If you think that it’s really necessary to take the services of a middleman to get a driving licence in Manipur, you can’t be further away from the truth. Getting a driving licence is Manipur can be a pretty easy task if you’re aware of the procedure and here, in this post, we have provided you with all the info on how to get a driving licence in Manipur. We have also given the details to get an international driving permit and the process of renewing the driving license in Manipur.
Table of Contents
Types of Driving Licence (DL) in Manipur (MN)
You need to choose which driving licence to apply for based on the type of vehicle you plan to drive. Broadly speaking, there are three categories–
- Driving license for 2-wheeler without gear: Apply for this type of DL if you want to use a moped or a gearless scooter
- Driving license for Light Motor Vehicle (LMV): Apply for this type of DL if you plan to ride a geared two-wheeler or drive a non-commercial four-wheeler like a car or an SUV
- Driving license issued for transport vehicles: Apply for this type of driving licence if you wish to drive a commercial vehicle
Manipur (MN) Driving Licence (DL) – Eligibility Criteria
Anyone who wants to apply for a permanent DL needs to meet the below conditions
- Should be 18 years old or above
- Should already have a learner’s license for a minimum of 30 days but not more than 180 days
- Should be aware of all traffic rules and regulations
- Should be 20 years old or more in case of a commercial driving license application
Documents Required for Driving Licence in Manipur
In case you wish to apply for driving licence in Manipur, you should submit self-attested copies of the below documents-
One of the below age proofs-
- Certificate from a state/ central government if you are an employee
- Birth Certificate
- Educational certificate
One of the below address proofs
- Voter’s ID
- Ration card
- Certificate obtained from a state/ central government or a local body if you are an employee of them
- LIC policy bond
- Application form 4
- Application form 5 if applying for commercial driving license
- Original learner’s license
- 3 passport size photographs
How to Apply for Driving Licence Offline in Manipur (MN)?
If you want to file an application for a permanent DL in Manipur, you need to follow the following procedure-
- Step 1: Get an application form from the nearest RTO
- Step 2: The form can be even downloaded from the official website and the printed copy needs to be submitted to the RTO.
- Step 3: Fill the following details:
- Full Name
- Father’s Name
- Residential Address
- Educational Qualification
- Date of Birth
- Place of Birth
- Blood Group
- Identification Mark
- Step 4: Submit the address and age proofs and passport-size photos.
- Step 5: Secure an appointment for the first round of the test where your know-how of traffic rules will be analyzed.
- Step 6: Once you have passed the test, you’ll be given a learner’s licence. You need to apply for a permanent one after a minimum of 30 days and a maximum of 180 days of getting a permanent licence.
How to Apply for Driving Licence Online in Manipur?
In case you plan to apply online, you are required to follow the procedure mentioned below-
- Step 1: Visit www.manipurtransport.in and select the Transport Department
- Step 2: Download the application form and print it
- Step 3: The filled form should be provided to the RTO
- Step 4: Submit all the aforementioned documents
- Step 5: Get a slot for the driving test
- Step 6: Once you have passed the test, you need your license in 2 to 3 weeks
Steps to Check Driving Licence Application Status Online:
Steps to check driving licence status online through State Transport Department website:
Like everywhere else in the country, even In Manipur, there are two methods to get to know the status of your driving licence application online. First of these is through the official website of State Transport Department. Alternatively, the same can be checked even on the official website of the Ministry of Road Transport and Highway. Following is the procedure for the first method
- Step 1: Visit the website of the Transport Department of Manipur
- Step 2: Click on ‘DL and LL registration’ option.
- Step 3: A new page will load, in which, click on ‘Know your application status’.
- Step 4: Enter your application number
- Step 5: Click on the ‘Submit’ button and you will be shown the status of your application.
Steps to check driving licence status online through the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways official website:
Here is how you can check the status of your driving licence application using the second method that we’ve given above-
- Step 1: Go to parivahan.gov.in.
- Step 2: Click on ‘Driving license-related services’.
- Step 3: Select the state you reside in.
- Step 4: Click on ‘Verify status’ option on the new page that loads
- Step 5: Provide your application number and DOB
- Step 6: Fill in the correct captcha code.
- Step 7: You will be shown the status of your driving license.
How to Apply for a Duplicate Driving Licence in Manipur?
Documents required while applying for a duplicate driving license in Manipur
Below are all the documents that are needed to obtain a duplicate licence in Manipur
- Application form LLD
- FIR copy if the DL is stolen
- Challan clearance report issued by traffic police in case of commercial driving license
- Form 1
- Copy of Age Proof and Address Proof
- Copy of Original licence
- License number if the license is stolen
It is important to note here that all the photocopies of the documents should be attested by a gazetted officer or notary
Steps to apply for a Duplicate Driving Licence in Manipur
Once you have made the payment of the fee for a duplicate licence, you need to provide the below to the RTO-
- Step 1: Completed form LLD at the RTO.
