Holding a driver’s licence is mandatory as per the Motor Vehicle Act 1988 for anyone who wishes to use a motorized vehicle on the public roads. If you are a resident of Mizoram and have been thinking of obtaining a driving licence without needing to use the services of a middle-man, our post here should offer great help. Also, along with telling you how to get a driving licence in Mizoram, we have also mentioned the procedure to obtain an international driving licence easily. This is not all as we have also described the procedure to get a duplicate licence in Mizoram.
Table of Contents
Types of Driving Licence (DL) in Mizoram (MZ)
Broadly speaking, there are three different categories of driving licences —
- Driving license for 2-wheeler without gear: One needs to obtain this kind of driving licence for using a moped or a gearless scooter below 50cc
- Driving license for Light Motor Vehicle (LMV): One should obtain this sort of driving licence for using a geared two-wheeler above 50cc or drive a non-commercial four-wheeler like a car or an SUV
- Driving license issued for transport vehicles: One should obtain this type of driving licence for driving a commercial vehicle
Mizoram (MZ) Driving Licence (DL) – Eligibility Criteria
Like everywhere else in the country, even In Mizoram, anyone who wants to obtain a driving licence should meet the following criteria-
- Should be 16 years or older for using a motorcycle with an engine of the size of less than 50cc
- Should be 18 years or older for using a motorcycle with an engine capacity of more than 50cc.
- Should be 20 years or older for getting a licence of driving a heavy transport vehicle
- Should know all the traffic rules and regulations.
- Should hold a temporary driving licence for a minimum of 30 days but not more than 180 days
Documents Required for Driving Licence in Mizoram
In order to obtain a driving licence in Mizoram, a self-attested copy of the below documents should be provided to the RTO
Just one of the below age proofs-
- Birth Certificate
- Educational certificate
- Certificate from a state/ central government if you are an employee
Just one of the below address proofs
- Voter’s ID
- Ration card
- Certificate obtained from a state/ central government or a local body if you are an employee of them
- LIC policy bond
- Application form 4
- Application form 5 if applying for commercial driving license
- Original learner’s license
- 3 passport size photographs
How to Apply for Driving Licence Offline in Mizoram (MZ)?
In order to apply for a driving license offline in Mizoram, the below process should be followed-
- Step 1: Get an application form from the nearest RTO
- Step 2: The form can be even downloaded from the official website and the printed copy needs to be submitted to the RTO.
- Step 3: Fill the following details:
- Full Name
- Father’s Name
- Residential Address
- Educational Qualification
- Date of Birth
- Place of Birth
- Blood Group
- Identification Mark
- Step 4: Provide the RTO with the address and age proofs and passport-size photos.
- Step 5: Get an appointment for the first round of the test. In this, your knowledge of traffic rules is tested.
- Step 6: On passing the test, you’ll be issued a learner’s licence. You can apply for a permanent DL after holding a learner’s licence for at least 30 days but not more than 180 days.
How to Apply for Driving Licence Online in Mizoram?
If you want to apply for driving licence online in Mizoram, the below process should be followed-
- Step 1: Visit www.transport.mizoram.gov.in and choose the Driving Licence option
- Step 2: Download the application form and print it
- Step 3: Deposit the filled form to the RTO
- Step 4: Deposit all the required documents that are mentioned above
- Step 5: Get a slot for the driving test
- Step 6: On passing the test, you will receive your license in 2 to 3 weeks
Steps to Check Driving Licence Application Status Online:
Steps to check driving licence status online through State Transport Department website:
If you want to verify the status of your driving licence application online in Mizoram, you can use any of the two available methods, i.e., you can either check it out on the website of the State Transport Department or you can check out the status on the website of Ministry of Road Transport and Highway. The following steps should be followed for the first method –
- Step 1: Visit the website of the Transport Department of Mizoram
- Step 2: Click on ‘DL and LL registration’ option.
- Step 3: A new page will load, in which, click on ‘Know your application status’.
- Step 4: Enter your application number
- Step 5: Click on the ‘Submit’ button and you will be shown the status of your application.
Steps to check driving licence status online through the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways official website:
Given below are all the steps that should be followed to verify the status of driving licence application using the second method that has been given above. –
- Step 1: Go to parivahan.gov.in.
- Step 2: Click on ‘Driving license-related services’.
- Step 3: Select the state you reside in.
- Step 4: Click on ‘Verify status’ option on the new page that loads
- Step 5: Provide your application number and DOB
- Step 6: Fill in the correct captcha code.
- Step 7: You will be shown the status of your driving license.
How to Apply for a Duplicate Driving Licence in Mizoram?
