The Andaman and Nicobar islands are extremely popular in terms of tourism and that is the biggest reason behind the increase in population in the Union Territory over the years. As the population has increased, the vehicle count has also increased. The majority of the people in Andaman and Nicobar know how to drive and own their own vehicles. The Motor Vehicles Act of 1988 has made it mandatory for everyone who wants to drive to first hold a valid driving licence. In India, the driving licence is valid for up to 20 years. The licence holder must renew the licence when the expiry date is reached. In Andaman and Nicobar, driving licence holders can renew their licences by getting online on a smartphone or computer. The renewal process can also be done offline by visiting one of the closest RTO offices.
A permanent driving licence (DL) is issued to an applicant once they clear their learner’s licence test and are considered eligible. Renewing a driving licence in Andaman and Nicobar can be done online as well as offline. Let us take a closer look at the process.
Table of Contents
Documents required for renewal of a driving license in Andaman and Nicobar
When you have to renew your driving licence in Andaman and Nicobar, you have to prepare the necessary forms and documents that are required to complete the process. Here is what you need when renewing your permanent driving licence in Andaman and Nicobar:
- Form 9 correctly filled and signed by the applicant.
- Copies of the original driving licence that has expired.
- If the driver is over 40 years of age, correctly filled out Form 1A and a Medical Certificate.
- 2 Passport-Sized Photos.
- Copies of drivers Age and Address proof with self-attestation.
- Fees for the renewal application (Rs. 200) along with the receipt.
If you are the holder of a permanent driving licence in Andaman and Nicobar and the expiry date of the licence is approaching, you can either choose to renew it before the deadline date or choose to renew it as soon as the deadline date is reached. Here are the steps you need to follow when you have to renew your driving licence in Andaman and Nicobar:
Types of Driving License in Andaman and Nicobar Islands
There are different types of vehicles that are available in Andaman and Nicobar Islands and used by individuals for different purposes. You should apply for the license in Andaman and Nicobar Islands depending on the vehicle/ vehicles you might be driving. The types of Driving license in Andaman and Nicobar Islands can be categorized as
- Two wheeler license- for motorcycles with engine capacity of 50cc or even less than that.
- Light Motor Vehicle license for motorcycles with gear and an engine capacity over 50cc as well as cars.
- Motorcycle license for any cc vehicle but without gears. Mopeds and scooters fall under this category.
- Light motor vehicle license for the non-transport purpose
- Light motor vehicle for commercial purpose
- Heavy Passenger motor vehicle license or open license. It is also called the All India driving permit for cars and trucks.
- Heavy goods motor vehicle license
- Heavy trailer license for persons who already possess a heavy vehicle Driving license.
How to obtain Learner’s Driving Licence
When you are in the process of learning to drive a motored-vehicle, you should do it with the trainer by your side and also should have the learner’s licence. The learner’s licence can be obtained by applying for the same at one of the 99 RTO’s across Andaman and Nicobar Islands that is closest to the place you live. The requirements for obtaining the learner’s licence from RTO Andaman and Nicobar Islands are
- The applicant must be at least 16 years old to get LLR for 50cc motorcycle and 18 years for driving geared motorcycles
- A declaration signed b the parent or guardian has to be submitted at Andaman and Nicobar Islands
- The applicant should be at least20 years old to obtain a licence to drive bus, taxi, auto, etc.
- CMV-Form 1A that is issued by a registered medical practitioner has to be provided
- At least a year’s experience is required for driving Light Motor Vehicle (LMV)
Steps to apply for a Duplicate Licence in Andaman and Nicobar
If your driving license is stolen or lost, you will have to apply for a duplicate one. Here are the steps you need to follow.
Documents required to apply for a Duplicate Licence in Andaman and Nicobar:
- Filled and signed application form.
- Copies of an affidavit, an F.I.R, and a complaint.
- Form No. 1.
- Self-attested copy of residence proof.
- Rs. 400 duplicate license fees and receipt.
- Certificate of fitness.
Offline Procedure For Duplicate Driving Licence
- Step 1: Visit the RTO office or website and correctly fill in the LLD form.
- Step 2: Attach the requested documents
- Step 3: Attach two passport-sized photographs.
- Step 4: Enter the details of the misplaced/stolen learner’s licence.
- Step 5: Lodge an FIR if the learner’s license was stolen and attach a copy of it with the form.
- Step 6: Pay the requested application fees.
Online Procedure For Duplicate Driving Licence
- Step 1: Visit the Parivahan Sewa website https://parivahan.gov.in/.
- Step 2: Click on “Online Services”.
- Step 3: Choose “Driving Licence Related Services”.
- Step 4: Select the State from the drop-down.
- Step 5: From the new page, select “Upload Documents”.
- Step 6: Upload the documents requested and click on “Next”.
- Step 7: Click “Ok” to continue with uploading documents.
- Step 8: Select and upload “Address Proof” and click “Confirm”.
- Step 9: Select and upload “Age-Proof” and click “Confirm”.
