Obtaining a driving license in Jammu and Kashmir (J&K) is not at all tough if you are aware of the process required to be followed. The DL is a highly necessary document if you plan on driving or riding a motorized vehicle on the public streets of Jammu and Kashmir. Here, we have come up with a detailed guide on how to apply for driving licence in Jammu and Kashmir. We have also provided all the required data on how to obtain an international driving permit and how to renew the driving license in Jammu and Kashmir.
Table of Contents
Types of Driving Licence (DL) in Jammu and Kashmir (J&K)
Based on the type of vehicle you plan to drive, you can apply for the DL at an RTO in your location
- Driving license for motorcycles without gear: You should obtain a DL of this type if you plan to use a two-wheeler that don’t have gear.
- Driving license issued for light motor vehicles: This is the type of DL you need to obtain in case you plan to use a two-wheeler with gears or a private motor vehicle (cars, SUVs, MPVs).
- Driving license issued for transport vehicles: If you want to drive heavy motor vehicles for transportation of goods or passengers, you should obtain this DL.
Jammu and Kashmir (J&K) Driving Licence (DL) – Eligibility Criteria
The following conditions are needed to be met by an applicant if he or she wants to obtain a driving licence in Jammu and Kashmir (J&K)-
- Should be a minimum of 18 years old
- Should already have a learner’s license
- Should apply for a permanent DL after 30 days or within 180 days of obtaining a learner’s license.
- Should know of all the traffic rules and regulations.
- In the case of a commercial driving license, one should be at least 20 years old.
Documents Required for Driving Licence in Jammu and Kashmir
For applying for a driving licence in Jammu and Kashmir, the applicant should submit the following documents to the RTO
One of the following for the Age proof-
- High school passing certificate
- Birth certificate
- Attested copy of the passport
- Certificate issued from the employer if you are working for state/ central government or a local body.
One of the following for Address Proof
- Voter’s ID
- Ration card
- LIC policy bond
- Valid passport
- Employers certificate issued by local/central or state government
- Application form 4
- Application form 5 in case of applying for a commercial driving license
- Original learner’s license
- Three passport size photographs
How to Apply for Driving Licence Offline in Jammu and Kashmir (J&K)?
If applying for a permanent driving license offline in Jammu and Kashmir, you are required to go through the following procedure:
- Step 1: Visit the nearest RTO and get the application form. Alternatively, you can download the form from the official website of the RTO
- Step 2: Next, fill the following details in the form:
- Full Name
- Father’s Name
- Residential Address
- Educational Qualification
- Date of Birth
- Place of Birth
- Blood Group
- Identification Mark
- Step 3: Submit address proof, passport-size photos, etc.
- Step 4: You will be given a time slot for the first round of the test. The RTO officers will test your knowledge of traffic rules and regulations through an online test.
- Step 5: After passing the tests, a learner’s license will be issued to you. For obtaining a permanent driving licence, you should hold a learner’s licence for a minimum of 30 days and a maximum of 180 days.
How to Apply for Driving Licence Online in Jammu and Kashmir?
In case one wishes to apply for a permanent DL online in J&K, he or she is required to go through the below steps-
- Step1 : Visit www.jaktrans.nic.in and download the form
- Step 2: Fill all the details in the printed copy of the form and submit it at the local RTO
- Step 3: Provide all the necessary documents
- Step 4: Get a slot for the driving test
- Step 5: Once you have passed the test, you will get your license in 2 to 3 weeks
- Step 6: The form can be also submitted and uploaded online by following the below steps-
- Step 1: Visit sarathi.nic.in
- Step 2: Click on ‘Application for new DL’.
- Step 3: Click on ‘New driving license’
- Step 4: Enter all the required details and submit all the documents
- Step 5: You will be given an application number
- Step 6: You can also schedule your driving license test
- Step 7: Appear for the test on the given day
- Step 8: If you pass the test, you will receive your driving license in a few days
Steps to Check Driving Licence Application Status Online:
Steps to check driving licence status online through State Transport Department website:
Anyone who has applied for a driving licence can check the status of their driving licence application online either on the State Transport’s official website or on the official website of Ministry of Road Transport and Highway. Below are the steps for the former procedure-
- Step 1: Visit the official website of the State Transport Department of Jammu and Kashmir
- Step 2: Select ‘DL and LL registration’ option.
- Step 3: In the new page that loads, click on ‘Know your application status’.
- Step 4: Enter the application number
- Step 5: Click on ‘Submit’ and the page will then display the status of your driving license.
Steps to check driving licence status online through Ministry of Road Transport and Highways official website:
- Step 1: Visit parivahan.gov.in.
- Step 2: Click on ‘Driving license-related services’.
- Step 3: Select the state you reside in.
- Step 4: On the new page that loads, click on ‘Verify status’ option
- Step 5: Enter your application number and date of birth.
- Step 6: Fill in the correct captcha code.
- Step 7: You will be shown the status of your driving license.
How to Apply for a Duplicate Driving Licence in Jammu and Kashmir?
Documents required while applying for a duplicate driving license in Jammu and Kashmir
If applying for a duplicate DL in J&K, the applicant is required to submit the below documents to the RTO-
- Application form LLD
- FIR copy, in case the license is stolen
- Challan clearance report issued from traffic police. This is required in case of commercial driving license.
