Obtaining a driving license (DL) in Karnataka is not tough as long as you are aware of the procedure to be followed. The driving license is important in case you plan to drive a vehicle on public roads of the famous South Indian state. In this post, we provide you with a guide on how to get a driving licence in Karnataka. We also tell you how to obtain an international driving permit and how to renew the driving license in Karnataka.
Table of Contents
Types of Driving Licence (DL) in Karnataka (KA)
As in rest of the country, even In Karnataka, you have to apply for a type of driving licence based on the kind of vehicle you wish to use.
- Driving license for a motorcycle without gear: If you have to ride a motorcycle or a scooter without manual gear, you should apply for this kind of DL.
- Driving license for light motor vehicles: If you plan to ride a two-wheeler with gears or a light motor vehicle such as cars, SUVs or MPVs, you need to obtain this DL.
- Driving license issued for transport vehicles: In case you plan to drive heavy motor vehicles that transport goods or passengers, you need to obtain this DL.
Karnataka (KA) Driving Licence (DL) – Eligibility Criteria
An applicant of a driving licence needs to meet the below conditions-
- Has to be at least 18 years old
- Should have a learner’s license
- Needs to apply for a permanent DL only after 30 days or within 180 days of getting a learner’s license.
- Should know all traffic rules and regulations.
- Should be at least 20 years old if applying for a commercial driving license.
Documents Required for Driving Licence in Karnataka
Following documents need to be submitted to the RTO –
One of the below for the Age proof-
- Birth Certificate
- Educational certificate
- Certificate issued from the employer if you are working for state/ central government or a local body.
One of the below for Address Proof
- Ration card
- Voter’s ID
- LIC policy bond
- Employers certificate issued by local/central or state government
- Application form 4
- Application form 5 in case of applying for a commercial driving license
- Original learner’s license
- Three passport size photographs
How to Apply for Driving Licence Offline in Karnataka(KA)?
If applying offline, you need to go through the below process-
- Step 1: Visit the RTO and collect an application form
- Step 2: The same form can be even downloaded from the official website and the printed copy can be submitted at the nearest RTO.
- Step 3: Fill the following details:
- Full Name
- Father’s Name
- Residential Address
- Educational Qualification
- Date of Birth
- Place of Birth
- Blood Group
- Identification Mark
- Step 4: Submit address proof, age proof and passport-size photos.
- Step 5: You will get an appointment for the test.
- Step 6: Your knowledge of traffic rules will be tested.
- Step 6: On passing the test, a learner’s license will be issued
How to Apply for Driving Licence Online in Karnataka(KA)?
In order to obtain a permanent driving licence online in Karnataka, the following steps need to be followed-
- Step 1: Go to transport.karnataka.gov.in and download the application form and print it
- Step 2: Submit the filled form at the RTO nearest to your residence
- Step 3: Submit all the above-mentioned documents
- Step 4: You will get a slot for the driving test
- Step 5: On passing the test, you will obtain your license in 2 to 3 weeks
Steps to Check Driving Licence Application Status Online:
Steps to check driving licence status online through State Transport Department website:
You can check the status of driving licence application online by either checking the status on the State Transport’s official website or on the official website of the Ministry of Road Transport and Highway. The same can be done through the following steps-
- Step 1: Visit the official website of the Transport Department of Karnataka
- Step 2: Click on ‘DL and LL registration’ option.
- Step 3: A new page will load, in which, click on ‘Know your application status’.
- Step 4: Enter your application number
- Step 5: Click on the ‘Submit’ button and you will be shown the status of your application.
Steps to check driving licence status online through the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways official website:
- Step 1: Visit parivahan.gov.in.
- Step 2: Click on ‘Driving license-related services’.
- Step 3: Select the state you reside in.
- Step 4: On the new page that loads, click on ‘Verify status’ option
- Step 5: Enter your application number and date of birth.
- Step 6: Fill in the correct captcha code.
- Step 7: You will be shown the status of your driving license.
How to Apply for a Duplicate Driving Licence in Karnataka?
Documents required while applying for a duplicate driving license in Karnataka:
If applying for a duplicate driving licence in Karnataka, the following documents are needed to be submitted at the RTO-
- Application form LLD
- FIR copy will be required if the DL is stolen
- Challan clearance report given by the traffic police in case of commercial driving license
- Form 1
- Copy of Age and address proof documents.
- Copy of Original licence
- License number if the license is stolen
- The photocopied documents are required to be attested by a gazetted officer or notary public.
Steps to apply for a Duplicate Driving Licence in Karnataka:
Once you have submitted the above documents, you can apply for a duplicate driving licence in Karnataka through the following steps.
- Step 1: Submit the completed form LLD at the RTO.
- Step 2: Submit a fee of Rs. 200
- Step 3: On successful verification, a duplicate driving license will be given
In case you don’t remember your licence number, you will have to apply for a new driving licence. Also, one is required to apply for a duplicate driving licence within 30 days of loss of the original copy.