Documents required while applying for a duplicate driving license in Mizoram
Below is a list of all the documents that one needs to submit to the RTO to obtain a duplicate licence in Mizoram
- Application form LLD
- FIR copy if the DL is stolen
- Challan clearance report issued by traffic police in case of commercial driving license
- Form 1
- Copy of Age Proof and Address Proof
- Copy of Original licence
- License number if the license is stolen
It must be kept in mind that all the photocopies of the documents should be attested by a gazetted officer or notary before being submitted to the RTO
Steps to apply for a Duplicate Driving Licence in Mizoram
After paying the fee for a duplicate DL, the below procedure needs to be followed-
- Step 1: Completed form LLD at the RTO.
- Step 2: A fee of Rs. 200
- Step 3: On successful verification, the applicant receives a duplicate copy of driving license on the same day
In case you no longer remember your driving licence’s number, you will be required to apply for a new DL.
How to Renew Driving Licence in Mizoram?
Like in all states of India, in Mizoram, a DL for a non-commercial vehicle such as a car or a motorcycle is valid for 20 years or until the holder attains the age of 50 years (whatever comes first). Once the licence is expired, it needs to be renewed every 5 years. On the other hand, the validity of a commercial driving licence is just three years.
Documents required for renewal of driving license in Mizoram
- Form 9
- A photocopy of Expired driver’s licence.
- Form 1A is required in case the driver’s age is more than 40 years
- 2 passport size photographs.
- Self-attested copies of age proof and address proof.
- Receipt of payment of application fee of Rs.200/-
Steps to apply for a Duplicate Licence in Mizoram
In Mizoram, you can either start the process of obtaining a duplicate driving licence online or offline based on your convenience.
- Step 1: Get the required form from the RTO
- Step 2: Fill and submit the form along with the relevant documents at the RTO
- Step 3: On verification of the documents, the applicant will be issued the renewed license on the same day.
- Step 1: Go to the official transport website of Mizoram government
- Step 2: Download the form
- Step 3: Print the form and fill it
- Step 4: Submit the form to the RTO along with the required documents
- Step 5: A duplicate DL is issued after successful verification.
How to apply for an International Driving Licence in Mizoram?
For obtaining an international driving licence In Mizoram, you can head to any of the RTOs present in the state. You don’t need to give any test for getting an international permit but it’s mandatory to hold a permanent driving licence to obtain the international driving licence. It has a validity of 1 year.
Documents required for getting an International Driving License in Mizoram
Mentioned below are the documents that are required to be given to the RTO in order to apply for an international driving licence
- Nationality proof
- Attested copy of the permanent driving license, visa and passport
- Attested copy of a residence proof
- 5 passport-sized photos
- Medical Form 1-A
Steps to apply for a Duplicate Licence in Mizoram
- Step 1: Visit the official website of the RTO and choose the renewal option.
- Step 2: Pay a fee of Rs.200 for the duplicate licence
- Step 3: Submit the required documents to the RTO and obtain the duplicate DL on successful verification
Driving Test Procedure in Mizoram
Like it is in every state of India, the driving licence test in Mizoram is conducted as per Rule 15 of the Motor Vehicle Act, 1988. The test is overlooked by an invigilator who is a Motor Vehicle Inspector from the concerned RTO. He decides to fail or pass a candidate based on how he performs in the test. An applicant is required to take along a vehicle of the same class for which he has applied for a DL. In case he or she doesn’t own such a vehicle, the vehicle from the motor driving school can be used.
Test for Two-Wheeler & Three-Wheeler:
For the test of driving licence application of a 2 and a 3-wheeler, the applicant is required to ride inside a boundary and make figure of 8 without putting his feet on the ground. Once the invigilator is satisfied, he asks the candidate to ride on a public road. Based on the performance, he decides to fail or pass the candidate.
Test for Four Wheeler
The driving licence test for a 4-wheeler stays fundamentally similar to that of 2- or 3-wheeler. Even in this test, the invigilator decides to fail or pass a candidate based on how comfortable he or she is while driving the vehicle. A candidate is required to drive his vehicle on an ‘H’ pattern marked on the ground without touching any of the columns placed on the perimeter. If satisfied, the invigilator asks the candidate to drive on a road. He or she is passed and given a DL in case the examiner is satisfied. On failing, a candidate can apply for a re-test after 7 days. A small fee has to be paid for the re-test.
Tips for Clearing Your Driving Test:
- Ensure that you have practised well before giving the driving test
- Don’t be nervous during the test
- Reach the testing ground slightly early to avoid any last-minute hiccups
- Be smooth with shifting gears, braking and turning
- Turn the ignition off only after the vehicle has come to a complete halt
- Make use of indicators when changing directions