- Form 1
- Age and address proof documents.
- Original license copy
- License number if the license is stolen
- The applicant will have to get the documents photocopied and attested by a gazetted officer or notary public.
Steps to apply for a Duplicate Driving Licence in Jammu and Kashmir
Once the applicant has all the above documents, he or she can apply for a duplicate DL in Jammu and Kashmir through the following steps-
- Step 1: Collect the form LLD, fill it and submit it at the RTO along with the above-mentioned documents.
- Step 2: Submit a fee of Rs. 200
- Step 3: After successful verification of the documents, a duplicate driving license will be provided
If you don’t remember your licence number, you need to apply for a new driving licence. Also, the request for a duplicate DL has to be made within 30 days from the loss of the document.
How to Renew Driving Licence in Jammu and Kashmir?
A driving licence that has been issued in Jammu and Kashmir has a validity of 20 years. That said, if the applicant turns 50 years of age before the completion of 20 years, the renewal is required immediately.
Documents required for renewal of driving license in J&K
- Application form 9
- A copy of the expired DL
- Form 1 A with the medical certification of driver’s fitness in case he is more than 40 years of age.
- 2 passport size photographs.
- Self-attested copies of age proof and address proof.
- Receipt of application fee of Rs.200/-
Steps to apply for a Duplicate Licence in Jammu and Kashmir
- Step 1: Visit the RTO website and press the option for renewal
- Step 2: Apply for the renewal and pay the fees of Rs.200/- for the smart card driving licence issued in Jammu and Kashmir
- Step 3: Submit the necessary documents to expedite the request quicker. As soon as the documents will be verified, you will be issued the new driving licence.
- Step 1: Collect the relevant form from the RTO
- Step 2: Submit the filled form along with the relevant documents to the RTO
- Step 3: The applicant will receive the renewed license as soon as the documents are verified
- Step 1: Visit Jammu and Kashmir Government’s transport website- www.jaktrans.nic.in
- Step 2: Download the form online and print it
- Step 3: Fill it and submit it along with the relevant documents at the RTO office.
How to apply for an International Driving Licence in Jammu and Kashmir?
International DLs can be taken from any of the RTOs in Jammu and Kashmir. They have a validity of 1 year. While there is no test for getting an international permit to drive, having a permanent driving licence is mandatory.
Documents required for getting an International Driving License in Jammu and Kashmir
Below-mentioned documents are to be provided to the RTO for application of an international driving licence-
- Proof of nationality
- Attested copy of the permanent driving license
- Attested copy of the passport
- Attested copy of the visa
- Attested copy of a valid residence proof
- Five passport-sized photos
- Medical Form 1-A
Steps to apply for a Duplicate Licence in Jammu and Kashmir
- Step 1: Visit the RTO website and select the option to request the renewal.
- Step 2: Apply for renewal and pay Rs.200/- fee for the smart card DL issued in J&K
- Step 3: Submit the required documents
A duplicate DL will be provided as soon as the documents are verified
Driving Test Procedure in Jammu and Kashmir
As is the case in other parts of the country, even in Jammu and Kashmir, the driving license test is conducted under the supervision of a Motor Vehicle Inspector. Irrespective of whether the candidate has applied online or offline, one needs to visit the RTO to give a test. He or she is also required to take along a vehicle of the same class for which the test will be conducted. For this, a vehicle can be borrowed from the driving school.
Test for Two-Wheeler & Three-Wheeler
For the test for two-wheeler and three-wheeler driving licence, the applicant needs to ride the vehicle within a boundary and he or she is required to make ‘Eight’ figure without touching the feet to the ground. The applicant is also needed to show smooth gear change, vehicle control while speed shifts, bending corners or reversing, and making ‘figure of eight’ without the feet touching the ground. If the inspector finds that the applicant can do all the above, he gives approval for a road test, where the applicant must show correct riding skills for a certain distance.
Test for Four Wheeler:
The test for driving licence for four-wheeler is fundamentally the same as that of two or three-wheelers. In the case of four-wheelers, one needs to drive on a marked ‘H’ without coming in contact with the columns.
All the driving tests, be it for four-wheelers of two or three-wheelers, are conducted as per the guidelines issued under Rule 15 of the Central Vehicle Motor Act (1989). In case the candidate fails, he can reappear in 7 days after paying a nominal fee.
Tips for Clearing Your Driving Test:
- Practice well in advance
- Be confident of your driving skills in front of the invigilator
- Reach a bit early for the test
- Don’t turn off the vehicle until it stops completely
- Change gears smoothly.
- Use all rearview mirrors present on the vehicle
- Use indicators and hand signal on turns.
Q: How to check driving license status in Jammu and Kashmir?
A: You can check the status of your DL in Jammu and Kashmir on sarathi.nic.in or can enquire about it offline at the RTO where you applied for it.
Q: What is the validity of commercial license issued in J&K?
A: The validity of commercial license issued in J&K is 3 years.
Q: Can I get a driving license through driving training school?
A: It is not possible to obtain a driving licence through driving license school. You can just apply for it through the school.
Q: What is the validity of learner’s license in J&K?
A: The validity of a learner’s driving licence in J&K is 6 months.
Q: In how many days is a renewed DL issued in Jammu and Kashmir?
A: It takes a week to get a renewed DL in Jammu and Kashmir.