Obtaining a driving licence is very important if you plan to use a motor vehicle on public roads. As per the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988, it is mandatory for anyone who uses a vehicle to have a driving license. Unlike the popular belief, it’s not tough to obtain a driving licence in Nagaland, especially if you know the correct procedure. In this post, we have provided you with all the info on how to get a driving licence in Nagaland. We have also given the details to get an international driving permit without any hassles and the process of easily renewing the driving license in Nagaland..
Table of Contents
Types of Driving Licence (DL) in Nagaland (NL)
Basically, there are three broad categories of driving licences —
- Driving license for 2-wheeler without gear: Apply for this type of DL if you want to use a moped or a gearless scooter
- Driving license for Light Motor Vehicle (LMV): Apply for this type of DL if you plan to ride a geared two-wheeler or drive a non-commercial four-wheeler like a car or an SUV
- Driving license issued for transport vehicles: Apply for this type of driving licence if you wish to drive a commercial vehicle
Nagaland (NL) Driving Licence (DL) – Eligibility Criteria
Anyone interested in applying for a DL in Nagaland has to meet the below criteria-
- Must be at least 16 years old for using a motorcycle with an engine capacity of less than 50 CC
- For motorcycles with engine capacity of more than 50 CC, the applicant should be at least 18 years old.
- For driving a heavy transport vehicle, the applicant must be 20 years old or above.
- The applicant should know all traffic rules and regulations.
- The applicant should hold a temporary driving licence for at least 30 days but more than 180 days before applying for a permanent driving license.
Documents Required for Driving Licence in Nagaland
To apply for driving licence in Nagaland, a self-attested copy of the following documents should be submitted to the RTO-
One of the below age proofs-
- Certificate from a state/ central government if you are an employee
- Birth Certificate
- Educational certificate
One of the below address proofs
- Voter’s ID
- Ration card
- Certificate obtained from a state/ central government or a local body if you are an employee of them
- LIC policy bond
- Application form 4
- Application form 5 if applying for commercial driving license
- Original learner’s license
- 3 passport size photographs
How to Apply for Driving Licence Offline in Nagaland (NL)?
For submitting an application for a permanent DL in Nagaland, you need to go through the below steps-
- Step 1: Get an application form from the nearest RTO
- Step 2: The form can be even downloaded from the official website and the printed copy needs to be submitted to the RTO.
- Step 3: Fill the following details:
- Full Name
- Father’s Name
- Residential Address
- Educational Qualification
- Date of Birth
- Place of Birth
- Blood Group
- Identification Mark
- Step 4: Submit the address and age proofs and passport-size photos.
- Step 5: Secure an appointment for the first round of the test where your know-how of traffic rules will be analyzed.
- Step 6: Once you have passed the test, you’ll be given a learner’s licence. You need to apply for a permanent one after a minimum of 30 days and a maximum of 180 days of getting a permanent licence.
How to Apply for Driving Licence Online in Nagaland?
In case you plan to apply online, you are required to follow the procedure mentioned below-
- Step 1: Visit www.mvd.nagaland.gov.in and select the Transport Department
- Step 2: Download the application form and print it
- Step 3: The filled form should be provided to the RTO
- Step 4: Submit all the aforementioned documents
- Step 5: Get a slot for the driving test
- Step 6: Once you have passed the test, you need your license in 2 to 3 weeks
Steps to Check Driving Licence Application Status Online:
Steps to check driving licence status online through State Transport Department website:
In Nagaland, there are 2 ways to know the status of your driving licence application online. One of these is on the official website of the State Transport Department and the other is to check it on the official website of the Ministry of Road Transport and Highway. Given below is the procedure for the first method
- Step 1: Visit the website of the Transport Department of Nagaland
- Step 2: Click on ‘DL and LL registration’ option.
- Step 3: A new page will load, in which, click on ‘Know your application status’.
- Step 4: Enter your application number
- Step 5: Click on the ‘Submit’ button and you will be shown the status of your application.
Steps to check driving licence status online through the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways official website:
Here is how you can check the status of your driving licence application using the second method that we’ve given above-
- Step 1: Go to parivahan.gov.in.
- Step 2: Click on ‘Driving license-related services’.
- Step 3: Select the state you reside in.
- Step 4: Click on ‘Verify status’ option on the new page that loads
- Step 5: Provide your application number and DOB
- Step 6: Fill in the correct captcha code.
- Step 7: You will be shown the status of your driving license.
How to Apply for a Duplicate Driving Licence in Nagaland?
Documents required while applying for a duplicate driving license in Nagaland
Below are all the documents that are needed to obtain a duplicate licence in Nagaland
- Application form LLD
- FIR copy if the DL is stolen
- Challan clearance report issued by traffic police in case of commercial driving license
- Form 1
- Copy of Age Proof and Address Proof
- Copy of Original licence
- License number if the license is stolen
It is important to note here that all the photocopies of the documents should be attested by a gazetted officer or notary
Steps to apply for a Duplicate Driving Licence in Nagaland
After paying the fee for a duplicate driving licence, you need to submit the below documents to the RTO-
- Step 1: Completed form LLD at the RTO.
