It is quite easy to get a permanent driving license (DL) in Himachal Pradesh (HP), especially if you know the right application procedure. We have given a detailed guide on how to get a driving licence in Himachal Pradesh. Also, we have even provided the procedure to get an international driving permit and the process of renewing the driving license in Himachal Pradesh.
Table of Contents
Types of Driving Licence (DL) in Himachal Pradesh (HP)
In Himachal Pradesh, there are three broad categories of the driving licences (DLs) for one to choose from according to the category of the vehicle the applicant plans to use-
- Driving license for 2-wheeler without gear: If you wish to use a moped or a gearless scooter, you should apply for this category of DL
- Driving license for Light Motor Vehicle (LMV): If you wish to use a geared two-wheeler or drive a four-wheeler, this is the kind of DL you should have
- Driving license issued for transport vehicles: Those who plan on driving a transport vehicle need to apply for this DL.
Himachal Pradesh (HP) Driving Licence (DL) – Eligibility Criteria
In Himachal Pradesh, like in all other states of the country, the applicant needs to meet a set of requirements to be eligible for applying for a driving licence.
- Must be 18 years of age or more
- Must already have a learner’s license for at least 30 days but not more than 180 days
- Must be aware of all traffic rules and regulations
- Must be at least 20 years of age for a commercial driving license.
Documents Required for Driving Licence in Himachal Pradesh
For applying for a DL, one needs to provide a self-attested copy of the following documents to an RTO in Himachal Pradesh
One of the below age proofs-
- Birth Certificate
- Certificate issued from the employer if you are working for state/ central government or a local body.
- Educational certificate
One of the below address proofs
- Voter’s ID
- Ration card
- Employers certificate issued by local/central or state government
- LIC policy bond
- Application form 4
- Application form 5 in case of applying for a commercial driving license
- Original learner’s license
- Three passport size photographs
How to Apply for Driving Licence Offline in Himachal Pradesh (HP)?
To apply for a permanent driving licence In Himachal Pradesh, the process mentioned below needs to be followed-
- Step 1: Get an application form from the nearest RTO
- Step 2: The form can be even downloaded from the official website and the printed copy needs to be submitted to the RTO.
- Step 3: Fill the following details:
- Full Name
- Father’s Name
- Residential Address
- Educational Qualification
- Date of Birth
- Place of Birth
- Blood Group
- Identification Mark
- Step 4: Submit the address and age proofs and passport-size photos.
- Step 5: Secure an appointment for the first round of the test where your know-how of traffic rules will be analyzed.
- Step 6: Once you have passed the test, you’ll be given a learner’s licence. You need to apply for a permanent one after a minimum of 30 days and a maximum of 180 days of getting a permanent licence.
How to Apply for Driving Licence Online in Himachal Pradesh?
In case you apply online, the below process is required to be followed carefully –
- Step 1: Visit www.himachal.nic.in and select the Transport Department
- Step 2: Download the application form and print it
- Step 3: The filled form should be provided to the RTO
- Step 4: Submit all the aforementioned documents
- Step 5: Secure a slot for the driving test
- Step 6: Once you have passed the test, you need your license in 2 to 3 weeks
Steps to Check Driving Licence Application Status Online:
Steps to check driving licence status online through State Transport Department website:
You can check the status of your DL application online by either of the two available options. One of it is to check the application status on the State Transport’s official website and the other is to go to the website of the Ministry of Road Transport and Highway and check the status over there. Below is the procedure for the first method –
- Step 1: Visit the website of the Transport Department of Himachal Pradesh
- Step 2: Click on ‘DL and LL registration’ option.
- Step 3: A new page will load, in which, click on ‘Know your application status’.
- Step 4: Enter your application number
- Step 5: Click on the ‘Submit’ button and you will be shown the status of your application.
Steps to check driving licence status online through the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways official website:
Following is the procedure to check out the status of the application for DL using the second method
- Step 1: Visit parivahan.gov.in.
- Step 2: Click on ‘Driving license-related services’.
- Step 3: Select the state you reside in.
- Step 4: On the new page that loads, click on ‘Verify status’ option
- Step 5: Enter your application number and date of birth.
- Step 6: Fill in the correct captcha code.
- Step 7: You will be shown the status of your driving license.
How to Apply for a Duplicate Driving Licence in Himachal Pradesh?
Documents required while applying for a duplicate driving license in Himachal Pradesh
The below-mentioned documents are required to be submitted to the RTO if you plan to apply for a duplicate driving licence in Himachal Pradesh
- Application form LLD
- FIR copy if the DL is stolen
- Challan clearance report issued by traffic police in case of commercial driving license
- Form 1
- Copy of Age Proof and Address Proof
- Copy of Original licence
- License number if the license is stolen
All photocopies that are to be submitted should be attested by a gazetted officer or notary public
Steps to apply for a Duplicate Driving Licence in Himachal Pradesh
After submitting the required documents, an applicant for a duplicate DL has to submit the following to the RTO in HP
- Step 1: Completed form LLD at the RTO.
