicle within a boundary and make a figure of ‘8’ without touching his feet to the ground. The inspector also judges an applicant on the basis of how comfortable he can shift gears, control the vehicle in the corners, etc. Once the applicant is successful in satisfying the inspector, he is given approval for a road test where he or she should ride properly for some distance on a public road.
Test for Four Wheeler:
Fundamentally speaking, the test for four-wheelers is the same as that for three or two-wheelers as even here, the prime motive is to judge how comfortable one is while using the vehicle. For four-wheeler test, the applicant has to drive along an ‘H’ marked on the ground without coming in contact with the columns. After performing to the satisfaction of the inspector, the applicant is needed to drive on a public road for some distance with the inspector in the passenger seat. If a candidate fails in either of the tests, a re-test is conducted within 7 days and a nominal fee is charged.
Tips for Clearing Your Driving Test:
- Practice well in advance
- Stay confident during the test.
- Reach early to avoid last-minute hiccups
- Don’t turn off the ignition until the vehicle has come to a complete halt.
- Change gears smoothly.
- Use all rearview mirrors of the vehicle
- When turning, show an indicator and hand signal.
Q: How to check driving license delivery status in Odisha?
A: You can check the status of your driving license application by going to- www.oltp1.orissatransport.org/ODTS/Default.aspx and click on ‘track’. Enter the application number and your DL status will be displayed. You can also check the status offline by going to the RTO.
Q: A learner’s license issued in Odisha is valid for how many years?
A: A learner’s license issued in Odisha is valid for 6 months.
Q: How can I make a change of address in my driving license issued in Odisha?
A: You can make a change of address in your DL issued in Odisha by submitting relevant documents and application form. A no-objection certificate is required if it needs to be transferred to another state. Along with this, you will also have to fill and submit the Form no. 7.
Q: Is there any fee for adding a new class of vehicle to an existing driving license?
A: Yes, you will have to pay a fee of Rs. 50 for driving test in Odisha.
Q: If I pass my learner’s license test, but if I fail during my driving license test for permanent, will I be eligible to obtain it?
A: Yes, an additional fee of Rs. 30 will be charged for the addition of a new class of vehicle to an existing driving license.