- Step 2: A fee of Rs. 200
- Step 3: On successful verification, the applicant receives a duplicate copy of driving license on the same day
If the applicant can’t remember the DL no., he has to apply for a fresh licence.
How to Renew Driving Licence in Nagaland?
As is the case across the nation, even in the state of Nagaland, a driving licence issued for a non-commercial vehicle is valid for 20 years or until the holder attains the age of 50 years (whichever is earlier). After this, the DL needs to be renewed every 5 years. On the other hand, in case of a commercial licence, the driving licence is valid for only 3 years.
Documents required for renewal of driving license in Nagaland
- Form 9
- Copy of Expired driver’s licence.
- Form 1A if the driver’s age is more than 40 years
- 2 passport size photographs.
- Self-attested copies of age proof and address proof.
- Receipt of payment of application fee of Rs.200/-
Steps to apply for a Duplicate Licence in Nagaland
In Nagaland, you can either initiate the procedure to apply for a duplicate DL online or offline, based on your convenience.
- Step 1: Obtain the required form from the RTO
- Step 2: Fill and submit the form along with the relevant documents at the RTO
- Step 3: On verification of the documents, the applicant will be issued the renewed license on the same day.
- Step 1: Go to the official transport website of Nagaland government
- Step 2: Download the form and print it
- Step 3: Submit it along with the required documents at the RTO office.
- Step 4: Once the documents are verified successfully, a DL is issued.
How to apply for an International Driving Licence in Nagaland?
To apply for an international driving licence, you need to visit an RTO in Nagaland. While there is no test for an international driving licence, you should hold a permanent driving licence to be eligible for getting the permit to drive internationally. The validity of an international driving licence is 12 months from the date it is issued on.
Documents required for getting an International Driving License in Nagaland
Mentioned below is a list of documents that are required to be provided to the RTO along with the application for an international driving licence.
- Nationality proof
- Attested copy of the permanent driving license, visa and passport
- Attested copy of a residence proof
- 5 passport-sized photos
- Medical Form 1-A
Steps to apply for a Duplicate Licence in Nagaland
- Step 1: Go the RTO website and select the renewal option.
- Step 2: Pay the fees of Rs.200/-
- Step 3: Submit all the required documents. A duplicate DL will be issued on successful verification of the documents.
Driving Test Procedure in Nagaland
A driving licence is conducted before an applicant receives a driving licence in Nagaland. This test is conducted as per rule 15 of the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988. It is invigilated by a motor vehicles inspector who analyzes the applicant’s driving skills. Other than that, the applicant can also be asked about some basic traffic rules and regulations. He or she needs to take his own vehicle to the test. The vehicle should be of the same type for which the applicant needs a DL. In case he doesn’t have such a vehicle, he can use the vehicle of a motor driving school.
Test for Two-Wheeler & Three-Wheeler:
In case of the driving licence test for a two or a three-wheeler in Nagaland, the candidate needs to ride the vehicle inside a boundary and showcase his riding skills by making a pattern of ‘8’ without placing his feet on the ground even once. In this test, the inspector notes how comfortable the applicant is with controlling the vehicle. If satisfied, the candidate is asked to ride on a public road. Based on how satisfied the invigilator is, the candidate is declared failed or passed.
Test for Four Wheeler:
The driving licence test for a 4-wheeler is practically the same as that for a two or a three-wheeler. Even in case of 4-wheelers, the motor vehicle inspector who supervises the test notes how comfortable the applicant is while using the vehicle. The examinee needs to drive on an ‘H’ pattern marked on the ground without coming in contact with any of the columns. On satisfying the invigilator, the applicant is then required to drive on the road. In case the applicant fails, he can apply for a retest after seven days.
Tips for Clearing Your Driving Test:
- Practice well in advance so that you remain confident enough during the test
- Go to the testing ground slightly ahead of the required time to avoid any last moment hiccups
- Turn off the ignition only after the vehicle has come to a total halt
- Use indicators on a turn
- Be smooth with shifting gears
Q: How can I check my driving license status in Nagaland?
A: You can check your driving license status in Nagaland by enquiring about it at the RTO where you have applied for it
Q: Can I apply for driving license online in Nagaland?
A: No, the state Motor Vehicles Department of Nagaland does not provide online application facility for availing a DL. However, you can download the form from the state Motor Vehicles Department website mvd.nagaland.gov.in/files/downloads.html
Q: Is smart card DL issued in Nagaland?
A: Yes, Smart Card DL is issued in Nagaland.
Q: For how long is the duplicate driving license valid?
A: A duplicate licence is valid until the same date as the original one.
Q: Do I require a medical certificate for renewal of driving license?
A: No, a medical certificate is not required fr renewal of driving licence for a non-transport vehicle. However, it’s required for renewal of commercial driving licence renewal
Q: What is the application fee for smart card DL in Nagaland? Do I have to pay any fees for driving license test?
A: The application fee for smart card DL in Nagaland is Rs 200.
Q: Do I have to pay free for Driving Licence test?
A: Yes, you have to pay a fee of Rs 50 for driving licence test.