- Step 2: A fee of Rs. 200
- Step 3: On successful verification, the applicant receives a duplicate copy of driving license on the same day
If you do not remember your DL number, you will have to apply for a fresh licence. Also, one needs to apply for a duplicate licence within 30 days of loss of original copy
How to Renew Driving Licence in Himachal Pradesh?
The validity of a driving licence of a non-transport vehicle is 20 years or until the holder becomes 50 years of age (whichever is earlier). However, after expiry, it has to be renewed after every 5 years. On the other hand, the validity of a cemmrical vehicle licence is 3 years.
Documents required for renewal of driving license in Himachal Pradesh
- Form 9
- Copy of Expired driver’s licence.
- Form 1A if the driver’s age is more than 40 years
- 2 passport size photographs.
- Self-attested copies of age proof and address proof.
- Receipt of payment of application fee of Rs.200/-
Steps to apply for a Duplicate Licence in Himachal Pradesh
In Himachal Pradesh, you can either get a duplicate DL online or you can obtain it offline. Below are the procedures for both the methods.
- Step 1: Collect the form from the RTO
- Step 2: Fill and submit the form along with the relevant documents at the RTO
- Step 3: On verification of the documents, the applicant will be issued the renewed license on the same day.
- Step 1: Visit the official transport website of Himachal Pradesh government
- Step 2: Download the form and print it
- Step 3: Submit the filled form along with the required documents at the RTO office.
- On successful verification of the documents, a driving license will be issued.
How to apply for an International Driving Licence in Himachal Pradesh?
In case one needs to obtain an international driving licence in Himachal Pradesh, he or she can do so from any RTO in the entire state. An international DL is valid for 12 months and there is no test to be given to get this permit. However, already having a permanent DL is a must for anyone to apply for an international driving licence.
Documents required for getting an International Driving License in Himachal Pradesh
Following are all the documents that are needed to be provided to an RTO in Himachal Pradesh for obtaining an international driving licence
- Nationality proof
- Attested copy of permanent driving license, visa and passport
- Attested copy of a residence proof
- 5 passport-sized photos
- Medical Form 1-A
Steps to apply for a Duplicate Licence in Himachal Pradesh
- Step 1: Visit the RTO website and click on the renewal option.
- Step 2: Apply for the renewal and pay the fees of Rs.200/-
- Step 3: Submit the necessary documents. You will be issued the new driving licence as soon as your documents are verified
Driving Test Procedure in Himachal Pradesh
The driving licence test in HP is pretty much exactly like how it is in other states of the country. A Motor Vehicle Inspector supervises the test, which is conducted in the RTO premises. An applicant is required to have his own vehicle of the same category for. which he has applied for a DL. In case he doesn’t have the required vehicle, he can use the vehicle of the driving school.
Test for Two-Wheeler & Three-Wheeler:
The test for driving licence for two or three-wheelers is conducted by having the applicant ride his vehicle inside a boundary and ride in a pattern of ‘8’ without having his feet touch the ground. The inspector also analyzes an applicant on the basis of how comfortable he is while shifting gears, cornering, etc. Once the applicant has performed to inspector’s satisfaction, he is given approval for a road test on public roads.
Test for Four Wheeler:
Fundamentally, the test for four-wheelers is more or less the same as that for three or two-wheelers, which means its main motive is to help the invigilator figure out how comfortable one is while using the vehicle. The applicant needs to drive on an ‘H’ marked on the ground without coming in contact with the columns. After performing to the satisfaction of the inspector, the applicant is needed to drive on a public road for some distance with the inspector in the passenger seat. If a candidate fails in either of the tests, a re-test is conducted within 7 days and a nominal fee is charged.
Tips for Clearing Your Driving Test:
- Practice well in advance so that you stay confident during the test.
- Reach on time
- Don’t turn off the vehicle’s engine until the vehicle has come stopped completely
- Change gears smoothly.
- Use all rearview mirrors
- Show an indicator and hand signals on a turn
Q: How to check driving license status in Himachal Pradesh?
A: In Himachal Pradesh, the status of an application for Driving license status can be verified online on sarathi.nic.in. One can even check the status offline by visiting the RTO.
Q: Driving license for transport vehicle issued in Himachal Pradesh is valid for how many years?
A: Driving license for transport vehicle issued in Himachal Pradesh is valid for three years.
Q: Is there any penalty on late renewal of driving license in Himachal Pradesh?
A: An applicant has to pay a penalty of Rs 300 for late application of renewal in Himachal Pradesh
Q: Is smart card DL issued in the state of Himachal Pradesh?
A: Yes, the DL in Himachal Pradesh is issued in smart card format.
Q: How can I apply for smart card DL in Himachal Pradesh?
A: You can get a DL in smart card format in HP by filling form 7 and paying a fee of Rs 200.