- Step 2: A fee of Rs. 200
- Step 3: On successful verification, the applicant receives a duplicate copy of driving license on the same day
If the applicant can’t remember the DL no., he has to apply for a fresh licence.
How to Renew Driving Licence in Manipur?
A DL issued for a non-commercial vehicle is valid for 20 years or until the holder becomes 50 years old. After this, the DL needs to be renewed every 5 years. In case of a commercial licence, however, a driving licence is valid for only 3 years.
Documents required for renewal of driving license in Manipur
- Form 9
- Copy of Expired driver’s licence.
- Form 1A if the driver’s age is more than 40 years
- 2 passport size photographs.
- Self-attested copies of age proof and address proof.
- Receipt of payment of application fee of Rs.200/-
Steps to apply for a Duplicate Licence in Manipur
In Manipur, you can either initiate the procedure to apply for a duplicate DL online or offline, based on your convenience.
- Step 1: Obtain the required form from the RTO
- Step 2: Fill and submit the form along with the relevant documents at the RTO
- Step 3: On verification of the documents, the applicant will be issued the renewed license on the same day.
- Step 1: Go to the official transport website of Manipur government
- Step 2: Download the form and print it
- Step 3: Submit it along with the required documents at the RTO office.
- Step 4: Once the documents are verified successfully, a DL is issued.
How to apply for an International Driving Licence in Manipur?
You can apply for an international driving licence from any RTO in Manipur. There is no test that is required to be given when applying for an international driving licence but one must be a holder of a permanent driving licence to be eligible for obtaining the permit. An international driving licence is valid for 12 months.
Documents required for getting an International Driving License in Manipur
Below are all the documents that are required to be given to the RTO along with the application for an international driving licence.
- Nationality proof
- Attested copy of the permanent driving license, visa and passport
- Attested copy of a residence proof
- 5 passport-sized photos
- Medical Form 1-A
Steps to apply for a Duplicate Licence in Manipur
- Step 1: Go the RTO website and select the renewal option.
- Step 2: Pay the fees of Rs.200/-
- Step 3: Submit all the required documents. A duplicate DL will be issued on successful verification of the documents.
Driving Test Procedure in Manipur
As we have said previously, the driving test remains pretty much identical across all the states in India. No wonder then, that, even in Manipur, the main objective of the test for driving licence is to test how comfortable an applicant is with the vehicle. Like everywhere else, even in Manipur, the test is supervised by a Motor Vehicle Inspector. One must take along a vehicle of the same class for which he has applied for a DL. In case he doesn’t’ possess such a vehicle, he can take the vehicle of the motor school.
Test for Two-Wheeler & Three-Wheeler:
In case of the driving licence test for a two or a three-wheeler in Manipur, the applicant needs to use the vehicle in a clearly marked boundary and ride the vehicle in a way so as to make patterns of ‘8’ without placing his feet on the ground even once. During this test, the inspector analyzes how comfortable the applicant is with controlling the vehicle. If satisfied, the invigilator notes how good or bad an applicant is with braking, shifting gears and turning on a public road. Based on his assessment, the applicant is failed or passed by the invigilator.
Test for Four Wheeler:
The driving test for a four-wheeler is fundamentally the same as what it is for a two or a three-wheeler. Even in this case, the motor vehicle inspector tries to analyze how comfortable the applicant is with handling the vehicle. The applicant is required to drive the vehicle on an ‘H’ marked on the testing ground without coming in contact with any of the columns that are placed. If the invigilator is satisfied with the performance of the applicant, he then analyzes the candidate during a road test on a public street. On satisfaction, the application for the DL is approved. In case the applicant fails the test, he can re-apply after seven days after paying a nominal fee.
Tips for Clearing Your Driving Test:
- Practice well in advance
- Stay confident during the test
- Reach the testing ground slightly before time to avoid last moment delays
- Turn off the ignition only after the vehicle has come to a total halt
- Use indicators on a turn
- Be smooth with shifting gears
Q: How can I know my driving license status in Manipur?
A: You can either check the status offline by visiting the RTO in which you have applied for the licence or you can check it online by visiting sarathi.nic.in
Q: Is there any fee for change of address in a DL issued in Manipur?
A: Yes, you are required to pay a fee of Rs 200 in case of change of address issued in Manipur
Q: How is license delivered in Manipur?
A: In Manipur, the driving licence is delivered through Speed Post
Q: I have just shifted to Manipur from Delhi, can I renew my license here?
A: Yes, you can get your DL renewed in Manipur after obtaining a no-objection certificate from the RTO in Delhi
Q: Which are the other documents that I have to carry while driving my vehicle in Manipur?
A: The below-mentioned documents should be carried along while driving in Manipur-
1. Registration Certificate (RC)
2. PUC certificate
4. Vehicle permit, in case of transport vehicle
Q: Is smart card DL issued in Manipur?
A: A smart card DL is issued only in few major cities of Manipur