- Step 10: Click “Next” after uploading all documents.
- Step 11: Choose the “Fee Payment” option and select “Next”.
- Step 12: Choose “Click here to continue e-Payment”.
- Step 13: Follow the instructions carefully and “Proceed for Payment”.
- Step 14: Click on “Continue” and then “Print Receipt” once the payment is completed.
How to Renew of Driving Licence in Andaman and Nicobar Islands – Offline Procedure
Here are the steps you should follow to renew your expired driving licence through the offline method. While the offline process is considered as slow, it is thought to be the more reliable way to renew your driving licence.
- Step 1: Visit the RTO nearest to your registered address.
- Step 2: Request for the renewal application form or Form 9.
- Step 3: Correctly fill out the form.
- Step 4: Attach copies of the expired driving licence.
- Step 5: Attach Form 1A and a Medical Certificate if the holder is over 40 years of age.
- Step 6: Attach 2 passport-size photographs with the Application form.
- Step 7: Attach copies of the holder’s Age Proof and Address Proof.
- Step 8: Pay the driving licence renewal fees of Rs. 200 at the RTO.
- Step 9: Once the forms and documents are verified, your renewed driving licence will be issued.
How to Renew of Driving Licence in Andaman and Nicobar Islands – Online Renewal Procedure
Renewing your Driving Licence online is quite obviously the best option and requires very little effort and time. Applicants can renew their driving licences from practically anywhere using a mobile device connected to the internet. Here are the steps you can follow to renew your driving licence online in Bihar:
- Step 1: Visit the RTO website – https://parivahan.gov.in/parivahan/
- Step 2: Hover the cursor over the “Online Services” tab.
- Step 3: Click on “Driving Licence Related Services”.
- Step 4: On the next page, choose “Andaman & Nicobar” from the drop-down menu.
- Step 5: Choose the RTO from where you want to renew your Driving Licence.
- Step 6: Click on the “Apply Online” tab from the menu on the left.
- Step 7: From the drop-down menu, click on “Services on Driving Licence”.
- Step 8: Read the Instructions for Application Submission and click “Continue”.
- Step 9: Enter the required information in the Driving Licence Number, DOB, Category of the Driving Licence Holder, Apply to State, and RTO boxes.
- Step 10: Click “Proceed”.
- Step 11: Confirm the details mentioned on the next page and “Continue”.
- Step 12: On the next page, choose the services you wish to update and click “Proceed”.
- Step 13: Choose the RENEWAL option, enter the required information, and press “Confirm”.
- Step 14: Read all the details carefully before you “Print” the acknowledgment.
- Step 15: Take the printed acknowledgment to the RTO and submit it on the designated date.
- Step 16: Once the verification process is completed, the new driving licence will be delivered by post.
Steps to apply for Learner’s Driving licence in Andaman and Nicobar Islands
Steps in acquiring the licence include
- Visiting the official website of RTO Andaman and Nicobar Islands
- Click on the Get new learner licence appointment option to fill in the required form online.
- Enter the details that are requested in the form online and submit it at RTO
- When you are doing it online you would come across a display where you would find the time and date of test slots that are available. You can choose the time slot and date as per your convenience.
- Click on the make payment button, fill in the net banking details and click pay.
- Visit the nearest Jurisdiction Andaman and Nicobar Islands RTO with the receipt for application, Form no 2 as well as original and attested photocopies of the documents that are required and give the test at the allotted time.
The documents would be verified and returned and the online test to check the applicant’s knowledge about traffic rules and regulations would be held. The LLR would be issued if the test is cleared. The learner’s licence is valid only for 6 months within which time the permanent licence should be obtained.
The documents required for learner’s Driving licence includes
- Form 2- the application for licence in Andaman and Nicobar Islands RTO
- Form 1A- the medical certificate
- Form 1- self-declaration of physical fitness
- The fees
- 3 passport size photographs
- Proof of address such as Aadhar card, CGHS card, Voter’s ID, LIC policy or others.
- Proof of age such as school leaving certificate, birth certificate, voter’s ID, etc.
Documents required to apply for Driving Licence in Andaman and Nicobar Islands
The documents required for applying for driving licence in Andaman and Nicobar Islands RTO includes
- Age proof for which one of the documents such as Aadhar card, voter’s ID, Passport, Utility bills, house rent agreement, house agreement, etc may be produced.
- Address proof for which PAN card, birth certificate, school leaving certificate or the SSC mark list can be produced.
- 3 passport size photographs
- Form 4 which is the application for driving licence in Andaman and Nicobar Islands RTO
- Application fee
- A driver training certificate, if applying for a commercial driving licence.
How to Get an International Driving Licence in Andaman and Nicobar Islands
The application for international licence can be done online or offline in Andaman and Nicobar Islands RTO. The application and the documents required such as valid passport, valid visa, form 4A –the application, application fee, and age and address proof documents. It would be followed by 3 months from the date of issuance of the permanent licence. After the verification and the tests the IDP is issued.