How to Renew Driving Licence in Karnataka?
The DL for a Non-Transport Vehicle is valid for 20 years or until the holder attains the age of 50 years, whichever is earlier. After that, the License is renewed every 5 years. Transport Vehicle License is valid for a period of 3 years from the date of issue or renewal.
Documents required for renewal of driving license in KA:
- Filled application form 9
- A copy of the expired driver’s licence.
- Medical certificate and Form 1 A if the driver’s age is more than 40 years
- 2 passport size photographs.
- Self-attested copies of age proof and address proof.
- Application fee of Rs.200/- and receipt.
Steps to apply for a Duplicate Licence in Karnataka:
- Step 1: Visit the RTO website and select the tab for renewal.
- Step 2: Apply for the renewal and pay the fees of Rs.200/- for the smart card driving licence issued in Karnataka
- Step 3: Submit the necessary documents to expedite the request quicker. As soon as the documents will be verified, you will be issued the new driving licence.
- Step 1: Collect the form from the RTO
- Step 2: Fill and submit the form along with the relevant documents at the RTO
- Step 3: On verification of the documents, the applicant will be issued the renewed license on the same day.
- Step 1: Visit the official transport website of Karnataka government
- Step 2: Download the form and print it
- Step 3: Submit the filled form along with the required documents at the RTO office.
- On successful verification of the documents, a driving license will be issued.
How to apply for an International Driving Licence in Karnataka?
One can obtain an International driving license from any of the RTOs in Karnataka. The international driving license is valid for 12 months. While there is no test to get an international driving licence, it’s mandatory to have a permanent driving licence to apply for an international permit. A fee of Rs 500 needs to be paid.
Documents required for getting an International Driving License in Karnataka:
The following documents are needed to be submitted to the RTO when applying for an international driving licence in Karnataka
- Valid proof of nationality
- Attested copy of the valid driving license, passport and visa
- Attested copy of a valid residence proof
- Five passport-sized photos
- Medical Form 1-A
Steps to apply for a Duplicate Licence in Karnataka:
- Step 1: In order to get the driving licence renewed, you need to visit the RTO website and select the tab for renewal.
- Step 2: Apply for the renewal and pay the fees of Rs.200/- for the smart card driving licence that is issued in Karnataka
- Step 3: Submit the necessary documents. You will be issued the new driving licence as soon as your documents are verified
Driving Test Procedure in Karnataka:
In Karnataka, a Motor Vehicle Inspector supervises the driving tests for issuing of a permanent driving licence. One is required to have his own vehicle that should be of the same class as the one for which one has applied for a driving licence. In case you don’t have the required vehicle, you can use the motor vehicle from the driving school
Test for Two-Wheeler & Three-Wheeler
The applicant for a DL for two-wheeler or three-wheeler has to ride his or her vehicle within a given border and make ‘Eight’ figure without touching the poles embedded at the corners. The inspector will even analyse how comfortably the applicant can change gears, control vehicle in corners or reversing, and during the making of ‘figure of eight’ without the feet touching the ground. In case the applicant is successful in satisfying the inspector, he is given an approval for a road test where he or she should ride properly for some distance on a public road.
Test for Four Wheeler:
Driving test for four-wheeler is mostly similar in nature to that of two or three-wheeler. However, in this case, the applicant is required to drive along the marked ‘H’ without touching the columns. Once the applicant has satisfied the inspected with his driving skills, he or she is required to drive properly for some distance on a public road. In case a candidate fails in either of the tests, a re-test is conducted within 7 days and a nominal fee is charged.
Tips for Clearing Your Driving Test:
- Practice in advance so that you are confident of your driving skills.
- Arrive a little early for the test
- Don’t turn off the bike or car till it has come to a total halt.
- Shift gears smoothly.
- Use both side and rear mirrors while riding.
- While turning, show an indicator and hand signal.
- The Driving test should not last more than 15 mins.
- An RTO officer will be present to see how well you drive. While driving the car, he will sit beside you to check the movement of the clutch and gear.
Q: Is it compulsory to get a Smart Card DL?
A: No, it’s not mandatory to have a smart card DL but it’s better to have one than a paper version. Most states in India provide DLs only in the smart card format now.
Q: What is the eligibility criteria for getting an IDP?
A: You should have a permanent driving licence for getting an international driving permit.
Q: What documents should you submit at the time of IDP application?
A: Following documents are required to be submitted to obtain an IDP- Visa Copy, Passport Copy, Ticket Copy, Original as well as copy of your Driving Licence, medical certificate, application form, nationality proof and 3 passport-size photographs.
Q: How much are the fees for IDP application?
A: You have to pay a fee of Rs 500 to get an International Driving Permit. It comes with 1-year validity.
Q: How much time does it take to receive the IDP?
A: If you request for an IDP on an urgent basis, you’ll get it within 7 working days. Else, it takes up to 3 weeks.